PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Minds

KWILSON
10-19-2005, 07:42 AM
I was wondering if anyone does any sort of mind strengthening exercises or take any type of vitamins?
Smoking pot don't count. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
10-19-2005, 09:16 AM
Mental Exercises?

I read, at least 4 hours a day. I commuicate in person, no text messaging.

For pocket billiards, I have drills that I can only accomplish if I am 'in stroke', my goal with these drills is to be 'instroke' within a certain number of shots (less than 10 is good for me, the lower the better)

I use TV for news, sports and watching dvds

Stretch
10-19-2005, 10:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote KWILSON:</font><hr> I was wondering if anyone does any sort of mind strengthening exercises or take any type of vitamins?
Smoking pot don't count. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Practice visualization techniques. I find that the better i get at "seeing" the shot in it's entirety before hand, the better odds at doing it. What this enhanced imagery does imo is add up to that "feeling". It's that feeling that you get when u KNOW it's going down. St.

randyg
10-19-2005, 10:42 AM
Crossword puzzles!

silverbullet
10-19-2005, 02:56 PM
I do self-hypnosis before entering the poolhall and biofeedback while sitting in the chair during matches or waiting to play. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Cane
10-19-2005, 04:17 PM
Nah, just go through my preshot routine and pocket the balls. Never saw any need to get all Zen-like or anything.

Bob

dg-in-centralpa
10-19-2005, 07:04 PM
I agree with crossword puzzles. I also do the "Cryptoquote," where a quote is in code and you have to break it. This sometimes will drive me crazy if I can't find a starting point.

DG

Snapshot9
10-20-2005, 10:22 AM
I think that meditation techniques help. I have always
believed in mind, body, and spirit balancing type of thing
helps a person. Being at peace inside will help bring your
A game to the surface.
I have also found the ginseng helps the mind for clarity,
which I get in a 24 multi-vitamin mineral called 'Fortify',
a Kroger product (and not expensive). It also contains Lutein, which is good for the eyes.

Billy
10-20-2005, 11:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote KWILSON:</font><hr> I was wondering if anyone does any sort of mind strengthening exercises or take any type of vitamins?
Smoking pot don't count. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I play or practice serious pool daily

jmo

theinel
10-21-2005, 01:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> Nah, just go through my preshot routine and pocket the balls. Never saw any need to get all Zen-like or anything.

Bob <hr /></blockquote>
I think your method is pretty close to Zen without doing a lot of the very difficult things that Zen requires. I've spent years going back and forth between "It's me against the world" (All self method) and "get in touch with the Zen" (No self method) to be successful at the table. They both work but for me life is much more enjoyable with the Zen method.

DickLeonard
10-21-2005, 06:38 AM
KWilson, I my prime I would be in a trance when playing Pool.

This is a true story when running the Albany Golden Cue I was playing someone on the table in front of the desk area. The telephone rang I went to answer the phone tripped up the stairs to the desk, dropping my cue on the floor,grapped the phone which twisted out of my hands, due to the armored cord, banging into the desk, went down the stairs missing the last step, caught myself before I hit the floor.

I finished running 115 and out. After the game Harry a Regular, came over to me and said your amazing you tripped up the stairs,dropped the phone,tripped down the stairs and run 115 and out. How do you do it?

DickLeonard
10-21-2005, 06:48 AM
KWilson, I have read where people take vitamins to control their adrenaline when playing in the World Series of Poker.

Also Voilinst who try out for a vacancy at the Boston Symphony take a Beta Blocked to control their adrenaline. It is the most pressure packed experience man can encounter according to the writer of the article.####

silverbullet
10-21-2005, 08:59 AM
My husband in the past took a beta blocker to cut down on the nerves. But in thinking, It just seemed to me that if a person is THAT nervous, then something is going on in the head that needs to be 'fixed'.

I well remember being nervous when first starting pool and thinking 'playing pool all jumbled up in the nerves is no fun at all; if I cannot fix my head there is no point in playing pool'. It was not an issue of whether I was any good at pool, but that at whatever level I played, I wanted it to be an enjoyable experience. So, I started looking at what was going on in my head keeping me from having fun.

One thing I know is that it is impossible to have two competing thoughts in one's head at the same time. I found that if I had a negative thought like, 'that is the game ball, you might miss it', cannot be in the head at the same time as 'no problem, get get down, stroke the ball and it will go in', for example. So, at first, I tried to 'catch myself' thinking defeating thoughts and putting 'winning thoughts' in my head. Having 'winning thoughts' did not mean I won, but that I was relaxed and having fun.

Eventually I got to this kind of attitude. This is a game.It is just a chance to have fun competing, so although I try my best to win, whether I do or not does not really matter. The less the outcome including any mistakes I make matter to me, the more relaxed, focused and the better I play.

People get mad at themselves all of the time for mistakes which can make them play worse. Everyone makes mistakes, no one is perfect, no not one, so why worry about them? Why not just see them as opportunities to learn, as well as learning from the good things one's opponent does? Call that zen or not. Of couse I plan patterns and strategy but if things do not turn out quite the way I planned, 'oh well, it is just a game anyway'. That chases the nerves away and decreases the likelihood of mental chatter going on while trying to shoot. To be corny, it is like the Monk said 'be one with the shot'.

Some people just naturally are relaxed and confident, but I was not one of them. So what I said above was a 'humorous quip' on what I initially did to get over that hurdle.I revisit those methods if I have not competed for awhile, being rusty in the mental department, but after a few matches, they are not necessary to have fun. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I do take vitamins too but that has nothing to do with pool, but health in general, just like drinking plenty of water, keeping oneself in decent physical shape, getting enough rest, etc.

Laura

Qtec
10-21-2005, 09:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I read, at least 4 hours a day. <hr /></blockquote>

I,m not sure reading is a mental exercise. A. Einstein had a quote on books/reading which I cant find.

Another one of his quotes is which is relevant is,
"imagination is more important than knowledge".

Qtec.....I,m not saying you shouldnt read books tho.