PDA

View Full Version : Karl Rove and the Case of the Missing E-mail

SnakebyteXX
10-09-2005, 12:32 PM
CIA Leak: Karl Rove and the Case of the Missing E-mail

Newsweek
Oct. 17, 2005 issue -

The White House's handling of a potentially crucial e-mail sent by senior aide Karl Rove two years ago set off a chain of events that has led special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald to summon Rove for a fourth grand jury appearance this week. His return has created heightened concern among White House officials and their allies that Fitzgerald may be preparing to bring indictments when a federal grand jury that has been investigating the leak of a CIA agent's identity expires at the end of October. Robert Luskin, Rove's lawyer, tells NEWSWEEK that, in his last conversations with Fitzgerald, the prosecutor assured Luskin "he has not made any decisions."

But lawyers close to the case, who asked not to be identified because it's ongoing, say Fitzgerald appears to be focusing in part on discrepancies in testimony between Rove and Time reporter Matt Cooper about their conversation of July 11, 2003. In Cooper's account, Rove told him the wife of White House critic Joseph Wilson worked at the "agency" on WMD issues and was responsible for sending Wilson on a trip to Niger to check out claims that Iraq was trying to buy uranium. But Rove did not disclose this conversation to the FBI when he was first interviewed by agents in the fall of 2003—nor did he mention it during his first grand jury appearance, says one of the lawyers familiar with Rove's account. (He did not tell President George W. Bush about it either, assuring him that fall only that he was not part of any "scheme" to discredit Wilson by outing his wife, the lawyer says.) But after he testified, Luskin discovered an e-mail Rove had sent that same day—July 11—alerting deputy national-security adviser Stephen Hadley that he had just talked to Cooper, the lawyer says. In the e-mail, Rove said Cooper pushed him on whether the president was being hurt by the Niger controversy. "I didn't take the bait," Rove wrote Hadley, adding that he warned Cooper not to get "far out in front on this." After reviewing the e-mail, Rove then returned to the grand jury last year and reported the Cooper conversation. He testified that the talk was initially about "welfare reform"—a topic mentioned in the e-mail—and that Cooper then changed the subject. Cooper has written that he doesn't recall a discussion of welfare reform.

Why didn't the Rove e-mail surface earlier? The lawyer says it's because an electronic search conducted by the White House missed it because the right "search words" weren't used. (The White House and Fitzgerald both declined to comment.) But the e-mail isn't the only belatedly discovered document in the case. Fitzgerald has also summoned New York Times reporter Judith Miller back for questioning this week: a notebook was discovered in the paper's Washington bureau, reflecting a late June 2003 conversation with Vice President Dick Cheney's chief of staff, Lewis (Scooter) Libby, about Wilson and his trip to Africa, says one of the lawyers. The notebook may also be significant because Wilson's identity was not yet public. A lawyer for the Times declined to comment.

—Michael Isikoff

web page (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9630676/site/newsweek/)

Gayle in MD
10-14-2005, 04:06 AM
Thanks for the post. The list of people in government, (memos), journalists, etc., documenting the underhanded way which this administration handles those who discounted the lies engineered by them in order to launch this Illegitimate pre-emptive attack on Iraq just keeps growing, along with the failures....this last dirty trick revelation, launched by Bush and Cheney to discredit Joe Wilson is just one in a long list of such practices. It's a no brainer, they obviously were out to get him for shining the light of truth on their lies, which were told in the house, the senate, and at the U.N., about the non existent threat of Iraq.... And the beat goes on....

