PDA

View Full Version : Origin of 8 Ball?

Bumps
10-17-2005, 02:14 PM
I've been trying to find some info on this for years and have come up empty.
Anyone have any information on the origins of 8 ball? I started playing it myself {and no longer play it} in the early '60s. Pretty sure it began in the early fifties or forties but I'm not sure.

Bob_Jewett
10-17-2005, 02:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bumps:</font><hr> I've been trying to find some info on this for years and have come up empty.
Anyone have any information on the origins of 8 ball? I started playing it myself {and no longer play it} in the early '60s. Pretty sure it began in the early fifties or forties but I'm not sure. <hr /></blockquote>
According to one of Mike Shamos's books or articles, 8 ball started around 1900. It is listed in the 1914 BBC Rule Book on page 45 as BBCCo Pocket Billiards. A copy of that rule book is available for free on the SFBA web site on the misc files page.

Bumps
10-17-2005, 02:33 PM
Thanks, Bob! Any thoughts on why or how the game was invented?

Bob_Jewett
10-17-2005, 02:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bumps:</font><hr> Thanks, Bob! Any thoughts on why or how the game was invented? <hr /></blockquote>
Well, in the 1914 version of the rules, it required a special set of balls. Maybe it was a BBCCo promotion scheme. Shamos is the one to ask.

Barbara
10-17-2005, 03:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> Well, in the 1914 version of the rules, it required a special set of balls. Maybe it was a BBCCo promotion scheme. Shamos is the one to ask. <hr /></blockquote>

As opposed to Jesse Jackson's or Louis Farakkan's (sp?) idea that 8-ball was invented by the white man to discriminate against the black man in the US.

What an ignorant statement that was.

Yes, it used to be played with an entirely different set of balls.

Barbara

BooBoo
10-18-2005, 06:16 AM
Just guessing here but I would think that with the invention of the coin-op table 8-ball may of been the game of choice, such as it is now. I think the original coin-op table came out in the early 1900's. At that time there were different games being played than what we play now. Just like in bowling where you had pin boys, in pool you had rack boys. Just like today where automation may eliminate the need for an attendant, so did the coin-op table. In order to play you had to drop the coin right into the slot. Thus the evolution of 8-ball.

Bumps
10-18-2005, 05:27 PM
I don't know when the coin-op table came about. I think I've heard but don't remember at the moment. I'm quite aware of the bar box popularity of the game. I'm more interested in how and why the game came to be. One theory I've heard is that the game was invented for people who didn't have the skills or patience to learn Straight Pool or it's predecessor, 15-Ball Continuous or maybe Pyramid Pool. I may try to contact Mike Shamos.

SplinterHands
10-18-2005, 05:50 PM
I heard the caveman got tired of playing 7-ball, so they made the switch.

HALHOULE
01-09-2006, 05:01 AM
Frequented the pool hall dens of iniquity at the age of ten, but never saw any eight ball being played. That was in 1934. Rode my bike around to the pool halls in Boston, quizzing every player in the place. I was a pest all right, but the nice thing was that they talked pool to me. They looked after me. I was one of them. They are all long gone.