PDA

View Full Version : Cue tip size and brand?

preacherman
06-22-2002, 05:07 PM
Hi,
It's been a while but I have a question, I'm a relatively new player, so I am still working out what is right for me. I went from a 20.5 cue to an 18.5 ounce cue this seems to be more comfortable. Now I have always used a 13mm tip.
But a few weeks ago I decided to try my 12mm cue. I really
think I'm playing better with the 12mm tip.

QUESTION: Why do most use a 13mm tip? And what reason is there for me playing better with a 12mm (which I know is hitting less surface on the cue ball)? Also, what is the best tip for a serious player to use (i.e. the standard used tip).

Thanks,
Jim (Preacherman)
goproclaim@aol.com

stickman
06-24-2002, 09:33 AM
I use a 12mm as my primary shooting stick and like it very much. I can't give you technical reasons, but feel if you prefer shooting with one, that's good enough. Whatever technical reason you might suggest, someone will surely debate with you, but no one can debate whether it feels best to you. I think tips are a debatable item also. I have always used the LePro, but recently switched to the Talisman WB. I just got it broke in and in the short time I've used it, it seems to be just a little more to my liking.

TonyM
06-24-2002, 05:10 PM
A recent survey showed that the majority of the pros are not using 13.0 mm tips. The average seems to be in the 12.5 to 12.7 mm range.

There are two possible advantages to a smaller tips. The first is a slight reduction in squirt (due to the reduced effective endmass). This can also be accomplished by other means (like the Predator hollow end shaft, or the Meucci wiggly, waggly ferrule)but the easiest modification is a diameter reduction. The second possible advantage is that it is easier to estimate the actual contact point between the tip and cueball. Consider the extreme case of the tip going down in diameter to a sharp point. In that case the estimated contact point would always be the same as the actual contact point. Now consider a very flat large diameter tip (not totally flat, but a slight curve). On a center ball shot the tip will contact the ball in the center of the tip, and the center of the ball (no problem with estimation here). But when you aim off-center (ie: the majority of the time) the actual contact point will not be in the center of the shaft, but somewhere off center. Thus it requires an estimate (or guess) as to the actual contact point. The larger the tip, the less accurate the estimation (to a degree of course).

This can be seen with 3 cushion tips. Even though the cueball is over 2 3/8" in diameter (ie: much larger than a pool ball) the typical tip diameter is between 11.5 and 12.0 mm! An accurate tip placement is curucial in that game, so the tip size is small. The same is true for Snooker, the tip size is much smaller relative to the ball diameter when compared to a pool cue.

It seems that the only real reason why pool cues retain the large 13 mm size is tradition. Note that in recent years there has been a rise in production or replacement shafts with smaller than 13 mm diameters (12.75 is perhaps the new defacto standard?).

The claim that 13 mm is more "forgiving" is indefensible imo.

Tony
-plays with a 12 mm shaft also.

Tom_In_Cincy
06-24-2002, 05:14 PM
I've tried the 12 mm and then the 12 mm and then finally the 13 mm..

I started out using Elk Master (soft in comparison to others) and liked the feedback I was getting on the hits. Then in 1980 I got a Meucci Original MO7 and it had a LePro tip. At first I was miscue'ing like crazy. LePro tips were much harder than the Elk Master tips I had been using.

I then started focusing more on the stroke using the Meucci LePro tip and my game started to improve. I guess I was forced to make an adjustment, because of the different tip.

I had been using the LePro tip and liked it very much until the Talisman tips were being offered. I got one and started to miscue like the LePro when I first had it. I then started to focus more on the stroke and delivery to the cue ball.. and I really started to play better again.

I will recommend that anyone that is willing to go thru the trial period, try a hard tip. Adjust your focus of your stroke and become more aware of the impact of doing so.

I have a stock pile of Talisman Pro Hard tips now, that I hope will last me for a few years anyway..

06-24-2002, 07:12 PM
When did 3 cushion tips become so small or have they always been smaller then tips for pocket pool? I played pocket pool & 3 cushion from about 65 to 70. I used a Brunswick Medalist cue which has about a 12.75 mm tip. And the 3 cushion players I knew that had custom made sticks usually had bigger tips then mine. I'm not sure if my friend had a Rambo or not. I know it was an expensive cue with two shafts and his tips were bigger then mine. He only played 3 cushion except in taverns he would play pool for drinks and money.

In 1981 I went to Burton Spain because he was recommended as one of the best cuemakers around Chicago for both 3 cushion & pocket pool cues. And I was told he was very knowledgeable and had the iq of a genius. I followed his recommendations and had my cue's two shafts made with the pro taper, and 13 mm tips. Both of these were bigger then my old Medalist cue. He said these would be much better considering I played 3 cushion, as well as pocket pool. And he also told me my Medalist (medium weight) was actually too light to use for billiards. So I went up to a 19.5 oz. He said I could always come back to him to have either or both of my shafts taken down smaller if I wanted to at no extra charge.

06-24-2002, 07:23 PM
I forgot this. Back in 1981 he recommended Le Pro tips and said the harder tips were better. And he recommended the 13 mm size. About two months ago I restarted playing pool. I purchased a Lucasi with a Triangle tip. I think it is a medium hardness. It holds the chalk much better then the Elkmasters or Le Pros I used ever did. But I played mostly with Elkmasters from about 65 to 70. And I played with the LePros on my Spain & Viking cues for maybe 6 months in 81. Then I quit again until a couple months ago. I was always fiddleing around with the tips and using a file or something to rough them up so they would hold the chalk better. I don't do that with the Triangle tips now. I use a tip pick a little after maybe every few times I play. Of the 3 tips I tried it is definitely the best at holding chalk.

06-24-2002, 07:31 PM
Sorry for this 3rd consecutive post. I've been playing at 63rd St. Billiards in Downers Grove, Il. And I've played in about 4 tournaments. I've seen the owner Rich recommend
Tailsman tips to almost everyone that has him replace a tip. I've been around when about 10 players have asked about getting their tip replaced. I know he sends out most of his repair work. But I think he puts on some of the tips himself. What I usually hear him say is for the few extra dollars, you should try the tailsman. If you don't like it I will replace it free of charge. Maybe he only says that to his regulars or good customers. I think he charges $18 to have the Tailsman's put on. He has others, including Triangle starting from $13, I think. I figured I should mention this because he seems to know what he's talking about. And because from what I've read Tailsman really stands behind his products and contributes much to this board.