PDA

View Full Version : Does Deeman know?

Chopstick
10-14-2005, 10:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Sid/Cane:

...."you don't know what you don't know"....

Deeman <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">How do you know that? </font color>

Here's what Donald Rumsfeld said about it.

“There are known knowns. There are things we know
we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is
to say, we know there are some things we do not know. But
there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don’t know
we don’t know.”

<font color="blue"> If you don't know, you don't know something, don't you know that? So, that means you know that you don't know what you don't know about. And knowing what you know about what you don't know, means that you actually do know that you don't know anything about it. Therefore Rumsfeld is lying again.(Thought I'd throw that in for general interest.)

Have a nice day Deeman and don't work too hard. </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

wolfdancer
10-14-2005, 10:31 AM
Now I know why your fryer exploded.....'cause my head hurts after reading this

Sid_Vicious
10-14-2005, 10:50 AM
On a serious note, I was sidelined my a friend at the PH the other day to explain the physics of ball reaction for one particular shot, and I replied after listening(and wishing I was back to my game back on my own table) "I don't really feel a need to know all of that, it works and my mind is less cluttered without knowing the details." It would then make me a player who "doesn't know as much as my friend" and yet IMO the shot won't change for me either way except possible wrong if I get into the guts of the physics and clutter my mind, "brain gets in the way." In short, what I don't know helps many times. You see kids under the age of ten who shoot lights out, "Do you really think they have lesson'd themselves and know everything the instructors want to sell?" That's a great analogy, I'm proud of myself /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif..sid

Chopstick
10-14-2005, 12:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> On a serious note, I was sidelined my a friend at the PH the other day to explain the physics of ball reaction for one particular shot, and I replied after listening(and wishing I was back to my game back on my own table) "I don't really feel a need to know all of that, it works and my mind is less cluttered without knowing the details." It would then make me a player who "doesn't know as much as my friend" and yet IMO the shot won't change for me either way except possible wrong if I get into the guts of the physics and clutter my mind, "brain gets in the way." In short, what I don't know helps many times. You see kids under the age of ten who shoot lights out, "Do you really think they have lesson'd themselves and know everything the instructors want to sell?" That's a great analogy, I'm proud of myself /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif..sid <hr /></blockquote>

Your right on track with that. I once read an excellent description of the development cyle of Samurai that I think applies directly to pool. If I can find it again I will post it word for word. I'll try to describe it as best I can.

In the begining, the young swordsman learns to master the physical aspects of swordsmanship. At this point, he has little knowledge and his actions are clear, direct and decisive. He is proud and confident.

In order to advance he must aquire knowledge. When he does, his mind becomes cluttered. He loses confidence and can even be defeated by those of lesser qualifications.

In the last cycle, the knowledge becomes integrated into his nature. He forgets that he knows and his mind becomes clear again.

It is the same for pool players. The difference is that most pool players get stuck in level two. Knowledge itself will not result in mastery. If you could look into the mind of a pool master when he was really on, I can guarantee you would see nothing at all. Pool masters don't shoot pool, they are pool. There's nobody there. There's just a pool game happening. They have lost themselves in it and it unfolds out of them.

The Taoist's have a saying, "Do nothing and leave nothing undone." This is what this means. Don't shoot pool, you gotta be pool. If you have learned the right moves to make you will do them automatically without having to think about it. Learning about the physics of the game is an interesting pastime but I haven't ever seen anyone calculate a ball off the table. If they could SmartyMan would have whooped me years ago. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Deeman3
10-14-2005, 12:34 PM
Chop,

O.K., I'll say it, "If Deeman knew so much he wouldn't be moving his porcine butt all over the world every year or so just trying to make a living...."

Hey, man, I'm dying to play some pool on a real table witrh real players again. It just ain't gonna happen in the deep woods here. Send me a lifeline and a load of insect repellent... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Deeman
may not be in the know, but knows how to fry Frenchies...