PDA

View Full Version : Proper rack technique

underdog
10-17-2005, 10:50 PM
Has anyone ever heard of "spinning the balls" while racking having any effect on the tightness of the rack? I had someone complaining about my teammate doing this and he said it was cheating. He said it makes the rack loose. I was told by a senior pro that this makes the rack tighter if you are having trouble getting the rack to stay tight.

Rod
10-17-2005, 11:08 PM
I do it all the time, only had one complaint, he was behind. As I see it you roll the balls while in place to make the rack tighter. Used balls aren't round so doing this usually takes up some small gaps. If it doesn't work I move ball positions untill I can make it a tight rack. There is nothing wrong with doing this. Guys and gals have racked this way against me for the same reason, for a tighter rack.

Rod

pooltchr
10-18-2005, 04:04 AM
Rod,
I do the same thing. Hold the rack with my fingers, and use my thumbs to roll balls forward and in toward the center. It pushes everything in toward the point ball. The only time I don't do it is if it's one of those cheap plastic racks that allows the two balls behind the point ball to separate when you do it.
Steve

ceebee
10-18-2005, 07:17 AM
The fellow complaining about getting a TIGHT RACK, must have been losing. There are Winners & Whiners in every League & Tournament.

tjlmbklr
10-20-2005, 04:41 PM
I just purchased my first table a few months ago. I did not like the cheap plastic rack that they gave with the table, so I purchase a wood one that matched the color of the table. I new that their was a chance that the rack my not be true so I had the store keep let me use a set of balls to see it the a meshed up tight; They did! Then my first night of pool I tried the rack and could not close all the gaps.. What gives now I am usingthe cheap one insted.Is it the balls? They are the basic Arimith ones supplied with the table. And also I cannot (after holding tight) get the balls to stay put after lifting the rack they want to fall out posistion. I know quality felt can help this but I have been able to rack tight on the same quality cloth.

What gives, any advice would be appreciated.

wolfdancer
10-20-2005, 04:55 PM
Only two reasons that I can think of, for the balls rolling off....they are slightly off balance....or the table itself has a problem...I think it's the balls.
I bought the good set of Arimiths, when I got my table, and they racked perfect for quite awhile.....now occasionally one wants to move, but i just rotate it, and find it's balance point.
You could buy a Sardo, and dimple the cloth to get them to hold.....

tjlmbklr
10-20-2005, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You could buy a Sardo, and dimple the cloth to get them to hold..... <hr /></blockquote>

I considered the Sardo but i know the importance of getting the rack in the same spot each time with it. I don't have a lot of friends that are as meticulous as I and I don't know how that will affect long tem use on the table.

wolfdancer
10-20-2005, 10:13 PM
I wouldn't buy one

theinel
10-21-2005, 12:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tjlmbklr:</font><hr>I considered the Sardo but i know the importance of getting the rack in the same spot each time with it. I don't have a lot of friends that are as meticulous as I and I don't know how that will affect long tem use on the table. <hr /></blockquote>
tjlmbklr,

I'm not promoting the Sardo, it is what it is, but I can say this... If you just recently bought a table or had one re-clothed, then the Sardo works very well if you follow the instructions that come with it. These instructions have you put the balls, tightly held together, where they will be racked and then gently tap them into place. This clearly creates indentations in the cloth that the balls gravitate towards so that the balls naturally stay in close proximity (i.e. tightly racked).

I feel that this method might work well for any rack on new cloth but have never had occasion to try it with anything other than a Sardo. I have used this method with a Sardo thought and I can say that it works very well although it's not always perfect.

Jay M
10-23-2005, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This clearly creates indentations in the cloth that the balls gravitate towards so that the balls naturally stay in close proximity (i.e. tightly racked).
<hr /></blockquote>

Yes, it does, but the rack is unnecessary for this, just use the template and you can rack them by hand-placing and they will fall in the dents the same. At the 2001 Open, one of the two Sardo racks in the practice room broke and we were just placing them in the same dents by hand with the same results as the rack.

I've seen people (definitely beginners) "spin" the one ball when racking. This isn't rolling them into place, they actually spin it horizontally. If they lock it in place by pushing up on the rack while it's spinning, it's still a tight rack. I've seen some people leave it spinning and remove the rack, this is definitely a loose rack.

