PDA

View Full Version : My deep fryer just exploded

Chopstick
10-14-2005, 06:18 AM
I was frying up a mess of taters just now. I went into the kitchen to check on them and when I got to the kitchen door the thing exploded. It blew the lid to the ceiling and blasted hot oil everywhere. If I had been 3 seconds sooner the thing would have gone off in my face and I would have been covered in scalding oil.

Anybody ever hear of such a thing?

Qtec
10-14-2005, 06:30 AM
When I was young, I was told never to put a lid on when you are frying. [ deep fat that is] You were lucky! That would have been major ouch!

Q........ /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif........what do I know....I,m sure I heard it ........

Sid_Vicious
10-14-2005, 07:46 AM
I've never heard of either, the explosion Chopstick had happen, or the lid supposed to be left off. Thanks for the heads up, even though I do very little deep frying...sid

Cueless Joey
10-14-2005, 07:58 AM
I had an egg explode inside the micro once.
It was nasty.
Don't boil eggs in the nuker.

Chopstick
10-14-2005, 09:33 AM
This is one of the better fryers. I have had several. The lids are made with integrated filters and are designed to be left on. I didn't see any kind of spark or flame. It appears to be some kind of pressure explosion. I was using peanut oil. It was a Euro-Pro model F1066. The lid just sits on top and is not locked down. I don't see any evidence of internal damage so far. Weird.

I sent the company an e-mail. It will be interesting to see what they have to say about it.

Candyman
10-14-2005, 09:48 AM
I would call the state attorney generals and report the event. What happened to you has already happened to someone else or soon will. The next person may not be so lucky. A recall may be in order. I would sent a copy of your complaint to the manufacturer.

Barbara
10-14-2005, 09:57 AM
Wow are you lucky!! And like Candyman said, report it to officials in your state and to the manufacturer.

Barbara

Sid_Vicious
10-14-2005, 10:03 AM
Good thing he doesn't cook close to his Diamond Pro! Can you imagine the mess a shower of peanut oil would make on Simonas 860!???sid

Chopstick
10-14-2005, 10:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Good thing he doesn't cook close to his Diamond Pro! Can you imagine the mess a shower of peanut oil would make on Simonas 860!???sid <hr /></blockquote>

Oh God, don't even go there. That would be war.

Candyman brings up a good point. I hadn't thought of that. I am trying to research how it could have happened. The only thing I can find is about propane turkey fryers.

Sid_Vicious
10-14-2005, 10:28 AM
Probably feel a little at the time like dropping a light fixture onto your play cue /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif sid

wolfdancer
10-14-2005, 10:28 AM
That is odd since peanut oil has a relatively high flash point
of 450f. The large(?) batch of 'taters may have generated a lot of steam, that might have caused the explosion....but the fryer vent should have prevented that?
Glad to hear though, you had that 3 second delay, just like on
the Howard Stern show.
Facial burns, eye injuries....don't even want to think about that.
Try shallow frying instead...a little mess, but no explosions

SPetty
10-14-2005, 11:02 AM
The way your luck is today, you should go out and buy a mess of lottery tickets! I'm so glad that you weren't standing right there when it happened!

What little research I pulled up is that the fryer unit got very poor marks from people who bought one, and the company sucks and doesn't respond to problems. Good luck getting an answer.

If you're reporting it, don't forget to report to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. I found one instance of an exploding pan that they had recalled (http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml03/03069.html), but it wasn't a frying machine like yours...

Congratulations for not being blindingly burned. Please share your lottery winnings with me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chopstick
10-14-2005, 11:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> That is odd since peanut oil has a relatively high flash point
of 450f. The large(?) batch of 'taters may have generated a lot of steam, that might have caused the explosion....but the fryer vent should have prevented that?
<hr /></blockquote>

Found it. The Fire Safety Journal reproduced this using peanut oil in the lab and wrote a paper on it. It was caused by the lid. Taters release a lot of steam in a deep fryer. Not all of the steam escapes through the filter. Water droplets collect on the underside of the lid, and drop back into the oil. I have seen this happen when I took the lid off before. What I did not know is that the droplets that hit the surface did not evaporate on contact. Under the right conditions they burst into micro-droplets which sink and collect in the bottom of the oil pool, where the heating element is, become super heated and explode.

One of the things hat contributed to this incident is the efficency of the unit itself. Other fryers I have owned take twenty minutes. This one will do it in four minutes.

There is a full report on the experiment including time lapse photography at this link.

Fire Saftey Journal on peanut oil water vapor explosions. (http://fire.nist.gov/bfrlpubs/fire03/PDF/f03012.pdf)

This is an excerpt from the lab report.

