PDA

View Full Version : Hal Houle

Nostalgia
10-23-2005, 06:15 PM
I attempted to respond to your PM, but the board reports you don't accept them. So you don't accept PMs, but apparently feel it your duty to send SPAM PMs to me. All right. I don't like to take private messages public, but I don't appear to have a choice. I'll keep it general in an attempt to at least show some tact. Take notes.

So here's my reply: Keep your drivel about your "aiming systems" to yourself. To imply that a professional pool player and teacher is somehow lacking because he or she doesn't "have an aiming system" is presumptuous, childish and stupid. And to send a private message to someone you don't even know to do something so idiotic boggles my mind. Do you honestly believe deriding someone I respect will get me to believe in your evangelism?

Unfortunately, I've read a great many of your posts. They're usually negative, frequently combative, and not once have any of them added anything useful to a conversation. All you seem to want to do is deride others for having different ideas from you.

I refuse to associate or deal with that kind of person. Through your posts, you've proven to me that there is no value to me for anything you may type in the future. Good luck with your mysterious "system." Please let us know when we can expect to see you on the Pro tour. I'll get my VCR ready.

-Joe

recoveryjones
10-25-2005, 12:29 AM
Hal sends me PM's from time to time as well.Usually, I have a good laugh after I read them.
It seems like he may be giving me [censored], however, deep down he just want's people to learn how to aim. He has some awesome info.

Talk to him on the phone and you will find that he is a
very nice and very interesting man. He sincerley wants the average recreational player to shoot good pool and learn how to aim.

His fight isn't with the average Joe....it's with the teachers( eg.not all teachers) who teach you everything EXCEPT how to aim.
RJ

ps. When I say aim, I don't mean the Ghost Ball method, which is totally useless compared to what Hal can teach you.

randyg
10-25-2005, 05:02 AM
Well said RJ

Fran Crimi
10-25-2005, 06:10 AM
You wouldn't be saying 'well said' if you were the teacher Hal was panning. I think you'd be pretty mad about it, Randy.

HALHOULE
10-25-2005, 06:37 AM
WELL, YOU SURE MADE ME FEEL GOOD ABOUT GOING INTO THE PRO RANKS. I REALLY DO APPRECIATE YOUR CONFIDENCE IN ME. THAT WAS A NOBLE GESTURE ON YOUR PART. YOU TOOK THE TIME TO GIVE ME A NICE WARM AND FUZZY FEELING, DON'T YOU KNOW. YOU PROBABLY HAVE A VERY BUSY AND TIGHT SCHEDULE, AND YET YOU GRACIOUSLY TOOK ALL THAT TYPING TIME TO WISH ME WELL. WHAT A GUY!

BEST WISHES

HAL

HALHOULE
10-25-2005, 06:52 AM
I HAVE A KNACK OF GETTING PESTY POSTERS KNICKERS IN A KNOT. PRETTY PLEASE FORGIVE OR FORGET. I THINK.

Nostalgia
10-25-2005, 06:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> Well said RJ <hr /></blockquote>

So you folks think it's OK to deride people in public forums, send unsolicited PMs insulting someone's teacher, refuse to accept incoming PMs, and just be a general jerk to anyone who doesn't jump on his bandwagon, all because his system works?

You may feel that way, but I guess I was brought up a little differently. Mr. Houle has proven himself, by his caustic words and actions, to be someone I have no desire to learn anything from.

Take his response to my original post, for example. Rather than explain himself, or apologize for insulting my instructor, or any sort of adult response, HE SIMPLY CHOOSES TO POST A SARCASTIC REPLY AND IGNORE EVERYTHING IN MY POST.

But hey, let him go at it. The more he posts, the fewer people will take him seriously. I may never get to the pro tour, and I'm fine with that. At least I have some class.

-Joe

HALHOULE
10-25-2005, 07:05 AM
WHAT CLASS

Nostalgia
10-25-2005, 07:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HALHOULE:</font><hr> WHAT CLASS <hr /></blockquote>
Keep proving me right, friend. You're my best ally in this argument. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Joe

Stretch
10-25-2005, 08:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostalgia:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote HALHOULE:</font><hr> WHAT CLASS <hr /></blockquote>
Keep proving me right, friend. You're my best ally in this argument. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Joe <hr /></blockquote>

