View Full Version : Really exotic cue wraps

Snapshot9
10-17-2005, 11:01 AM
A friend of mine, who is a rep for Renis and Jacoby cues
showed me some cues recently. One was a Jacoby that he
designed ($2500 cue) that had a Stingray wrap on it. He
also showed me a Renis cue that had Jacoby inlays in it,
and it had a Stingray wrap.
I stroked both the cues (Renis cues are fairly popular around here), and was a little amazed at how the Stringray
wrap felt. It felt a little scaley, but was very easy to
grip with no much pressure from your butt hand. I kind of felt like I was driving a car I had always wanted to, but
couldn't afford ... lol It sure has a unique look to it,
and think it would look best on a cue with black and white
on it. I have always been intrgued a little by leather wraps, especially by some of the more exotic ones.

What is your take on exotic wraps on cues, other than they
are more expensive? And do dyed leather wraps ever have a problem with the color fading or coming off?
I had a George eelskin cue case once. Beautiful to look at,
but it scuffed and scarred very easily.

theinel
10-17-2005, 11:01 PM
I recently got to spend some time playing with a cue that has a Burmese Python wrap. The wrap looked great, on an all ebony and ivory cue, and felt very comfortable no matter what the room temperature or moisture content in the air was.

I can't say anything about how well exotic wraps hold up under use or what value they really add over a quality linen or leather wrap but I was very impressed with this one.

LC3
10-17-2005, 11:26 PM
At AZ, someone posted a pic of a Searing with an elephant ear skin wrap.

http://www.azbilliards.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?t=14143

Aside from the cue being a typically gorgeous Searing, I'm impressed by that wrap.

Rod
10-17-2005, 11:29 PM
My ex GF had a Boa, I never got use to handling that snake. No time soon would I use that for a wrap, I don't know maybe it was just the temprature of that snake but it would be easy to grip.

I'm going with textured leather on my Schon because of the small handle. This linnen and handle size causes me to grip the cue more than necessary. Textured leather is easier to hold plus smooth gets scuffed easier and be very noticable in feel.

Rod

Rod
10-18-2005, 12:17 AM
I like that cue and the wrap. I wonder how thick elephant skin really is. Looks great.

Rod

ceebee
10-18-2005, 07:25 AM
The skin is about .040 thick. It is also tough. The only problem, encountered with wrap around wraps, is the seam. If the seam sees any signs of trouble, you will have to have the wrap looked at. There lots of 60s-70s Hoppe Cues with one piece leather wraps that are still OK. I like leather, even in the Summer.

Plummerbutt
10-18-2005, 07:37 PM
I currently have Brazillian Iguanna leather on my Midwest. I really like it. It grips good even in humid rooms. I played with an Irish Linen wrap for years and liked it also. However, once I tried leather I decided I'll be sticking to it.

Anyone ever tried bullhide?

wantsumrice
10-19-2005, 05:14 PM
What's the point in having wraps anyway?