PDA

View Full Version : Are You Conservative With Jumps?

Sid_Vicious
10-11-2005, 11:07 AM
I wondered if those jumping players on here go for the pocketing of the OB, and/or resultant shape afterwards, or if you simply gor for a safe hit and avoid the BIH foul? Obviously hangers seem obvious for making them, but what about something like 30 degree angled OBs sitting out half a diamond from a side pocket? How bold are you?

Sid

Cane
10-11-2005, 11:19 AM
Sid, If it's a shot that I could reasonably make if the blocker weren't there, by all means, I'd go to pocket the ball and play position and not just to make a safe hit. With a little practice, you can learn to jump and stop, draw, follow, masse, or whatever is needed.

Now, I'm going to sound contradictory, but I really feel that I'm conservative with jump shots. If I can kick at a ball easily, then I'll kick at it. The ONLY time I jump is when there is little choice, or when it's one of those shots that I feel has a VERY high percentage of making the ball and having reasonable cue ball control.

That being said, I do practice jump shots, but not often... usually only one day a week or so and usually for less than 15 minutes. I'll split it up between full cue jumps and jump cue jumps. Kick shots, I practice quite a bit more often.

Later,
Bob

Sid_Vicious
10-11-2005, 11:25 AM
Curious, why the long cue jump practice? It's fun to know it all, but isn't the official jump cue more of a guarantee in almost every situation you'll choose to jump? Is it because some venues don't allow jump cues as such?

BTW, I don't want this to steer into a "kick or jump" discussion folks. We've worn that battle thin in the past, so please assume you have decided to jump already...sid

Cane
10-11-2005, 11:49 AM
Sid, Well, I grew up without a jump cue, so jumping with a full cue is natural for me anyways. Besides, I find it easier and much more accurate on a long table shot where I have to clear half a ball or less. I can drill those shots with a full cue (not my jump break, but the one I play with) almost like I was just shooting a clear stop shot at them.

One question you asked was dead on. There are some tournaments that do not allow "jump" cues. Jumps must be made with full cues. I'm finding less and less of that, but still run onto it occasionally, esp at small tournaments. One "local" tournament outlawed jump cues AND break cues, because the TD thought he wasn't winning because he didn't have either. Come to find out, he wasn't winning because he can't play pool!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later,
Bob

Snapshot9
10-11-2005, 01:10 PM
I would say I am a little conservative normally. I play the
percentages. If I have a 70% chance of making the jump shot, I will take it, but if it is only a 20% chance as opposed to just hitting the ball and getting a leave is 50%, I will shoot for the leave. I also think along those lines on kicking vs.jumping. Why shoot a jump shot and make it if
you will not have a shot on the next ball - that is self defeating, IMO. I call shots that 'dead-end' your run 'no-future' shots, and I will miss a ball on purpose to play leave rather than shoot a no-future shot and have nothing afterwards because if you miss and play leave, then you have another chance, hopefully, that will be better than the original option.

Mrs_DG
10-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Wish I could jump...with or without a jump cue.

DG

Rod
10-11-2005, 03:08 PM
I'm very similar to Cane in most respects.(Thought I'd save some typing LOL) Same with a full cue, I'd rather use it opposed to a jump cue. Its much easier to make the ball say jumping 1/2 balls width, give or take a little. If the distance is great enough, I'll still use a full cue on some full ball jumps. Of course that also depends on the shot angle and table. The big bonus is you have the weight if you want to draw the c/b back. That's not likely with a light jump cue at a distance.

Rod

Cane
10-11-2005, 04:03 PM
Hey, Scott, Welcome to CCB!

For those of you that don't know him, Snapshot9 is a very knowledgable and proficient player from Kansas. He's played with and rubbed elbows with the best in the Midwest... and a real gentleman... MOST of the time! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later,
Bob

Snapshot9
10-12-2005, 04:26 AM
Bob, Hi, thanks for the welcome. Been a few dogfights over
at AZ lately, so I decided to expand my world a little.
Carolina trip sounds nice. You'll be right down in the
thick of it for Pool. Don't forget, Lana Embry Memorial
Tournament at Southrock here on Nov. 5-6th, 32 player,
calcutta, open and ladies, giving Shurtz cues away along
with 1st place money. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif