PDA

View Full Version : Gambling At 8-Ball?

Sid_Vicious
10-14-2005, 09:25 AM
If you are asked to switch from 9-ball(you're getting the wild 8) to single games of 8-ball(no game on wire spot options), what is the equivelent weight to ask for in an 8-ball game of wager? I understand there is one where you can remove balls from the table during the game but I am fuzzy over it's tactical feature. Educate me for single 8-ball money games concerning spots...sid

Candyman
10-14-2005, 09:40 AM
Removing balls can be good or bad. If your opponent gets to remove balls, it is usually after the break and this can be bad news. He will remove easy shots or tactical shots and not give you anything to shoot at. He will always look at the table to see what needs to be moved out of his way so he can make his run unimpeded and not leave you anything to shot at. If he is giving you balls always insist on taking them yourself. If I am gambling with a better player, which I enjoy, I prefer a race to 10 with me getting X number of games up front.

Bob_Jewett
10-14-2005, 10:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> If you are asked to switch from 9-ball(you're getting the wild 8) to single games of 8-ball(no game on wire spot options), what is the equivelent weight to ask for in an 8-ball game of wager? ... <hr /></blockquote>
I doubt that anyone really knows the answer to that question. Why don't you do the experiment and report your results? Ask to be able to remove one ball from the table at any time, not including the eight ball. That could be your ball or the opponent's ball. Settle for removing just your own.

Snapshot9
10-14-2005, 10:34 AM
Players usually want to switch to 8 ball for a couple of reasons, if they are not really a 9 ball player, or if they
think their mental game is better, or if you are starting to
get the best of them in 9 ball. IMO, games on the wire are
better than a ball. I would think of it this way, if you
get to remove 1 of your balls after the break, it will
create like 1/2 of a chance. Racing to 7, that means in
all the games, you have 3 1/2 chances created by removing a ball in each game. Now, with those 3 1/2 chances how many
games can you win where you would not have otherwise. If you answer 1, then that tells you that having 2 games on the
wire going to 7 is better than taking a ball off in every game. Remeber, every good hustler usually keeps 1 1/2 balls
for himself. That means if he spots you the 8 in 9 ball, he
still thinks he can beat you with the 7, but not with the 6.
The reason for the 1 1/2 ball difference. He is allowing 1
ball difference for the luck factor, if you have good luck, or he has bad luck or both, then he is still a 1/2 ball better than you. If it was a totally matched handicapped,
then it would be too much like gambling, and not knowing whether he would win or not. Knowledge is the better part
of gambling, as they say.

Sid_Vicious
10-14-2005, 10:57 AM
Great stuff! In my case in point, I'd have asked for a 2 ball removal to maintain a 1 ball spot. I am not a real hustler, but in this case I'd lost to this player several sessions in a row and decided I'd better get to barking like the real money players do, with big cash to wager. Hell it sounded like a mini-shark-fest over some cheap 9-ball, new for me. Felt kinda good to grow a little self awareness to tell the truth...sid

Bob_Jewett
10-14-2005, 11:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snapshot9:</font><hr> ... I would think of it this way, if you
get to remove 1 of your balls after the break, it will
create like 1/2 of a chance. ... <hr /></blockquote>
I think that removing one of your balls after the break is no spot at all or even a negative spot. The removal must be delayed until it is useful.

Sid_Vicious
10-14-2005, 11:52 AM
Now that you bring that up I remembered seeing the removal of the ball(s) used during the middle of the game. Good knowledge, thanks Bob.

Do 1-P players ever give their opponents the option of spotting out-of-turn balls any time? I've seen them hold one during one money game over the years, and then spot it later in the game and wondered if that was a sneaky move or allowed...sid

Deeman3
10-14-2005, 12:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Now that you bring that up I remembered seeing the removal of the ball(s) used during the middle of the game. Good knowledge, thanks Bob.

Do 1-P players ever give their opponents the option of spotting out-of-turn balls any time? I've seen them hold one during one money game over the years, and then spot it later in the game and wondered if that was a sneaky move or allowed...sid <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Sid, my liberal friend! What you probably obesrved was a penalty ball being spotted after a shooter's turn (inning). That may have confused you as you don't spot penalty balls until a player is through shooting and, when one is owed but a player has none, the ball will be soptted after a player makes one and his inning is completed.

Most spots in 1 pocket are given in differential balls like playing someone 9 to 5 means you have to make 9 before the tuna makes 5 of them.

Deeman </font color>

Sid_Vicious
10-14-2005, 12:41 PM
No, in this particular case the ball was inside the players pants pocket and injected into the game innings later, seemed at the time to give an advantage. There was a lot of sharking going on, cues purposely dropped in line with the shooter in position, barking words and a lot more. I figured the ball came into play because of the same shark routines. it was $600 a set so rules should have been important...sid~~~didn't come out as a liberal until Bozo became the leader and most likely stole my chance of ever retiring, or for that matter living to an old age

Tom_In_Cincy
10-14-2005, 01:11 PM
Rather than removing balls, how about adding another money ball (instead of just the 8 ball)?

Either group would get a wild 'last ball of the group'. The last striped ball on the table and the 8 ball, either for a win (which ever you have better shape).

Deeman3
10-14-2005, 02:29 PM
Tom,

Yep, that would be a tremendous spot among weaker players.

Deeman
would need all the stripes..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

pooldaddy9
10-14-2005, 05:56 PM
Have him spot you games,not take away balls. Taking away balls, just opens up the table for him. I have won more games doing that. I would say give me the break and first shot and I'll take all your balls off the table or I'll take high and low and you just make the eight. Makes it real easy.

c.holtz009
10-14-2005, 08:08 PM
The way I've heard of spotting balls in 8-ball was if the player was getting 2 balls, they would be removed when they were the last two balls of his group, automatically putting him on the 8.

Snapshot9
10-15-2005, 05:37 AM
(Games on the wire are best ... a sure win), but you
can do something simple like you get to name the balls
your opponent has to take after the break.

Colin
10-19-2005, 12:19 AM
Other spot options are these:

1. Opposition receives 1 legal shot to hit one of your balls. (Basically takes being hooked out of the game or provides an extra positional bonus during the frame)

2. Opponent receives 1 ball-in-hand shot to be used anytime during the frame.

If players are considerably weaker you might offer them one of each or mulitiples of each to get to a level playing field.

stephen_joyce
10-19-2005, 04:51 AM
I use to give 3 to 1 on $20 bet to not so good players of 8 ball, after the break i would remove all but 1 of thier balls and it would be thier shot. The thing was i would always leave thier hardest ball, they would more than likley be hooked.
The thing about 8 ball is once the traffic is out of the way it is easy to run out or if you mess upp lay a good safe on the 1 ball that your opponent has remaining.
I did this bet for 3 years and i only lost once to lucky shots.
So to sum up i think 8 ball, if it develops into a game where you cannot run it from the break, try to tie your opponent up on a ball or two whilst leaving him the chance to clear the rest of them and make it easier for you.
regards
SJ