PDA

View Full Version : The new guy

Drop1
10-19-2005, 09:21 PM
We had our three hours of play tonight,and I have to say,and not in a shy way,the night was mine. I did what Chopstick said,I did what Fran said, I found his weakness,and except for one time when he ran the table,I beat him every game using stratagy. He got upset with my safty shots,and one time asked me if I always played chicken [censored] pool. My next shot I dropped my last object ball, leaving perfect position on the eight. Made the eight,and never changed expression,"losers bank" I said,walking back for the break. He was going nuts. I killed him from the inside. Hal you are so wrong in what you said. Now for the kicker, the guy is a retired economics professor from Texas,and now that he is mine,he turns out to be a really nice guy that lost his wife not too long ago. The bottom line is a forum can make you think before you shot,it can tell you what strategy is,it can tell you how to do it. Thanks to you guys I could intemidate my opponent,and control the table. The new guy is now a [censored] cat. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran Crimi
10-25-2005, 08:22 PM
Wow, I totally missed this post. Great going! Sounds like you brought him down to earth a little and made a new friend in the process. Congratulations.

Fran /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DickLeonard
10-26-2005, 05:01 AM
Drop1, As I said that is how you get to the top by climbing over the bodies of the fallen. Nobody started out on the Top. ####

Qtec
10-26-2005, 06:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
he turns out to be a really nice guy <hr /></blockquote>

Told you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Winning one battle doesnt win you the war. He will wise up and do the same to you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif You watch. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers
Q

Chopstick
10-26-2005, 06:30 AM
<font color="blue">Roll with It. </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Drop1
10-26-2005, 07:32 PM
I think you are right,and I'm waiting for his tactics to change. And going over different ways he will aproach a new set. If I can read him quick enough, I think I can take him again. If not this time, the next time. I have been playing snooker, I'm bad,but getting better.

Chopstick
10-27-2005, 07:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> I think you are right,and I'm waiting for his tactics to change. And going over different ways he will aproach a new set. If I can read him quick enough, I think I can take him again. If not this time, the next time. I have been playing snooker, I'm bad,but getting better. <hr /></blockquote>

Don't worry. There are other things in the trick bag. Here's another one.

All players are naturally symmetrically rhythmed. It's different for each player but everyone has a pace. They move to the beat of unheard music. Everyone has a different tune. Free wheelers are totally dependant on this. Whether or not anyone realizes it, there is a certain amount of interdependency between rhythms that develops between palyers as a match progesses.

Train yourself to be asymettrical. Here's now. Warm up in your usual way then sit down and let your stroke get cold. Take a shot of reasonable difficulty. Sit in the chair for a minute. Stand up, flat footed and cold, shoot the shot. Sit down again and repeat the process until you can make a shot with a cold stroke. You will need this confidence to employ this atrategy.

Watch your guy play. Feel his rhythm. Lock onto it and make it your own. Give him his game. Play to his tune. Then spring it. Change the tune. Syncopation. When he plays his shot. Stand up out of the chair and walk to the table without your stick and look the shot over. Study it and make a plan. Then go get your stick and shoot it.

The next time he plays a safe, decide in advance where the balls are going. Formulate your response while he is still shooting. Get out of the chair as soon as he hits the cue ball and be at the table ready to shoot by the time the balls stop moving. Shoot your response immediately. Don't even let him get back to his chair. He has to shoot again and didn't even get to sit down.

At this point he doesn't know what to expect. His sense of timing between shots will be disrupted. He will lose his rhythm and in so doing will lose his center. He will start to miss shots he normally makes and won't know why. He will probably say he's just playing bad today. Watch him and you will see why. He will rush some shots and take too long over others. When you see him lose his ryhthm restart yours and sting him. You can do this because you have trained yourself to go from a cold start. If he starts to get it back, break it up again.

I was once in a match with an excellent player. As he walked by me to rack he asked if I played chess. I told him yes and I liked one pocket also. He said "I thought so. You are a strategic player. I realized that too late about you and it's probably going to cost me this match."

You know what? It did. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Drop1
10-27-2005, 05:51 PM
Thanks Chopstick,I never would have thought of a tactic like you are talking about,but when I was young,I did a little boxing,and part of boxing goes right along with what you are saying. Your posts could be a text on control.

MacGyver
10-28-2005, 01:24 AM
aw come on that crosses the line between playing better strategy and sharking someone....

There is a difference between changing your game to out-play someone, and messing them up mentally so they don't shoot well thus giving you the win...

One is acceptable and one isn't(in my book, but I'm only an amature who doesnt play for much money). I guess if you have money on the line then shark away but personally if you are playing just to win then let the guy have his rythmn.

