PDA

View Full Version : Question for instuctors here...

loyter
10-13-2005, 12:11 PM
In the thread below about teaching pool, I ruffled a few feathers by positing that teaching the basics is easy. Sorry to those of you who are more qualified to answer those questions than I.

I am a very solid A player, and I have been at it for 20 years. That said, I would like to take the next step and try to improve my own game. I don't know of anyone in this area (Utah) who is interested in and/or qualified to coach me. Most of the top local players I have talked to about improving my game tell me that I should practice, practice, practice. While I agree that perfect practice makes perfect, I am at a point where I think my practice routine could use some improvement. I have read countless books and I record TV tourneys to try to learn something from them.

So, now that that long story is over, the question is, are there any good instructors in this area (Utah)? And would it be worth my time to do some one-on-one sessions with one of them?

Bob_Jewett
10-13-2005, 12:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote loyter:</font><hr> ... I have read countless books and I record TV tourneys to try to learn something from them.

So, now that that long story is over, the question is, are there any good instructors in this area (Utah)? And would it be worth my time to do some one-on-one sessions with one of them? <hr /></blockquote>
If you've read countless books, then Babe Cranfield has already told you how to improve your game: work on your weaknesses. Any good instructor should be able to show you how to find your own weaknesses and develop your own plan for working on them.

loyter
10-13-2005, 12:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> If you've read countless books, then Babe Cranfield has already told you how to improve your game: work on your weaknesses. <hr /></blockquote>

The trouble is, Babe's book, even when propped up on the bar stool, can't watch my stroke and give me feedback about it. It has great content, but as far as analyzing my stroke, the book has fallen short. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Bassn7
10-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Mr. Jewett,
You've touched on one of the great pool secrets of the universe. Keeping a "pool diary" of losses and reasons for losses, guides the weakness list. Certain shots often bring out stroke error. Good post. People should listen.

Bob_Jewett
10-13-2005, 02:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote loyter:</font><hr> ... It has great content, but as far as analyzing my stroke, the book has fallen short. <hr /></blockquote>
Most instrutors provide video analysis. For BCA instructors, this is a required part of the training. If you have a video camera, look at your own stroke, to start with. Instructors who do video know better what to look for than you do, but I think that even autodiagnosis can help here.

pooltchr
10-13-2005, 03:18 PM
I'm sure Scott Lee will be passing through your part of the country in his travels. Contact him and set up some lessons. It will be well worth your while.
Steve