PDA

View Full Version : Own a 9' table....best way to practice?

TouchUps
10-21-2005, 05:39 PM
I just got a table put in the basement (4 1/2X9). I was wondering what the best/most affective practice techniques are. More specifically......Is breaking a rack of 9 ball and practice running out good practice? Will that improve your game or are drills the way to go? By the way, I am rated a "6" here at the local level (for what thats worth). I have the fundamentals down and can get on some streaks now and then, but I am trying to get more consistant. I get so frustrated when I lose to people I really should NOT lose to. The reason I lose is lack of consistancy. I have a terrible problem with running most of the rack and than miss something stupid or hang the 7,8, or 9 and lose. I was hoping to improve my game on the "sly" at home.
Thanks in advance. Great forum by the way.
Thanks Again,

Touch-Ups

Get_A_Grip
10-22-2005, 04:51 AM
Here is one way that I just found, but I haven't tried it yet myself...

[9 ball]

Put the 7-8 & 9 ball on the table....just spread them out. Make sure there are no problem areas (tied up balls)

Take cue ball in hand.

Try to run the table.

Keep a running count till you reach 100 games.

If you can run out 85% of the time, add one ball (the 6) and try another 100 games.

If you run out between 84-70 times, try again.

If you run 69 or less, take away one ball (the 7).

If you make ANY mistakes, and I mean ANY....miscue, scratch, etc, that rack is through.

This drill is the best drill there is for practice with yourself.

--------------------------------------------------------
What I typically do because I've been lazy, is to spread out all 15 balls, making sure that I put around 2 balls on the rail.

I then put the cue ball somewhere in the middle of the table and attempt to run out either the solids or the stripes, then sink the 8 ball. Then I put the 8-ball back on the table somewhere near a short rail, and run out the other balls and the 8-ball.

While I'm doing this, I pretend (in my mind) that I'm playing a great player, and that I must runout to win. If I run out the first set of balls, I pretend that my opponent made all of his/her balls and missed the 8-ball.

The best I've done is to run out both sets of balls three times and missed somewhere in my fourth set of 15 balls.

(Only problem with this...you must practice your break shot on it's own--or your break will really suffer). Good Luck to You.

SplinterHands
10-22-2005, 05:08 AM
Play the ghost. It puts pressure on you in a practice situation. Playing straight pool won't hurt, either.

TouchUps
10-22-2005, 06:02 PM
I was doing some searching about consistency in the game and the "monk" says if you are having that problem it can be traced back to fundamentals and sound knowledge of the 4 strokes. So....I guess I will reavaluate that area and do some of his drills for a while and see if that helps.

Scott Lee
10-22-2005, 09:48 PM
TouchUps...You're correct about tracing problems back to fundamentals. The only problem with the Monk's stuff, is that there are NOT 4 strokes...there's only ONE! IMO, if you want to improve "on the sly", the best way is to have a professional instructor work with you, on your home table, for at least one two-hour lesson...and make sure the lesson is videotaped. Then practice what he/she shows you, which is recorded on the videotape (so you can watch it again, several times, over the next few months).

Scott Lee

Scott Lee
10-22-2005, 10:14 PM
Get-A-Grip...I agree that the 3-ball runout is an excellent drill. Here's how we teach it...slightly different from what you're doing, but reinforcing certain patterns that create easy runouts. Take any three balls, and throw them on the table. Take ball in hand, and run out in rotation. The clincher is that you MUST get easy on both of the last two shots. Just being able to make the shot doesn't count. It has to be easy...or it doesn't count. When you can execute this 15 out of 20 tries, add a 4th ball. When you can execute this 15 out of 20 tries, add a fifth ball.
Remember, after taking ball in hand on the first ball, you must get easy on both of the next two shots, or it doesn't count. This is, without question, the most practical skill exercise, that you can do alone, for the greatest benefit.
However, your pre-shot routine and stroke have to be excellent first, to be able to really utilize this drill for the most gain.

Certainly nothing wrong with your 100 racks concept, with the exception of input overload. Most people don't have the attention span necessary to practice a hundred racks. However, you're playing runout, no matter what leave you get...which is how you probably play under pressure, and also what can often lead to mistakes...you're shooting at everything, aggressively.

If you force yourself to play the shot correctly, over and over, you can't help but improve. Just shooting balls in, no matter how difficult, with no accomplished stroke, will generally result in inconsistency.

Scott Lee

Ronoh
10-22-2005, 11:24 PM
These are some of the drills I set up and practice. Use the Wei table (http://onepocket.org/table/pooltable2.html) to follow what I mean.