Only one independent batallion of Iraqi soldiers after over two years.
War profiteering by Halliburton in the billions
No weapons of mass destruction
Failure to secure Bagdad after the invasion
soaring energy costs
Growing deficit to unprecedented amounts
Growing trade deficit to unprecedented amounts
Dangerously open borders
Growing number of illegal ailians
Debt to China approaching one trillion dollars
No capture of bin Ladden
Failed Social Security plan
Incompetent people appointed to critical posts in FEMA and Homeland Security
Late and ill planned Federal response to a national disaster (Katrina)
Unacceptable Supreme Court appointee, even by the resmuglicans
House and Senate resmuglican majority leaders under Investigation for felonies
Top White House aides under federal investigation
Karl Rove and Scooter Libby
David Safavian, top W.H. Procurement Official arrested on charges of lying and impeding Abramoff investigation,...
Timothy Flannigan, Bush nominee for deputy attorney general, number 2 job at Justice, withdraws after ties to Abramoff Investigation,....
House Administration Commitee Chairman Robert Ney (R. Ohio) and Ralph Reed, the Christian Coalition leader, tied to the Abramoff investigation....
Treasonist outing of C.I.A. undercover agent to discredit Joe Wilsons trip to Niger, and his stand against W.H. lies...
Cronyism to the extreme top levels of Government, including the Supreme Court...
Loss of respect around the world
Prison scandels and torture of prisoners
No successful health plan
No responsible energy plan
No sight of leaving Iraq
Unprecidented spending
Corporate fascists economics
Huge out-sourcing of American jobs
Middle class struggling to get by as the rich get richer
Growing poverty levels
Failed educational system
Approval ratings at an all time low...finally
Illegal tampering with elections, in two elections.....
and a president who can't put two correct sentences together, whose mother is a racist.

It's all Clinton's fault...LMAO

Gayle in Md.....

Sid_Vicious
10-14-2005, 06:59 AM
Gayle,,,Impeachment has never been more in order. Problem is we'd need to figure out what to do with Cheney unless we can have a duel impeachment and I don't know if that is possible. Right now today, we just need to get that joke of a leader out of the oval office. Bush, as you outlined it, has a report card of nothing but "F" marks all the way down the list. His ineptness and obvious deception(lies) is atrocious. Why this country's citizens hasn't already demanded a house cleaning beginning with Bush is beyond me. He and his bunch are far more dangerous than any enemy we have today. He is killing us from the inside, because he has no check valves. The people of this country have to force that to happen, and yet it appears that we have collectively become zombies over this immediate mess we are all in today.

You put together a very concise report card on Bush Gayle. He is a big failure and simply put, a CROOK beyond imagination. His being where he is today has, and continues to, KILL people. Impeach the joker NOW!

Bush is absolutely the WORST president America has ever had!

sid

Qtec
10-14-2005, 07:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Gayle,,,Impeachment has never been more in order. Problem is we'd need to figure out what to do with Cheney unless we can have a duel impeachment and I don't know is that is possible. <hr /></blockquote>

They should be sent off to boot camp and then shipped to Baghdad! Its easy being 'tough on terror'when you are 8,000 miles behind the front line!

Q

pooltchr
10-14-2005, 06:37 PM
Gayle,
I'm too tired to even attempt to respond to each item on your list, not to mention that you have made so many of these accusations in the past, and ignored everyone who tried to point out the falacy in them, so let's just take a close look at a couple of them.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> =
No weapons of mass destruction

<font color="red"> We know for a fact that he did have them. He used them on his own people. No, we haven't found them, they may be hidden, used up or destroyed. The point is, Sadam had them and wanted us to think he had them, and GW called his bluff, if that's what it was. We do know for a fact that he doesn't have any now!!!!</font color>

soaring energy costs
<font color="red"> I don't suppose two major hurricanes that ripped apart so many oil wells and refineries in the gulf had anything to do with that. It must be white house policy. </font color>

Growing trade deficit to unprecedented amounts
<font color="red"> And every one of us who shops at Wal-Mart contrubutes to it. </font color>
Dangerously open borders
<font color="red"> No arguement from me at all on this point </font color>
Growing number of illegal ailians
<font color="red"> I think that falls into the same catagory as your last point. One is the cause, the other the effect. </font color>

No capture of bin Ladden
<font color="red"> NOt captured, but it sure appears he has been out of business since GW put out the "Wanted" poster </font color>
Failed Social Security plan
<font color="red"> WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO now. Social Security is the baby of the democrats. Remember FDR? But every time someone wants to try to fix it, the dems use it to scare the old folks. Social Security was doomed from the beginning, but no one bothered to look that far ahead. Poor Planning, yes, but on whose part??????????? </font color>

Incompetent people appointed to critical posts in FEMA and Homeland Security
Late and ill planned Federal response to a national disaster (Katrina)
<font color="red"> discussed at length on another thread. The real incompetents were some elected officials in the area who didn't have a clue what to do to prepare. Then didn't let the White House step in to take action before hand. </font color>
Unacceptable Supreme Court appointee, even by the resmuglicans
<font color="red"> Unacceptable??? Do you even know anything about her??? Why don't you withold judgement until the confirmation hearings at least get started? Or do you prefer just riding the liberal bandwagon on this one. Remember what was said last time? The plan was to confirm the first one without a fight so they could attack the second one. </font color>
House and Senate resmuglican majority leaders under Investigation for felonies
<font color="red"> Indicted by a guy who has made many similar charges that never turned out to be true </font color>
Cronyism to the extreme top levels of Government,
<font color="red"> When the southern conservatives do it, it's called cronyism....when the Massachusetts democrats to it, it's called a "political Dynasty". </font color> including the Supreme Court...

