PDA

View Full Version : Time to upgrade my cue

dareads
10-09-2005, 07:28 PM
I have been out of the competitive pool world for some time now and am just starting to compete again. I have a stick that I have had for 15 years and it is time to upgrade. I was looking to spend $300-$400. I know there are a lot of cues that fall into that price range, I was just wondering if there are any that stand out in that group. I am trying to find a local store that I can go and try out different tip sizes, hardnesses, etc so I will have some idea what I like.

On a side note, if there is anyone out there that is good at identifying 15 year old cues with no markings at all, I could send you or post some pictures of what I have. I saw it in the catalog back when I won it and it was listed at $365. Please let me know if you have an eye for cues.

hondo
10-10-2005, 06:18 AM
I got a new McDermott Sierra that lists for $935
for $300 on EBAY that plays as well as any custom
cue I have. Also, J. Pechauer makes a nice cue in
that range. In customs I have fond Jackson, Coker,
Russ Espiritu ,Jeff Olney, Dominiak, Clint Putnam,
and Jerry Rauenzahn's all in that price range. I
especially like Olney, Rauenzahn, & Jacksons.

BLACKHEART
10-10-2005, 07:05 AM
I have catalogs, going back to the 80's. Send me some pics, through my web site & maybe I can help ID your old Q...JER

billyjungle
10-10-2005, 09:03 AM
I would take a look at a Dzuricky in my search.I feel they are the best of any for the money you can spend.

sincerely,
Billy Jungle

dareads
10-10-2005, 10:31 AM
Thanks so much for the advice. Would it be safe to say that most people prefer custom cues over production ones? I honestly hadn't considered a custom due to my limited budget.

pooltchr
10-10-2005, 05:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dareads:</font><hr> Thanks so much for the advice. Would it be safe to say that most people prefer custom cues over production ones? I honestly hadn't considered a custom due to my limited budget. <hr /></blockquote>

Most people would prefer a Jaguar, but drive a Chevy. I think most players have production cues, unless they are truely devoted to the game, and have the money to spend on one. Personally, I fall into one of those catagories, but not the other, so I play with a production cue. "It" shoots just fine, as long as I have control of it. It can't do anything unless I make it move.
Steve

HALHOULE
10-10-2005, 05:12 PM
UP GRADE YOU, NOT THE STICK. STICKS DO NOT AIM AT ANYTHING.

LC3
10-11-2005, 05:01 AM
What is it about your old cue that makes you want to upgrade? What improvements do you want the new cue to have?

hondo
10-11-2005, 05:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dareads:</font><hr> Thanks so much for the advice. Would it be safe to say that most people prefer custom cues over production ones? I honestly hadn't considered a custom due to my limited budget. <hr /></blockquote>

Most of the customs I mentioned with the exception
of Putnam were used cues. Also, check out Jacoby.
Great hitting cues in my opinion.

Voodoo Daddy
10-11-2005, 06:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HALHOULE:</font><hr> UP GRADE YOU, NOT THE STICK. STICKS DO NOT AIM AT ANYTHING. <hr /></blockquote>

Shaking head wondering when the lunacy will stop....

SPetty
10-11-2005, 09:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LC3:</font><hr> What is it about your old cue that makes you want to upgrade? <hr /></blockquote>That was my thought when I saw this - just because a cue is old doesn't mean it is no longer good. Maybe after 15 years it's time for a new tip, but is there a problem with the cue?

Scott Lee
10-11-2005, 10:56 AM
tap, tap, tap! My sentiments exactly, Hal! Why do you need to "upgrade" your cue?...unless you want something fancier, or it is actually broken!

Scott Lee

dareads
10-11-2005, 12:27 PM
The shaft of my cue is quite warped. I talked to the nearest repair guy and he did not know what type my cue was so he said it would probably need a custom shaft which could run from $150-200. I figure if I am going to spend that much on just a new shaft, I would rather spend a little more and get a new cue instead. I want to keep my cue as it is since it was something that I won and therefore has a bit of sentimental value to me.
I do understand the comment about upgrading my shooting and not my stick. I hadn't thought about lessons to be honest. I live in Sacramento. I know that there is a place in SF, but does anyone know of a person in Sac that gives lessons?

Scott Lee
10-11-2005, 12:46 PM
Anyone who wants you to pay $150-$200 for a new shaft is trying to rob you. Blackheart (who posts here) will make you a shaft for far less, and it will work perfectly with your butt. See Bart Mahoney, or Tom Suarez, at Hard Times in Sacremento, for lessons.

Scott Lee

dareads
10-11-2005, 06:37 PM
Thanks for pointing me in the direction of Hard Times. I'll have to talk to Blackheart about a new shaft.

LC3
10-11-2005, 09:30 PM
My point wasn't that you necessarily should keep your old cue, but I just wanted to know what you wanted to accomplish. Getting a new shaft for your old cue is a good way to go, but getting a new cue wouldn't be unwarranted. In your price range, check out Schuler, Pechauer, and Viking. If you like your old cue, I'd say to just go for a new shaft. Either way.

dareads
10-11-2005, 09:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LC3:</font><hr> My point wasn't that you necessarily should keep your old cue, but I just wanted to know what you wanted to accomplish. Getting a new shaft for your old cue is a good way to go, but getting a new cue wouldn't be unwarranted. In your price range, check out Schuler, Pechauer, and Viking. If you like your old cue, I'd say to just go for a new shaft. Either way. <hr /></blockquote>

I guess at first I just liked the idea of having a new cue. As I got to talking to my wife about it and actually thinking more about it I realized that I don't really know if my cue is right for me. It is the only one I have used for the last 16 years. I guess I am wondering that if a lighter/heavier, firmer/softer cue would be a better fit for me. I like the way my cue feels when I use it, but again, it is all I know. It could be totally wrong for me and I wouldn't even know it.

LC3
10-11-2005, 10:52 PM
Then it would be worth your time to stop by a well equipped pro shop and hit some balls with a few different configurations (weight, joint, etc). A good pro shop worker should be able to help you find what you like.