For wut it's worth, i'm on your side Joe. It dosn't even matter at this point whether Hal's (unexplainable) system has merit or not. There are dozens of other techniques that serve the same end.......without the BS. He didn't invent the wheel here. I don't think people in general give THEMSELVES enough credit for what comes naturaly with practice and dedication. If one stops and simply observes, adjusts, and adapts while picking up key points to guide thier efforts they will do just fine. St

rukiddingme
10-25-2005, 11:28 AM
If you don't want to read a PM from Mr. Houle, or anybody else for that matter, DON'T. Just check DELETE right next to the PM in question submit and VOILA...Mr. Houle's PM is gone.
For those who don't want to take Hal up on exploring his systems DON'T do it.
I guess what some people don't realize is that MANY Pros and teachers use Hal's systems but keep that info for themselves keeping us amateurs in awe, yearning to be able to do some of the things they can... like pocketing balls with such ease...radical cuts, complicated banks and the like... but never sharing the "secret" of AIMING.
Hal is willing to share it for FREE...oh, what fools we can be...
ruk

wolfdancer
10-25-2005, 11:57 AM
I agree. Hal can get a little cantankerous at times, but he does have some useful info to share, and it's for free.
He's a very pleasant man,with a good sense of humor, on the telephone. I say this, and I'm presently on his s**t list.
The much heralded (here, at least) S.A.M....taught at RandyG's school for wayward pool players, is an offshoot of one of Hal's systems.
Rather then another "shouting match" with Hal on the forum, just delete what you find offensive, and move on.

Sid_Vicious
10-25-2005, 12:18 PM
Same thing I've said forever...simply ignore opening or reading anything from anybody you choose not to care for. I agree, many of those selling their lessons, be it schools or individuals, have already plagarized Hal, and won't at least share the info. Trashy excuses of people to give Hal sh!t while stealing his knowledge all along...sid

Nostalgia
10-25-2005, 12:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rukiddingme:</font><hr>Are you worthy?<hr /></blockquote>

Apparently not. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I guess I was more right about evangelism than I thought.

-Joe

silverbullet
10-25-2005, 03:31 PM
Still have not figured out the purpose of this thread cept maybe to flame an 81 year old man who gives his aiming systems away for free. Who knows if the rest of us will even be around by that age much less remember anything. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Laura

wolfdancer
10-25-2005, 03:55 PM
Kudos!!!

DebraLiStarr
10-25-2005, 08:22 PM
Mr Nostalgia,

You have to understand that even though HAL can come across as a goofy crusty old fart (in his posts) we all love him very much around here and consider him part of our family - sort of like a drunk uncle we hide in the attic. From time to time, HAL will send out a private message or 2 (okay .. maybe more than 2) but HAL is always doing so in an attempt to share his knowledge for FREE even if his methods are a bit peculiar and annoying.

We love HAL so much, that Wendy (9ballgirl) and I are planning to have a fight to the death in a vat of jello chocolate pudding and the winner gets a date with...
HAL HOULE!!!!

Now dammit, any guy thats in his 80's that can have us girls killing each other in a vat of jello chocolate pudding just so that we can earn the chance to spend some precious time with him.... well I think he's got to be pretty damn special.

You Mr. Nostalgia, need to learn to appreciate your elders and you also need to take advantage of the opportunity to learn from one of the most knowledgable instructors on the subject of aiming. Perhaps someday you'll live as long as Hal (You probably won't know or learn half as much as HAL) and I can bet that when you're 81 or 82 - nobody will be fighting over YOU in a vat full of jello chocolate pudding!You just ain't gots it the way that HAL gots it!

I will now gracefuly return to my exile in the NPR forum.

Good Day

Nostalgia
10-25-2005, 09:20 PM
Jesus-jumped-up-Christ on a pony. Look people, all I'm trying to say is I don't believe a person should be allowed to be an ass to other people, insult people for no reason, not to mention acting childish when someone calls him out on it, just because he's old, or just because he's got a system. You people are making him out to be a saint. I've yet to hear Hal speak for himself; all he's done is make childish, sarcastic comments that have nothing to do with anything. Instead, his disciples have come out of the woodwork to attack me.

Anyway, that's it, I'm done. Thanks. Have fun. See you in the funny papers. Feel free to continue attacking me and/or defending Hal.

-Joe

wolfdancer
10-25-2005, 10:11 PM
Joe, I don't think anyone was attacking you....folks here just cut Hal some slack. He's a little ornery, and a little confrontational, ( meaner then a junk yard dog)...In person though,while he's the same, it's done with a smile. you would probably like him, if you ever met.

