PDA

View Full Version : Feel of the Cue

GolfProTj
10-14-2005, 05:10 AM
I just bought a new Joss cue which it's my second one now, I did have a Mcdermott MG-02 which was stolen,I'm have'n second thoughts that I like the feel of the Mcdermott more, My other Mcdermott has a Uni-Loc or Quick Release in it,my mg-02 was a wood to wood joint, I think I'm going to sell my new Joss and get the Mcdermott Mg, Has you all ever bought a cue and had second thought's? Or should I take a Xanex,lol

Thanks,
tj

Snapshot9
10-14-2005, 06:37 AM
The feel to a cue, to me, is like how a certain woman
will feel to you. Every single time with a woman, the
first time I knew it was going to be a love thing, and
not just sex, others just don't feel the same. It is kind
of like that with cues, IMO. If you have one that just
feels so comfortable and right for you, then you should
work with it on your shooting (you can always change a tip
if it isn't right). If the balance and feel is just a
little off, you will notice it at times you don't want to,
like when you are shooting a long straight in with cue ball
on the rail. When I was young, I used to wear some jewelry,
but I began to notice it right before shooting in the warm
up strokes, so I gradually got rid of the watch, the ring,
etc. to where I did not have any distractions. If a cue just doesn't feel right, the part that isn't right will become a distraction for you sooner or later. That's the
main reason I bought my custom Shurtz cue, the balance and
feel, it just felt so good. I have stroked other cues,
like Schon, Sowest, and Jacoby, but their balance and feel
isn't as good to me, IMO. What if you had a new car that
was nice, but you didn't feel entirely comfortable in it,
like it didn't 'fit' you quite right? Would you keep it,
or go hunting for one that did 'feel' like you?

UWPoolGod
10-14-2005, 07:05 AM
Happens all the time, especially with custom cues. You make an order for a cue based on word of mouth and 3+ months later you get your cue and don't like the feel. Off to ebay it goes. Seems like I see alot of new Southwests on there like that...or maybe they want the cash now because they haven't played pool in 5 years and they ordered the cue 7 years ago.

Sid_Vicious
10-14-2005, 07:12 AM
As mentioned already, I'd mirror the tip on the Joss to what you had on the McDermott. Personally I would never go to an inferior cue such as the McDermott until I tried that tip change, maybe even a few tip changes. A cue's feel mostly resides in the first 3 tenths of an inch. If your stolen McDermott was still with the factory tip, put a LePro on the Joss and see what you feel..sid

Fran Crimi
10-14-2005, 08:41 AM
You like the feel of wood to wood better. Go with the wood to wood. There's no reason to try to force yourself to get used to something when you already know what you like.

Sorry, but I don't agree with Sid that you can duplicate the hit of your previous McDermott by changing the tip on the Joss. I'm familliar enough with both cues to where I think the feel you're looking for is coming from the joint.

Fran

hondo
10-14-2005, 08:46 AM
I have a Joss IN10. Retails for $620 & I got it for
$380. I also have a Mcdermott " Sierra". Supposedly
retails for $935. I got it for $340. No comparison.
The Mcdermott to me is a much better hitting stick.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GolfProTj:</font><hr> I just bought a new Joss cue which it's my second one now, I did have a Mcdermott MG-02 which was stolen,I'm have'n second thoughts that I like the feel of the Mcdermott more, My other Mcdermott has a Uni-Loc or Quick Release in it,my mg-02 was a wood to wood joint, I think I'm going to sell my new Joss and get the Mcdermott Mg, Has you all ever bought a cue and had second thought's? Or should I take a Xanex,lol

Thanks,
tj <hr /></blockquote>

Sid_Vicious
10-14-2005, 09:12 AM
"you can duplicate the hit of your previous McDermott by changing the tip on the Joss"

That was never my intention. All I was saying is that the hit when switching cues(or tip changes on a current cue, DUH) changes immensely with the tip. Before I would sideline a Joss cue, I'd duplicate the exact tip manufacturer's tip onto the Joss.

To tell a personal story, I shot with a McDermott for years when I took the game seriously, and loved the success. When the tip wore out I believed Triangles were the only way to go due to advice from others, so I went that way. Years pasesed, I bought another McDermott, fitted it with a Triangle, and THEN someone told me that the factory installs were in fact LaPro tips. The very next tip install I made was a Lapro and it was like daylight to darkness in difference.

Sorry if if stated my first post in such a way to infer exactness of hit was as easily made by a tip change. All-z I was saying is that the tip will greatly get you to the feel you might be used to from an existing cue you've played with for years. I love my wood to wood jointed cues and certainly agree that it's a big change to go to inserted(steel, etc.) shafts. I'd still have to try the LaPro changeout just for fun if nothing else...sid

Big_Jon
10-14-2005, 10:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> As mentioned already, I'd mirror the tip on the Joss to what you had on the McDermott. Personally I would never go to an inferior cue such as the McDermott until I tried that tip change, maybe even a few tip changes. A cue's feel mostly resides in the first 3 tenths of an inch. If your stolen McDermott was still with the factory tip, put a LePro on the Joss and see what you feel..sid <hr /></blockquote>
Sid, FYI,

McD's come with Triangle tips standard.

Jon

Sid_Vicious
10-14-2005, 10:21 AM
Did they in 1994? Thanks for the info Jon. I never like to be misleading,,,well, wrong. The LaPro change in my case sure seemed real and effective in getting my feel back on the McDermott back then. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif sid

tjlmbklr
10-14-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have stroked other cues,
like Schon, Sowest, and Jacoby, but their balance and feel
isn't as good to me, <hr /></blockquote>

OK here is a stupid question, when dealing with custom cues, how does one find the right balance and length for yourself. I am 6'0" with what I believe to be very long arms. When I stroke where it feels comfortable with the balance I have very little address, like 8 inches or so.