Loss of respect around the world
<font color="red"> Yep...the whole world loved us until we elected GW </font color>
Prison scandels and torture of prisoners
<font color="red"> Prison scandels???? How is this GW's fault??? (I can't wait to hear this answer!) </font color>
No successful health plan
<font color="red"> And Ms Clinton's would have been good???????? </font color>
No responsible energy plan
<font color="red"> You wouldn't like it, even if it was out there. </font color>

Unprecidented spending
<font color="red"> I can't argue with that. I totally agree! So let's cut some of the ridiculous social programs, stop taking the tax money that the government collects from the big bad rich people who happen to be the ones who actually pay most of the taxes so we can support uneducated, lazy, people who don't want to work, or illegals who shouldn't be here in the first place </font color>
Corporate fascists economics
<font color="red"> That's some pretty strong name calling </font color>
Huge out-sourcing of American jobs
<font color="red"> And this has only been going on for the past 5 years????????????????? </font color>
Middle class struggling to get by as the rich get richer
<font color="red"> I agree. Let's get both sides to admit that the fair tax plan in Boortz's new book actually makes some sense!!! </font color>
Growing poverty levels
<font color="red">see my politically incorrect comments about uneducated lazy, etc. </font color>
Failed educational system
<font color="red"> Get it out of the hands of the federal government who have no business there anyway, and back in the local governments and you will see great improvement. Better yet, privatize education and save all those wasted tax dollars. Let me keep that money, and I will send my kids to private school. </font color>
whose mother is a racist.
<font color="red"> again with the name calling </font color>

It's all Clinton's fault...LMAO
<font color="red"> Once again, I have to tatally agree! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gayle in Md.....

<hr /></blockquote>

Gayle in MD
10-14-2005, 11:12 PM
If you think that George Bush didn't use 9/11 to instill fear in Americans with lies and exaggerations in order to suit his pre White House agenda where have you been? I suppose you never heard what Colin Powell himself said about his own address to the UN. Apparently, you also have never done any reading about how Cheney and Wolfowitz laid out the plan to invade Iraq way the hell back in 1992. Typical right wing, ill informed, religious pie in the sky, Bush supporter.

THERE WERE NO WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION, Do you ever read anything? As far as anything resembling the little vile held up by Powell at the U. N., the shelf life on those substances is three months. There was none of that in Iraq when we invaded either. Just ask Joe Wilson, who war right, BTW. You were totally duped.

On the trade deficit, again, typical ill informed resmuglican. You're going to blame our massive trade deficit on Wel-Mart, AH HA HA HA HA, Pahleze, you're making my sides split. Just how did you arrive at that conclusion, no, don't tell me, you're pastor told you, I know, just after the story about the man living in the whale.

If you are naive enough to think that we have put bin Ladden out of business, you have a rude awakening in store for yourself. Better check out Wal-Mart for a good price on a Hazmet suit.

The Social Security Plan I referred to was the plan which George Bush FAILED to put over on the American people, not the one from Roosevelt, which has served this country for generations. It is a good plan, and will continue to be the major plan in the future. There are a number of ways with sensible adjustments implemented which will make our present SS plan effective, and insure the old and infirmed that they will not have to live on the streets, unlike the economic policies of the administration, which is growing poverty levels. Of course we're going to have to make a clean sweep of all the golf course crooks in the GOP before we can fix it in a way which won't be designed to starve the poor and line the pockets of the rich.

You want to blame the local politicians after watching people beg for food and water for five days? Did anyone ever tell you what FEMA stands for? Federal Emergency Management Agency. Was the hurricaine a NATIONAL emergency? Did your very own Little Bushy stand with his own Crony, (Brown) appointee, patting his shoulder, and telling the rest of the world that he was doing a fine job? Oh, forgot to whom I write, you probably agree the the Horse Judge did a fine job yourself....ans was highly qualified for the job, tha's why he didn't know for three days that people were stranded without food and water, which is the responsibility of FEMS in the first place....typical resmuglican.

