PDA

View Full Version : dealing with sandbagging accusations

sack316
10-10-2005, 04:21 PM
hey all, hope everyone is doing well. I just celebrated my 26th bday this weekend, and of course my girlfriend found a few grey hairs, but it'll be alright (she gave them to me anyway!)
On to the post though, as you may recall I was off my game for a bit there. Consequently I sucked in league and rather than moving up a rank as we were all sure I was about to, I actually moved down to a 5! Happiness for me and my teams!
But of course this brought forth groans from people that do know me and have shot with me these past few years. Now I have gotten my stroke back and have shot extremely well (to a point that I'd actually feel comfortable right now if I were a 7 or an 8). My closest match in a month has been a 15-5 win, and obviously people have been questioning me.
All I do is explain to them that I shot really bad for about 2 months then went down, and finally got my stroke and control back and now shoot like I am capable of. The ones who know me realize that it's just how the system works, but some people just won't be satisfied. I really don't want someone to think I am sandbagging, just the thought of it ruins fun for everyone. Is there anything I can say or do to nip those things in the bud? Or is all I can do is just keep shooting and wait for the system to balance it all out?
Sack

Bob_Jewett
10-10-2005, 04:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sack316:</font><hr> ... I really don't want someone to think I am sandbagging, just the thought of it ruins fun for everyone. Is there anything I can say or do to nip those things in the bud? ... <hr /></blockquote>
If being underrated bothers you, demand that your LO raise you to a 7. They usually have that power. Beyond that, you should recommend to whoever developed that handicapping system that they fix the adjustment delay or method. It's wrong for people to blame you for faults in the system.

sack316
10-10-2005, 04:59 PM
well, I don't dislike being underrated, it's nice to be off a little and still know I can win /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif but I also know it's not really fair either. Right now I get to have the compliment of people putting up who they think can "lose best" against me, which is good for the ol' ego!
But maybe I'll take you up on your advice and check with the LO and see what they can do. Thanks for your reply

Chopstick
10-11-2005, 05:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sack316:</font><hr> hey all, hope everyone is doing well. I just celebrated my 26th bday this weekend, and of course my girlfriend found a few grey hairs, but it'll be alright (she gave them to me anyway!)
<hr /></blockquote>

Don't be concerned about whether they are grey or not. Just be happy they are still there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The APA handicap system is based on innings per game. There are holes in that approach. A lot of team captains don't record innings accurately to hold your ratings down. I wouldn't worry about it. Just destroy all your opponents, drink all the liquor, kiss all the girls, and go home. That's what I do. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rangercap
10-11-2005, 06:41 AM
This is my third year in the local VNEA league, and every year, it is the same few people who sandbag at the end of the season in order to make the State Competition at a lower average. I have witnessed a strong team destroy another weaker team, and then the last few games, a certain player will just knock in the 8 for a loss, rather than win, and therefore get a lower average. Then, in future games, this will allow this person to match others with an equivalent average (We play that you need to match averages as closely as possible, but when the averages are different, say a 7 plays an 8, the 8 player much 'give up' 1 point per round (3 rounds total) and max handicap points are 10 pts PER ROUND, 2 pts per person per team, so with 3 rounds, you could be giving up 30 pts!)

This sandbagging is usually done in the case the points are so far apart, that even with a loss, the stronger team wins. Averages in the VNEA league are calculated based on total points divided by games played. Soo... if you are 3-0, then 30 pts / 3 games makes you a 10 average.

I have been personally accused of sandbagging, since I was playing rough in the beginning of the season, but playing much better later on. I have really tried to ignore it, but the final relief came when my teammate said to the accuser "I would rather be a sandbagger, than a teabagger." Needless to say, I have not been bothered by allegations since!

bb

SPetty
10-11-2005, 09:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> Just destroy all your opponents, drink all the liquor, kiss all the girls, and go home. That's what I do. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I can vouch for that! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pigbrain
10-12-2005, 09:41 PM
i feel so bad that i cant understand what is sandbagging.

catscradle
10-13-2005, 04:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pigbrain:</font><hr> i feel so bad that i cant understand what is sandbagging. <hr /></blockquote>

The expression "sandbagging" comes from horse racing. People would hide weights (such as sandbags) on their horse to slow them down when running against lesser quality horses so others wouldn't realize how fast it really was. Then when running in an important race against one or more better horses they'd be able to get lots of betting action and they would not put the extra weight on their horse.
Generically the term has come to mean playing under your real speed (in pool for instance) so that you either can get more action in a gambling situation or to keep your handicap down in league situations.

catscradle
10-13-2005, 04:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sack316:</font><hr> hey all, hope everyone is doing well. I just celebrated my 26th bday this weekend, and of course my girlfriend found a few grey hairs, but it'll be alright (she gave them to me anyway!)
On to the post though, as you may recall I was off my game for a bit there. Consequently I sucked in league and rather than moving up a rank as we were all sure I was about to, I actually moved down to a 5! Happiness for me and my teams!
But of course this brought forth groans from people that do know me and have shot with me these past few years. Now I have gotten my stroke back and have shot extremely well (to a point that I'd actually feel comfortable right now if I were a 7 or an 8). My closest match in a month has been a 15-5 win, and obviously people have been questioning me.
All I do is explain to them that I shot really bad for about 2 months then went down, and finally got my stroke and control back and now shoot like I am capable of. The ones who know me realize that it's just how the system works, but some people just won't be satisfied. I really don't want someone to think I am sandbagging, just the thought of it ruins fun for everyone. Is there anything I can say or do to nip those things in the bud? Or is all I can do is just keep shooting and wait for the system to balance it all out?
Sack <hr /></blockquote>
I was 26 once in another century, now my oldest kids are 26, egad. I've plenty of gray hair to share with you if one isn't enough. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif
... but to the point. Just play your game and if some people think you're sandbagging tough nuts to them. As long as the people you really know and respect understand the truth, what else is important.

veager
10-13-2005, 05:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rangercap:</font><hr> This is my third year in the local VNEA league, and every year, it is the same few people who sandbag at the end of the season in order to make the State Competition at a lower average. [ QUOTE ]

At least Ohio does it right, they make everyone a 10 at the State Tourny, does you no good to sandbag during the session, except to win a spot there.

SteveFromNY
10-13-2005, 05:18 AM
cool, I actually thought it referred to the game of Spades, where players bagged the hands when they undercall to stick the other team.