<font color="blue">The water droplet impacted and formed a hemispherical crater within the oil pool. Similar to other investigations of water droplet impingement on liquid surfaces, the crater ultimately reached a maximum depth and fluid began to flow radially inward to fill the crater. A jet was formed at the bottom of the crater and propelled towards the free surface. After the crater rose to the free surface, it was observed that the parent droplet had fragmented into many satellite water droplets. The water droplets ultimately sank and remained at the bottom of the oil pool. At 560 ms, vapor bubbles appeared within the liquid. Ultimately, at 1168 ms after droplet impact, a violent explosion resulted that displaced oil in all directions above the oil pool. </font color>

I can vouch for that! Looks like Q's right(Gawd, what am I saying?). Leave the lid off.

wolfdancer
10-14-2005, 11:41 AM
Q was right??????????
It's the end of the world....
I'm glad that you found that report, and figured out what happened; gladder still you weren't "there" when it blew.
"Thar she blows"
Since water boils at 212f, and the oil was probably 375f, and the water droplets were trapped, etc.....sounds like the manufacturer needs to redesign the fryer with a larger vent.
I'd guess that you aren't the only one this happened to...they should recall the product

Chopstick
10-14-2005, 12:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Q was right??????????
It's the end of the world....
<hr /></blockquote>

http://www.cybersalt.org/cl_images/cats/catsurprise2.jpg

wolfdancer
10-14-2005, 12:26 PM
LOL !!!!!

Barbara
10-14-2005, 04:51 PM
Hey Chop!!

I'm glad you found out and now we all know!!

Barbara

Fran Crimi
10-14-2005, 06:33 PM
I've stood up to three madmen with guns, but there are three things in life that will send me running --- pressure cookers, garbage disposals, and deep fryers.

Bake the damned tater tots. (It's better for you, anyway.)

Fran ~~~ Glad to hear you're okay.

Sid_Vicious
10-14-2005, 08:30 PM
And....refrigerators...sid

dbankjr
10-14-2005, 08:46 PM
Well I'd just follow the trend and say it was George's fault since he gets blamed for everything anymore..what the hell..honestly I'd say you had the temp up too high even though I've never had an explosion..may have hit a pocket of water and went nuts seeing as how taters hold a lot of it...go to a garage sale and buy an old iron skillet..they make yummier taters anyway..especially with onions and peppers!

Sid_Vicious
10-14-2005, 09:00 PM
Now we know! Saddam's weapon of mass destruction was in Florida all this time /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif sid

TomBrooklyn
10-14-2005, 10:10 PM
Wow,

I'm so glad you weren't close to it when that happened.

I looked up the Euro-Pro F1066 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000070IBV/ref=pd_bbs_null_2/103-9264712-6625443?v=glance&amp;s=books) on Amazon and this was in Sambo's Spotlight review.

...I don't want to sound like a "generic warning label" but I do think you should have some safety concerns. It relates more to the amount of oil. We are talking about a gallon of oil that is very hot and stays hot for a long time. ...accidents happen. I've worked in a burn center before and no matter what you can imagine, it IS worse. And to the patient, it is worse than what I can imagine looking and listening to them. The entire 'family' is changed forever.

That being said, I want to get a fryer now. I didn't know about residential ones like this. I'm wondering how long it takes for the oil to heat up and how often you have to change the oil if you use it only occassionally.

wolfdancer
10-14-2005, 10:45 PM
Tom, I had the food concession in a poolhall, and had a commercial fryer, so I have a little knowhow...very little.
Don't overheat the oil, and strain it good after use....AFTER it cools down sufficiently, and you should get a lot of use before you have to change it. With everyday use, for several hours a day, i changed mine twice a week....the Buffalo wings,fish and shrimp, all coated foods, took their toll.
I'd recommend Canola oil, for it's high flash point and low polyunsaturated fats.
And Googling Canola oil....I found it is made from
rape seeds....Rapeseed oil....hymm, maybe not a bad idea to rename it Canola.
I think your eyes, and your nose will tell you when it's time to change the oil....

Barbara
10-15-2005, 08:17 AM
I haven't used my T-Fal deep fryer in years, but I got a Turkey deep fryer last Christmas. It's great! We've used it twice without incident. The best advice I can give is to let whatever you're going to deep fry come up to room temperature and make sure it's dry before you lower it in the oil. That way, the oil doesn't dip down in temperature and there's no boil over because there's no moisture interacting with the oil.

Barbara

TomBrooklyn
10-15-2005, 02:28 PM
I recently saw a deep fry turkey fire video which was pretty impressive. I couldn't remember the link to it, but here is another one I found.... http://www.ul.com/turkeyfryers/

Chopstick
10-17-2005, 07:41 AM
Whoa. Those turkey fryers are dangerous. When I first started searching for fryer explosions it was all turkey fryers that were listed. Consumer Reports has a report on an electric one that's supposed to be safer.

I threw away the old fryer and bought a new one. A Waring Pro. This and the Delongi version have protection against condensation built into their design. It seems to work pretty good.

onepocketfanatic
10-18-2005, 08:46 PM
Where I work, we use oils that are heated in excess of 550 degrees F. Water entering oil at high temperatures, or oil with a high moisture content heated rapidly, can cause major explosions. That holds true for the household as well, so be careful when cooking with hot oils of any kind!