Goals:
All balls are frozen to the rail.
All balls that are frozen, must travel down a rail to a corner pocket.
Other three balls are obsticles.
You start where the cue ball is.
Pick you're own route.
Can't hit any balls except when pocketing it.
If you do hit a ball, the table is reset and you start over.
Pocket last three remaining balls once all rail shots are complete, in any pocket.
If you miss at anytime, reset the table.

START(
%AU3D0%BC7I2%CN9O5%DH6[0%EH8D0%Fs0H8%Gn0C9%HU3Z9%IC9V0%Ja6C9
%Km7Z9%Lg7O5%Mr9V0%Na5Z9%O[8O7%PZ3O7
)END

Goals:
Use cue ball to set object balls (1) ball length away from the rail.
Balls should be 1.5 ball distance away from the corner pockets and from each other.
Place cue ball for each shot perpendicular to the rail, and the ball, before each shot.
Pick a corner and shoot all balls to that corner, per rail.
Set it up again and shoot to the side pocket.

START(
%AT9Z2%BR4Z1%CM2Z1%DH1Z1%EO8Z0%Fp0Z1%Gm0Z1%HJ7Z2%I F0Z1%J^4Z0
%Kd5Z1%Lg4Z1%Mj0Z1%Na6Z0%OW5Z2%P^7P7
)END

Goals:
Set is same as before, except down the middle of the table, and 1.5 ball lengths away from the short rails.

START(
%AV3O4%BS6O5%CM9O5%DH3O5%EP9O4%Fp5O5%Gn0O5%HK1O5%I E8O4%J`7O7
%Ke8O4%Lh5O4%Mk4O4%Nc2O5%OX7O4%PE8X2
)END

Goals:
Best played with 2 or more people.
Set up a 9 ball rack in the middle of the table. (9-ball should lay at center of table)
Set up the 10-15 balls in the center of the pockets, and on the frindge of falling in.
From behind the kitchen string, your first stoke is your own. Pick any ball(s) to start with.
All future "frindge" shots are called by your oppent, until all are down.
(EDIT) You can't touch any balls in the rack until the "frindge" balls are down.
Then, you get free rein at the 9-ball rack. Must strike the 1 first, just like in a normal game of 9 ball.
You have 9 strokes (including the break stroke) to clear all nine balls.
If you miss any, reset the table and start over with next in coming player.
This game is usually played as a ring game, usually a dollar a round (until you get good at it). When completed, and everyone that round had a shot at it, if 2 or more winners, they split the pot.
It's also good practice solo.
This game is sometimes refered to as French Pool.

START(
%A^3O3%B]1N4%C]0O9%D[7P5%E[9M6%FZ5O8%GZ5N6%HY3O3%I[8O1%Js0Z9
%K[4D3%L[3Z8%MC9D0%Ns1C6%OC8[1%Pj6O4
)END

Goals:
Setup of object balls one(1) cue ball's distance away from the short rails, and 1.5 ball distance from each other starting at a coner pocket.
Start with cue ball on the disecting line that goes between the side pockets.
Line up cue ball to an object ball, so that the attack angle is perpendicular to the ball and the rail.
First ball stuck will be the center ball of either short rail you start with.
Pick one corner pocket that the full set that's lying on a rail will go to.
Any shot missed, reset, and start over.
Progressivly move your line of balls 1/2 diamond, unil you reach the 1/2 diamond from center pocket.

START(
%Aq9F5%Bq9I2%Cq9L2%Dq9S7%Eq8N8%Fq9V0%Gr2X5%HE3F9%I q9Q1%JE2M1
%KE0S0%LE1P1%MD9U9%NE2I9%OD8X6%P[3P0
)END

Goals:
Set up balls at the center of each pocket, on the "frindge".
Make all 6 balls with the cue ball starting at the head spot.
All shots are 2 rail kicks.
When you make all 6 without missing, reset table and start at the center of the table with cue ball. Then move onto the foot spot.
Any miss, start over.
Try this doing all 3 rail shots too.

START(
%Js1Z9%K[2[1%L[4D1%MC9C9%Ns2C8%OC7[1%P[3P0

)END

Hope these help.

ceebee
10-23-2005, 08:28 AM
I like doing drills first, to mentally learn certain shots that come up. I also practice shooting 2 & 3 railers with the cue ball, to practice the diamond system. Then I try some of the shots in Ray Martins book or the TARGET POOL book, to work on my speed. Then I'll tackle the ghost. I try to do these things one day at a time, then return to the drills & start over. Mixing up my format reduces the monotony that practice sometimes gives up.

TouchUps
10-23-2005, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the replies. I would love to have a pro instructor over my shoulder. I am in Jonesboro, AR (NE part of AR). Do you guys know of any around here?