I mean I agree that you should be able to shoot cold, but I don't think that sharking someone is a good technique for friendly games...

nhp
10-28-2005, 05:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> I think you are right,and I'm waiting for his tactics to change. And going over different ways he will aproach a new set. If I can read him quick enough, I think I can take him again. If not this time, the next time. I have been playing snooker, I'm bad,but getting better. <hr /></blockquote>

Don't worry. There are other things in the trick bag. Here's another one.

All players are naturally symmetrically rhythmed. It's different for each player but everyone has a pace. They move to the beat of unheard music. Everyone has a different tune. Free wheelers are totally dependant on this. Whether or not anyone realizes it, there is a certain amount of interdependency between rhythms that develops between palyers as a match progesses.

Train yourself to be asymettrical. Here's now. Warm up in your usual way then sit down and let your stroke get cold. Take a shot of reasonable difficulty. Sit in the chair for a minute. Stand up, flat footed and cold, shoot the shot. Sit down again and repeat the process until you can make a shot with a cold stroke. You will need this confidence to employ this atrategy.

Watch your guy play. Feel his rhythm. Lock onto it and make it your own. Give him his game. Play to his tune. Then spring it. Change the tune. Syncopation. When he plays his shot. Stand up out of the chair and walk to the table without your stick and look the shot over. Study it and make a plan. Then go get your stick and shoot it.

The next time he plays a safe, decide in advance where the balls are going. Formulate your response while he is still shooting. Get out of the chair as soon as he hits the cue ball and be at the table ready to shoot by the time the balls stop moving. Shoot your response immediately. Don't even let him get back to his chair. He has to shoot again and didn't even get to sit down.

At this point he doesn't know what to expect. His sense of timing between shots will be disrupted. He will lose his rhythm and in so doing will lose his center. He will start to miss shots he normally makes and won't know why. He will probably say he's just playing bad today. Watch him and you will see why. He will rush some shots and take too long over others. When you see him lose his ryhthm restart yours and sting him. You can do this because you have trained yourself to go from a cold start. If he starts to get it back, break it up again.

I was once in a match with an excellent player. As he walked by me to rack he asked if I played chess. I told him yes and I liked one pocket also. He said "I thought so. You are a strategic player. I realized that too late about you and it's probably going to cost me this match."

You know what? It did. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>

LOL this post was hilarious....please tell me you are joking.

A better and realistic method is to put the balls in the hole without missing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chopstick
10-28-2005, 12:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MacGyver:</font><hr> aw come on that crosses the line between playing better strategy and sharking someone....

There is a difference between changing your game to out-play someone, and messing them up mentally so they don't shoot well thus giving you the win...

One is acceptable and one isn't(in my book, but I'm only an amature who doesnt play for much money). I guess if you have money on the line then shark away but personally if you are playing just to win then let the guy have his rythmn.

I mean I agree that you should be able to shoot cold, but I don't think that sharking someone is a good technique for friendly games... <hr /></blockquote>

Sharking? Maybe so. Sneaky, definitely. Whether or not you guys decide to embrace the "Dark Side" you should be aware that people can and will do it to you deliberately. Sometimes it will happen accidently. Many times when I see players fall apart in the middle of a match it's because they broke rhythm.

The most blatant example of this I ever saw happened at the Tennessee 9 ball Open back in 88, I think. Anyhow Wade Crane was playing some guy, I can't remember his name, and Wade won the toss and broke and ran six racks. The rules at that tournament stated you could get a bathroom break in the middle of a match for ten minutes if you wanted one. You just laid your stick across the table and went.

Well after Wade ran six racks the guy laid his stick across the table and went to the bathroom for the full ten minutes. When he came back he racked the balls and Wade had gotten cold and didn't make anything. The guy ran out that rack and broke and ran three more. Wade walks up and lays his stick across the table and walks over and sits down at the bar in plain view of everybody. Everybody laughed and cheered when he did that. Wade sat there for the full ten minutes and the other guy couldn't say a thing. Everybody knew what he had done and why.

After ten minutes Wade racked the balls and the other guy was cold and didn't make anything and Wade ran out the last three racks to win the match. It was great. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

sneakypapi
10-29-2005, 12:22 PM
The best way to throw a player off rhythm is to get a huge lead and keep it. That not only throws them off track it also frustrates them. I saw this happen to Johnny Archer in the BCA Final when he lost 7-0, he was really off.

Drop1
10-29-2005, 03:56 PM
I want my opponent to use every skill,he,or she has against me. If they can throw my game off balance I learn something. I never play for money,and a real friend will give me their best game any way. I think the object should always be to win. I don't give mercey,and I don't expect mercey. I will take a beating any day,if I can learn from it. Every pool player is a shark at heart in my opinion. That is to say ,they are compulsive competitors,and therein is the heart of the game. No one plays to lose.

silverbullet
10-29-2005, 04:53 PM
I think it is fun to mess up the other player's head. My policy is that if they are too much better than me for me to beat, then I will do my best to get them frustrated and all mentally torn up. Maybe I have this sadistic streak or something. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Laura