PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if this happened to you?

cueball1950
10-22-2005, 05:54 PM
. While my wife is taking a nap i thought i would ask this. Now remember, this is a Hypothetical situation and question.
Let say you are a successful professional tour promoter and you find out that another professional pool tour promoter is trying to worm their way in to your most successful venue. What would you do. Would you just ignore it or would you call this other promoter and ask them what the heck they are trying/doing and to please back off. or is their some other option you would take??? And thanks for all your concern and im's about my wife and her health. she is just taking everyday as it comes...............mike

dg-in-centralpa
10-22-2005, 07:13 PM
Mike,
Let's say that promoter MZ is very successful and has run a tour for many years. If newcomer CW wants to promote at the same place, MZ should book his far enough in advance so that CW can't hurt him. Unfortunately, promoter CW can't be forced to stay away as long as he rents the venue. If promoter CW tries to slander promoter MZ, then there is a problem, but that would be for the courts.
Different subject - are you going to the Breeders Cup this week? I'll be at my local track all day. One of these days I'll get to Saratoga.

DG

randyg
10-23-2005, 05:09 AM
Happens quite often.

In the highlight years of the National(McDermott)9-ball Tour, many copy cats started their own venues. I think it kept us honest and supplied more action for the players.

On the other hand, when the copy cats approached our active rooms we chatted with them immediately.

I just had an out-of-state promoter try to steal one of my tournaments from underneath me. The venue told them very politely...NO. I was not so polite in my discussion of ethics with them. I'm quite sure they understood my irate.

Promoters and room owners alike have to prepare for these events weeks(year)in advance. It's real easy to run a tournament that someone else has done all the leg work on.

I was just at the Vikings Tour Stop in Duluth, Ga. The Pool Room was all set up and ready for the event. The manager (Diane) had been working double time in anticipation of providing a perfect venue for the players and the promoter. Extra food, bar and staff where all on hand.

Let the new promoters find their own venue. Let them cross check their dates with all other parties. We all win.

Randy Goettlicher
Co-Partner
Texas Express 9-Ball Group

onepocketchump
10-23-2005, 01:23 PM
In other industries promoters lock up their venues with contracts. In the pool world, tournaments in pool rooms are generally done by handshake.

I personally do not think it unethical for a competing promoter to "try" for spots and dates that other promoters already have. That's what competition is all about. What could be unethical is the methods used to attempt to wrest the business away.

Service, trust and friendship are the most important qualities that a promoter must have in the billiard industry. These things are what keeps poolrooms loyal.

Another thing that I feel would be a HUGE help would be a clearinghouse for dates. It would be a great benefit to everyone concerned, promoters, players, and room owners, if the various tours would get together and agree as best possible on dates and geography.

I would go and play pool in tournaments just about every weekend within a hundred and fifty mile radius (about two hours drive) if I could depend on a good tournament. Right now though I don't see that any tour can accurately predict participation and payouts.

And I don't have the answers. I have several suggestions as to how to guarantee participation but I doubt that those suggestions can ever take root due to the limited amount of cooperation that exists in the billiard world.

John

Snapshot9
10-23-2005, 01:48 PM
What do you mean bv venues? Are these Pool rooms, or
a separate place rented for an event? If a Pool room,
then the owner of the Pool room decides who he will host
or not. I do not think a Pool room has to be exclusive
to 1 tour unless there is a written agreement stating
that. Other than that, the quality and quantity of the event, and the payouts will determine who survives or not.

onepocketchump
10-23-2005, 01:57 PM
A venue is a place where an event is held. A poolroom, a moose lodge, a banquet hall, wherever.

I don't think a poolroom has to be tied to one tour. I know several rooms that successfully host tournaments put on by several different tours.

John

Deeman3
10-23-2005, 05:21 PM
I think MZ should not have to worry about CW types stealing their hard earned venues, but short of sending Tony Soprano after him, there's not a lot you can do. I would hope the hard work of MZ in the past should mean something to the owners of the venue....

Deeman

jjinfla
10-24-2005, 06:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Mike,
Let's say that promoter MZ is very successful and has run a tour for many years. If newcomer CW wants to promote at the same place, MZ should book his far enough in advance so that CW can't hurt him. Unfortunately, promoter CW can't be forced to stay away as long as he rents the venue. If promoter CW tries to slander promoter MZ, then there is a problem, but that would be for the courts.
Different subject - are you going to the Breeders Cup this week? I'll be at my local track all day. One of these days I'll get to Saratoga.

DG <hr /></blockquote>

Mike Zuglan - Charlie Williams?

Hey, this is America. Free enterprise and Capitalism. It happens all the time. All you can do is offer a better deal then your competition.

Jake

Fran Crimi
10-24-2005, 07:36 AM
If it happened to me, I wouldn't bother talking to the other promoter. He's already made his intentions clear. I'd focus 100% on the owner of the venue, especially if he adds money to my event. I've seen this happen before where the owner of a venue agreed to have both events, and then eventually had to decide between the two because he realized he couldn't afford to add money to both events. I'd sit down with the owner and try to figure out a way to make my event bigger and better so he wouldn't feel any need to even entertain the ideas of the promoter trying to move in.

Fran