Cane
10-25-2005, 10:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostalgia:</font><hr> &lt;snip&gt; just because he's got a system. &lt;snip&gt; <hr /></blockquote>

Well, Actually, he has, if memory serves, 23 aiming systems.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostalgia:</font><hr> Instead, his disciples have come out of the woodwork to attack me. <hr /></blockquote>

I'm not going to attack you, but I do like Hal, very much and consider him a long distance friend. I've learned a lot in our hundreds of hours of conversation, not only about playing pool, but about pool history. He can PM me anytime he wants.

Later,
Bob

DebraLiStarr
10-25-2005, 10:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostalgia:</font><hr> Jesus-jumped-up-Christ on a pony. Look people, all I'm trying to say is I don't believe a person should be allowed to be an ass to other people, insult people for no reason, not to mention acting childish when someone calls him out on it, just because he's old, or just because he's got a system. You people are making him out to be a saint. I've yet to hear Hal speak for himself; all he's done is make childish, sarcastic comments that have nothing to do with anything. Instead, his disciples have come out of the woodwork to attack me.

Anyway, that's it, I'm done. Thanks. Have fun. See you in the funny papers. Feel free to continue attacking me and/or defending Hal.

-Joe <hr /></blockquote>
Jesus on a pony?
You don't have to be like that.

Wait let me say this out loud...
Ahem....
"Saint HAL - Patron Saint of the Aiming System"

I like it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Mr. Nostalgia, you are going to have to understand that though HAL is the way that he is, he has our respect and his knowledge is priceless. HAL is NOT an ass, he just comes across that way on the internet. My posts are smart-assy for entertainment purposes only,I'm not being disrespectful -I am not attacking you- and I am not one of HAL's disciples - really. Try to realize that while HAL is still here - and while girls are still fighting over him in vats of jello pudding- you should take advantage of the opportunity to tap into HAL's thick head full of knowledge. You just might be surprised at what you will learn. At 82, chances are that HAL won't be around much longer to teach his aiming system (or to annoy you) - so call him - talk to him - then come back and post about how nice he is like everybody else has done. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif What could it hurt? You might even become friends with him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif You never know.

Rich R.
10-26-2005, 03:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DebraLiStarr:</font><hr> Wendy (9ballgirl) and I are planning to have a fight to the death in a vat of jello chocolate pudding and the winner gets a date with...
HAL HOULE!!!!<hr /></blockquote>
When do tickets go on sale? I will take a VIP seat, in the front row. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

dg-in-centralpa
10-26-2005, 04:30 AM
Will you bring your camers? I'd love some pics from this!

DG = dirty old man

catscradle
10-26-2005, 04:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DebraLiStarr:</font><hr> ... that Wendy (9ballgirl) and I are planning to have a fight to the death in a vat of jello chocolate pudding ...
Good Day <hr /></blockquote>

Can I watch?????

randyg
10-26-2005, 05:19 AM
I have a video Cam...randyg

PQQLK9
10-26-2005, 05:26 AM
Hey Joe, at least you didn't call Hal a "Jerk" like you called me.

Just another Hal groupie.

wolfdancer
10-26-2005, 06:23 AM
Sorry, no cameras allowed, and no voyeurs either. This event is only for dedicated, hard core, jello chocolate pudding, women's wrestling fans, and is not meant to appeal to the prurient interest of the casual spectator.
That said let's get it on (http://www.letsrumble.com/)

9 Ball Girl
10-26-2005, 07:20 AM
If you have to bring kids that we'll have to switch to gelatin. Because there's always room for jell-o. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quick joke and totally off-topic although the thread has been hijacked:

Q. What do women and gelatin have in common?
A. They both quiver when you eat 'em.

wolfdancer
10-26-2005, 08:00 AM
I think I'm now guilty of a thoughtcrime...
you sure this is about pool?...
Let's hope kids ain't readin' all this

Candyman
10-26-2005, 09:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> If you have to bring kids that we'll have to switch to gelatin. Because there's always room for jell-o. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quick joke and totally off-topic although the thread has been hijacked:

Q. What do women and gelatin have in common?
A. They both quiver when you eat 'em. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="red"> </font color> DAAAMN <font color="red"> </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

dg-in-centralpa
10-26-2005, 09:32 AM
I don't have to think... I know I'm guilty. Ahhh the mental picture I'm getting. Sheesh I can't work like this.

DG

rukiddingme
10-26-2005, 12:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DebraLiStarr:</font><hr> Mr Nostalgia,

You have to understand that even though HAL can come across as a goofy crusty old fart (in his posts) we all love him very much around here and consider him part of our family - sort of like a drunk uncle we hide in the attic. From time to time, HAL will send out a private message or 2 (okay .. maybe more than 2) but HAL is always doing so in an attempt to share his knowledge for FREE even if his methods are a bit peculiar and annoying.