HTH,
Jay M

Snapshot9
10-23-2005, 09:14 PM
Proper rack technique depends on whether you are the racker
or the breaker. Ever see 2 great players playing each other, especially for a lot of money. Both are capable to run out on any table, but the one winning is the one getting the best breaks, but that doesn't mean he is the best breaker, rather it means he is the BEST RACKER. I think
you can figure the rest out ...

Rich R.
10-24-2005, 02:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote theinel:</font><hr>These instructions have you put the balls, tightly held together, where they will be racked and then gently tap them into place. This clearly creates indentations in the cloth that the balls gravitate towards so that the balls naturally stay in close proximity (i.e. tightly racked).<hr /></blockquote>This also makes it difficult to accurately slow roll any shot through that area. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Eric.
10-24-2005, 10:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snapshot9:</font><hr> Proper rack technique depends on whether you are the racker
or the breaker. Ever see 2 great players playing each other, especially for a lot of money. Both are capable to run out on any table, but the one winning is the one getting the best breaks, but that doesn't mean he is the best breaker, rather it means he is the BEST RACKER. I think
you can figure the rest out ... <hr /></blockquote>

That opens another can of worms. Waht do you do to stop someone from making balls on the break? MAybe this should be another thread all together. For example, small gaps are the obvious thing. The not-so-obvious is putting more "tension" on one side of the rack, tilting the rack or moving the 1 ball around the spot.

Anyone care to add to this?

Eric

wolfdancer
10-24-2005, 11:23 AM
If someone feels they have to cheat to win...maybe they are playing the wrong sport/game.

wolfdancer
10-24-2005, 11:31 AM
There is now a cheap alternative to the Sardo Rack....

http://www.dick-blick.com/items/369/02/36902-1007-1ww.jpg

Stretch
10-24-2005, 11:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> If someone feels they have to cheat to win...maybe they are playing the wrong sport/game. <hr /></blockquote>

I'm guilty of moveing the rack up or back a little if the head ball keeps rolling off, or they won't stay tight. I always give a tight rack. Besides it's in my best interest to ensure that the 9 ball is frozen to the two in back. If there's any gap the 9 ball will run out of the pack....not good lol. Also a wing ball will shoot to a back corner more readily if it's not frozen.

Ball placement within a rack, is another tool u can use to help your odds of getting back to the table. St.

wolfdancer
10-24-2005, 12:17 PM
Stretch, there's a lot of theories about ball placement within the rack...that's fair, as is giving the tightest rack. One T.D. in Ca. racked the balls so tight....that the jackpot built up to $9,000 before someone snapped in the 9....interestingly, it was a guy in a wheelchair.
The other guy wants to loosen the rack, move it off the spot, angle it, etc.....not even a truck driver would do that (breaker, breaker,19).....I'll bet , that he expects a good rack, when it's his turn to break.
that wouldn't be cricket though. I'll take up lawn bowling instead, if I can't compete without playing fair.

Eric.
10-24-2005, 12:50 PM
Easy, Wolf, I didn't want you to assume I meant that cheating was the way to go...

Realistically, it does happen. Sometimes, the best way not to get slugged is to know what you're looking for. Joe Tucker had a book out that explained gaps in the 9 ball rack.

For that matter, switch to 10 ball...

Eric &gt;16 ball?

wolfdancer
10-24-2005, 01:01 PM
I've heard about Joe Tucker's racking secrets.....I'd like to
read the book.
My own break is pretty sad....Nothing seems to work
I think my fast twitch muscles are on idle speed.
It's like giving up at least a game or two in a race to 7, not being able to control the next shot after the break

Rich R.
10-24-2005, 01:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> I've heard about Joe Tucker's racking secrets.....I'd like to
read the book. <hr /></blockquote>
An updated version of Joe's book is included in the new book, "The Great Break Shot", by Charley Bond, aka ceebee here on the CCB.
http://www.breakrak.com/Accessories.html

wolfdancer
10-24-2005, 01:52 PM
Rich, thanks for the link !!!