As for the Supreme Court Nominee, what do you know about her? I would venture to say, not nearly as much as I know. I know several things which make her quite unacceptable to me. First of all, she's tight with George Bush. Second, she comes from Texas, where the only thing stinkier than cow and horse pones is the politicians. Third, she is anti Choice. Fourth, she is "Born Again" a term used by many people who find it necessary to invent a new facade in order to continue to BS everybody who already is onto their BS into giving them another shot at BSing them some more. I'm sixty years old, and I have yet to see anyone get themselved born twice. Also, No husband, no kids, sixty years old, you better check her out, she just might be gay, which ofcourse would cause your kind endless sleepless nights.

Dynasty? You want to talk Dynasty? I guess you are referring to the Kennedy's, that's pretty funny. There was only one Kennedy in the White House the last time I checked. How hard is it for you to count to two? Bush Jr, that's one, Bush Sr, thats two, now see how nice I was to help you out....and BTW, all the Kennedy's fought in the wars, and two of them died during the war, and two others were assasinated, risks and sacrifices we'll never have to worry about our present president taking. He's too busy dressing up in his costumes, bike boy, fighter pilot, cowboy, construction bubba, Bill Maher hit it right on the nose!

It is really interesting how you religious people have no compassion for those who don't have the same opportunities as you have had. Were you born into poverty? Interesting how your types are the least likely to give a dman about people who don't even have a car in order to get out of the way of a hurricaine. How you are against abortion, yet you don't want money to go to Welfare for poor children, or to those who are hungry right here in our country, welfare babies, and the poverty strickened which you call lazy, yet you are more than willing to spend billions on blowing people up on the other side of the world, and having rich people get hundreds of thousands of dollars in tax relief, but God forbid any of our tax dollars might to go the poor and hungry. That's real Christian of ya!

STRONG WORDS ???
That's right, we need more strong words to correctly describe how George Bush has sold us out, and FYI, outsourcing could have been curbed a great deal without Bush in office. Bush has outsourced America steadily, through his tax policies, or do you read anything about that? He's a crook, or didn't you know? Like, for example, how his cornies in the Commerce Department held back the report until after he was elected, and never used the correct numbers when they finally did publish the report, another scandel which you haven't yet heard about apparently, but don't worry, Q and Dick and I will see that you get the info, eventho you will deny the validity of that, too, just like you deny that there were no weapons of mass destruction, something that has been proven, written about, and apologized for, even by Little Bushy.

FYI, I sent my daughter to private school all the way through. Our Educational system is a disgrace, and has been a disgrace for over forty years, or didn't you notice, and BTW, whom do you think federalized the educational system more than any other president?

Fascism\ A political philosophy, movement or regime that exaults nation and race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition

2 : A tendency toward or actual exercise of strong autocratic or dictatorial control &lt;early instances of army ~ and brutality - J. W. Aldridge

Sure sounds like the Bush Administration to me. If you can't see where all this is leading, you must have blinders on. Everything he does, brings this country down another notch. But what would you care about the future of your children and grandchildren being mortgaged by your beloved Bushy as long as gays can't marry and welfare mothers can't abort babies they can't feed, you republican evangelists aren't going to feed them, that's for sure, they're just uneducated lazy good for nothings as far as you're concerned, right?

Oh for the pure and lofty aroma of a good ol' Clinton cigar, compared to this anti-christ we have now, it would be SOOOOOOOO refreshing compared to another Vietnam in the Middle East, but when Clinton bombed after bin Ladden, you resmuglicans said he was wagging the dog. I never heard of Clinton holding a dress rehersal with his soldiers and putting on a virtual Playhouse 90 BS televised talkshow with his soldiers like Bush did on Firday. A "close look" is something you obviously have never experienced.

Gayle in Md.

Gayle in MD
10-14-2005, 11:22 PM
Patience my friend, Next week will be big. He's already under forty percent approval now. Fitzgerald is thought of as an Elliot Ness. The right can't call this partisan, because Fitzgerald was out of this administration. Amramoff's investigation will be even more incriminating. That's why republicans are beginning to back down from running in the next election. They're all going down, trust me, I don't watch FOX !

Gayle in Md.