PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre Mistakes

Sid_Vicious
10-19-2005, 10:57 AM
I was told a story about two of the bigger money types here locally who were recently playing 1-P for $500, they got into a real intense defensive game during the end when each player only needed 1 ball to win, and after much back and forth defense, one player obviously got disoriented and fired a ball right into the other players hole, blowing 500! Then in another game that same session(maybe the next game) the same defensive battle occured all over again, and this time, the opposite opponent returned the favor and made the exact same mistake, fired the ball into the other guy's hole and lost the cash. I thought it bizarre enough to post whether there are stories from y'll about total F-ups such as this. Quite a deal, huh.,,,sid

Chopstick
10-19-2005, 11:52 AM
One time I was playing SmartyMan some nine ball. He came to the table and started shooting the balls off in the wrong order. I called foul and he said "What? I'm solids, right?"

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Bob_Jewett
10-19-2005, 12:03 PM
"That's a foul, Mr. Mosconi."

"Foul? What foul?"

"You're chalking with the two ball."

Or at least that's the way the story goes.

I've shot the wrong ball at nine ball, which seems to be relatively common.

Sid_Vicious
10-19-2005, 12:17 PM
How's that rendetion of the two seasoned opponents tossing 500 away back to back like that though? I ain't trying to glorify my story or minimize goofing on a wrong 9-ball rotation, just thought it was really on the unusual side is all...sid

UWPoolGod
10-19-2005, 12:20 PM
I was playing in a team event at Long Beach, WA that was hosted between two bars. We were on our way through the winners bracket until we eventually lost in the semis. I was 11-0 in games up to the point in this next losers bracket scenario. 5 man teams and I think it was a race to 7. We are up 5-4. I am playing the 10th game and run the table but can't get shape on my last ball so I play safe on my 2nd to last ball leaving two on the table. My opponent starts running out and then plays safe. After two or three rounds of playing safe he decided to go for the runout and misses his 2nd to last ball on a wide open table. I was so surprised to get a shot again I walked up and played a perfect safe behind the 8ball, he would have a two rail kick. Of course...this would have been a good safe had I not switched balls and used his ball to play the perfect safe!! He walks up to the table and says ball in hand? After thinking I had played a perfect safe I grimaced and said that it was. That was the most bonehead play I have made. Don't know what I was thinking since I had 4 opportunities at the table shooting at solids. LAAAMMEEE!!!!

dg-in-centralpa
10-19-2005, 02:13 PM
Last year in leagues, a guy on my team was shooting solids. In the middle of the game, he forgets what he's shooting and starts on stripes. His opponent never realized what had happened and eventually lost the game.

DG

Chopstick
10-19-2005, 02:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> How's that rendetion of the two seasoned opponents tossing 500 away back to back like that though? I ain't trying to glorify my story or minimize goofing on a wrong 9-ball rotation, just thought it was really on the unusual side is all...sid <hr /></blockquote>

Back to back might be a bit odd but shooting at the wrong hole in a one pocket game is not that unusual. You alternate the break in one pocket so every game you switch pockets. Grady Matthews did it to me the last time I played him.

theinel
10-20-2005, 03:10 AM
My team and I were playing in the finals of our local BCA league session to earn a trip to BCA Vegas 8_Ball Nationals (a non-cash value of $3000).

One of my teammates was at the table with two balls and the eight remaining on the table which were quite clearly in a stop, stop, stop pattern. He shot one of his balls in which was completely against any theory of position play, that I or any of my other teammates had ever seen, and we all groaned at the what he left himself with. He then proceeded to shoot the eight ball in and lose the game.

After we all confronted him he said "Wow, I never even saw the six ball". Not quite the meaning of color blind but the moment will stick with me forever. On a positive note we ended up winning the match so it went down as a blooper and not a Buckner.

sack316
10-20-2005, 01:37 PM
I know there's a ton that I just can't think of right now. I do recall once playing some relatively cheap games of 9 ball, I had ball in hand after my opponent scratched on the break. I set up a fairly tough touch shot on the one to slide down to the other end of the table avoiding traffic to get shape on a "not easy" combo on the 9 (was not a good table to try to run on, so had to try it). Lined up nicely and hit a good stroke to pocket the 3-9! Only problem being that I forgot about the 2 ball. What's worse is the 2 was on the same end of the table in the opposite corner, so I could have just tapped it on in and had the same combo shot.
He said he didn't stop me because he thought I was lining up the combo for the NEXT shot. All I could say was "uh, I just didn't wanna win that way, so I took it out so it could spot up". Yeah, right. lol