PDA

View Full Version : Pool Cues $75-$150

gators52
10-09-2005, 01:10 PM
I'm an intermediate player, looking for a new stick. I currently have a graphite excaliber. I really dislike the graphite, it feels weird when trying to do english for somereason, like the stick almost bends a bit. What are some good companies that sell cues in the $75-$150 range give or take a few bucks. I know its not the name of the company that matters, just looking for some companies to start looking up that would fit my price range. Thanks

pooltchr
10-09-2005, 04:56 PM
Fury DL series

dg-in-centralpa
10-09-2005, 05:14 PM
Check with a used cue dealer, sometimes they will have some at this price orjust want to get rid of inventory.
DG

Leviathan
10-09-2005, 05:36 PM
I'd look at the Schmelke sneaky petes at Billiard Warehouse:

http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/schmelke/schmelke_pool_cues_pg3.htm

Excellent cues and well within your price range.

AS

MacGyver
10-09-2005, 06:35 PM
I just bought a cue for around this price(after also having a cheapy graphite) and I have 2 bits of advise to you:

1. Go to a billiard store that has a wide selection of cues, new and used and hit around with a couple to find out what you want.(wood vs steel, small tip, soft/hard, type of wrap,ect)

I hadn't really had a cue before and after 6-7 cues I had a good idea of what I liked, and I couldnt have gotten that without playing around with them....

2. Don't discount used cues, again after looking through like 9 cues I finally found a used Joss that plays GREAT and was within my price range due to dented butt and its being used... but after hitting with it vs. many of the others I knew that it was the best I could afford.

hondo
10-10-2005, 06:06 AM
Deangelo, Action, Quest if you put a different tip
on it, Cuetec, maybe find a Lucasi. My Lucasi is
very good. I paid around $220 but I got one of their
best. I paid $60 including S & H for a Deangelo
and it is very good also.

rackem
10-10-2005, 05:02 PM
DID YOUR DEANGELO CUE ACTUALLY HAVE AN 11 LAYERED TIP AND A PRO TAPER. WHAT IS AVD TECHNOLOGY. DO YOU REALLY THINK IT RETAILS FOR $390.

LC3
10-11-2005, 04:47 AM
In this price range, Viking is hard to beat. They have several models that sell online for under $150. They've been made in the US (if that's important to you) for the past thirty years and are known for being good cues. Viking allows you to customize your cue by choosing the joint style, wrap color, stain, etc.

hondo
10-11-2005, 05:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackem:</font><hr> DID YOUR DEANGELO CUE ACTUALLY HAVE AN 11 LAYERED TIP AND A PRO TAPER. WHAT IS AVD TECHNOLOGY. DO YOU REALLY THINK IT RETAILS FOR $390. <hr /></blockquote>

Tip &amp; taper- yes
AVD- ??????
If it holds up I would have been happy paying $200.
Looks nice, doesn't miscue like Quests, very solid hit.

gators52
10-11-2005, 11:51 AM
I'm really suprised no one has recommend viking except for you, I'll definatly check them out as well. viking and fury look like the top two that I will have to try out.

Sid_Vicious
10-11-2005, 12:32 PM
Back when this board was busier, Viking would have been mentioned more. I know nothing about Furys. For the money, I don't think you can beat the Lucasi line, they play great. An online billiard store used to get 120-130 for a very nice cue in that line...sid

Pooldork
10-11-2005, 08:34 PM
Check out cheapcues.com They have a plain jane Joss at $149 shipped! Heckuva lotta cue for the money.

hondo
10-12-2005, 08:49 AM
Tap!Tap!Tap!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Back when this board was busier, Viking would have been mentioned more. I know nothing about Furys. For the money, I don't think you can beat the Lucasi line, they play great. An online billiard store used to get 120-130 for a very nice cue in that line...sid <hr /></blockquote>

BigRigTom
10-12-2005, 09:24 AM
I have never played with the Fury either but have heard good things about them...all second hand knowledge though.
I play with a Viking VX10...not the most expensive but it is a bit more than the $150 you mentioned.
I swear by the Viking though and they have a GREAT REPUTATION, I also like the McDermotts the feel is very similar to the Vikings.
If you have to stay under $150 you may want to look at the Scorpion Line. Several members of my APA team play with Scorpions and they like them a lot...especially for the price.
I have hear really good things about Lucasi also but have never played with one.
You'll have to find the one brand that feels right to you....your preference will be different than just about anyone else.