PDA

View Full Version : The China Problem

Qtec
10-20-2005, 04:04 AM
China Crisis: threat to the global environment
Spectacular growth now biggest threat to environment
By Michael McCarthy, Environment Editor
Published: 19 October 2005
Western politicians queue up to sing its praises. Economists regard it with awe and delight. Other countries are desperate to imitate it. Yet there is another side to China's exploding, double-digit-growth miracle economy - it is turning into one of the greatest environmental threats the earth has ever faced.

An ominous sign of the danger is given in a groundbreaking report from Greenpeace, published today, which maintains that China is now by far the world's biggest driver of rainforest destruction. The report documents the vast deforestation driven by the soaring demands of China's enormous timber trade - the world's largest - as the country's headlong economic development sucks in ever-more amounts of the earth's natural resources.

Citing figures from the International Tropical Timber Organisation, the Greenpeace study says that nearly five out of every 10 tropical hardwood logs shipped from the world's threatened rainforests are now heading for China - more than to any other destination.

Yet deforestation is only one of the threats to the planet posed by an economy of 1.3 billion people that has now overtaken the United States as the world's leading consumer of four out of the five basic food, energy and industrial commodities - grain, meat, oil, coal and steel. China now lags behind the US only in consumption of oil - and it is rapidly catching up.

Because of their increasing reliance on coal-fired power stations to provide their energy, the Chinese are firmly on course to overtake the Americans as the world's biggest emitters of greenhouse gases, and thus become the biggest contributors to global warming and the destabilisation of the climate. If they remain uncontrolled, the growth of China's carbon dioxide emissions over the next 20 years will dwarf any cuts in CO2 that the rest of the world can make.

Even that, however, is not the ultimate threat from an economy which is growing at a rate the world has never seen before. According to Lester Brown of the Earth Policy Institute in Washington DC, the leading American environmental analyst, China's scarcely imaginable growth in the coming years means that the world's population will simply run up against the limits of the planet's natural resources sooner than anyone imagines.

If growth continues at 8 per cent a year, Mr Brown said, by 2031 China's population, likely to be 1.45 billion on current UN predictions, will have an income per person equivalent to that of the US today. He said: "China's grain consumption will then be two-thirds of the current grain consumption for the entire world. If it consumes oil at the same rate as the US today, the Chinese will be consuming 99 million barrels a day - and the whole world is currently producing 84 million barrels a day, and will probably not produce much more.

"If it consumes paper at the same rate we do, it will consume twice as much paper as the world is now producing. There go the world's forests. If the Chinese then have three cars for every four people - as the US does today - they would have a fleet of 1.1 billion cars, compared to the current world fleet of 800 million. They would have to pave over an area equivalent to the area they have planted with rice today, just to drive and park them."

Mr Brown, who has been tracking and documenting the world's major environmental trends for 30 years, went on: "The point of these conclusions is simply to demonstrate that the western economic model is not going to work for China. All they're doing is what we've already done, so you can't criticise them for that. But what you can say is, it's not going to work. And if it doesn't work for China, by 2031 it won't work for India, which by then will have an even larger population, nor for the other three billion people in the developing countries.

"And in some way it will not work for the industrialised countries either, because in the incredibly integrated global economy, we all depend on the same oil and the same grain.

"The bottom line of this analysis is that we're going to have to develop a new economic model. Instead of a fossil-fuel based, automobile-centred, throw-away economy we will have to have a renewable-energy based, diversified transport system, and comprehensive reuse and recycle economies. "If we want civilisation to survive, we will have to have that. Otherwise civilisation will collapse."

The Greenpeace report is one of the first major indictments of the catastrophic environmental effects the great Chinese industrial behemoth is starting to have on the rest of the world.

Whole article here (http://news.independent.co.uk/world/asia/article320565.ece)

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

eg8r
10-20-2005, 05:20 AM
OMG, all we will hear are the grasshoppers. The left will be silent trying to figure out a way to blame Bush even though China is plowing forward without a care what the environmentalists say.

All jokes aside, it is amazing to think of the impact China will have in every market.

eg8r

Drop1
10-20-2005, 10:58 AM
I spent a lot of time in China in Guandong province. I went back on a job two years ago,and could not believe the growth. I live in Mexico now,and almost everything I see is made in China. I have an idea that no matter where I go in the world China is going to have hands on the consumer goods. Its time for the United States to wake up and work with the rest of the world, including China to make this a better world for our grand kids. I have two,how aboutyou? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

theinel
10-21-2005, 01:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> ...all we will hear are the grasshoppers...<hr /></blockquote>
Not my favorite sound but I suspect that I would enjoy it more than the sound of some of your posts /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r
10-21-2005, 04:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not my favorite sound but I suspect that I would enjoy it more than the sound of some of your posts /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote> Well, I guess if my wording was as clever and well thought out as those you have provided above, the noise in your head would not ring so loudly.

Nevermind all that, you were not creative nor funny. The sound in my posts in which you do not like is called, CONVICTION. You know it was true and you just can't stand it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

DickLeonard
10-21-2005, 05:37 AM
Eg8r, I am trying to think of the saying from the Manchurian Canadate.####

theinel
10-21-2005, 12:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Not my favorite sound but I suspect that I would enjoy it more than the sound of some of your posts /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote> Well, I guess if my wording was as clever and well thought out as those you have provided above, the noise in your head would not ring so loudly.

Nevermind all that, you were not creative nor funny. The sound in my posts in which you do not like is called, CONVICTION. You know it was true and you just can't stand it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>
Way to go eg8r! Attack! Attack!