We love HAL so much, that Wendy (9ballgirl) and I are planning to have a fight to the death in a vat of jello chocolate pudding and the winner gets a date with...
HAL HOULE!!!!

Now dammit, any guy thats in his 80's that can have us girls killing each other in a vat of jello chocolate pudding just so that we can earn the chance to spend some precious time with him.... well I think he's got to be pretty damn special.

You Mr. Nostalgia, need to learn to appreciate your elders and you also need to take advantage of the opportunity to learn from one of the most knowledgable instructors on the subject of aiming. Perhaps someday you'll live as long as Hal (You probably won't know or learn half as much as HAL) and I can bet that when you're 81 or 82 - nobody will be fighting over YOU in a vat full of jello chocolate pudding!Y

Good Day <hr /></blockquote>

W O W...and I thought I was Hal's special student. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
How can I compete with JELLO chocolate pudding wrestling?...We never talk about stuff like that! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
I'm just going to have to give him a call and ask for Sonia...At 82 he knows that "hell has no fury like a woman scorned"... /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
ruk

wolfdancer
10-26-2005, 01:06 PM
what's second prize?....a date with nAz?

DebraLiStarr
10-26-2005, 04:58 PM
Wait a second guys... Marissa was the one that put this sexual slant on the jello pudding wrestling thing with Wendy. If she's looking for love - that's her own business. For me, this is strictly business, right Wendy? Listen up you "B" word, when I beat you and win the date with HALHOULE (HAL who? HALHOULE!!! HAL who? HALHOULE!!!)you will see why they call me the Black Death Bytch of Doom!!!!!!

DebraLiStarr
10-26-2005, 05:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> what's second prize?....a date with nAz? <hr /></blockquote>

There is no 2nd place - The loser gets this:

http://fastlarrypool.com/images/dvdseries/DVD_FakeCase.gif

Barbara
10-26-2005, 05:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rukiddingme:</font><hr>
W O W...and I thought I was Hal's special student. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
How can I compete with JELLO chocolate pudding wrestling?...We never talk about stuff like that! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
I'm just going to have to give him a call and ask for Sonia...At 82 he knows that "hell has no fury like a woman scorned"... /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
ruk <hr /></blockquote>

Hey RUK! I think I'm just going to call him up and take a CCBer or two with me to the Scranton area!

I wouldn't mind learning a thing or two, I just have to work out the weekend date.

Barbara

wolfdancer
10-26-2005, 05:18 PM
you mean she might be looking for love, in all the wrong places?
Say, I'll wrestle both of you for that Fast Larry Trick shot book.....I'm rebuilding my library after the fire, that destroyed my entire collection....both books burnt to a crisp, and i hadn't even colored in them yet.

9 Ball Girl
10-26-2005, 06:25 PM
Ok you BDBofD word, just remember, no scratching, punching, or pulling of hair (actually, it'll be a weave for extreme hair whipping). Just nibbling.
http://members.fortunecity.com/dbard/smile4.gif

HALHOULE
03-10-2006, 03:43 AM
You are defintely not on my shiit list

catscradle
03-10-2006, 10:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DebraLiStarr:</font><hr> ... that Wendy (9ballgirl) and I are planning to have a fight to the death in a vat of jello chocolate pudding ... <hr /></blockquote>

Promises, promises.

Gayle in MD
03-10-2006, 02:00 PM
Hi Joe,
How's it going? I just have this to add. You know, I met you, and really liked you. I just want to say, I have had lessons from Scott Lee, who was the first to get hold of me, and he taught me a great deal, FABULOUS! Fran managed some time with me in New York, when you and I were there for the Workshop, what a BLAST! Fran helped me with some problems I was having, FABULOUS! I have been talking with Hal for years, on the phone, and I love our talks. I am using his aiming system as best I can, having never had time with him in person, all I can say is this, IT WORKS! I am looking forward to going to Pennsylvania to get some person to person with Hal.

There are some local teachers in my area, and people I speak with do get very frustrated with teachers who do not address aiming, and also with teachers who refuse to address certain aspects of pool unless you demonstrate a perfect stroke. Afterall, people enjoy working on all aspects of pool, and should have their questions, or their preferred target areas addressed if they so wish. I think Hal doesn't get enough credit for spreading solid, tried and true, methods for aiming, and also, I don't think those who use his system give him enough credit, especially when some of them charge a fortune to teach you what Hal is willing to teach you for free.

Hal has a great personality when you get to know him, and understand his humor. The last time he called me I wasn't here, and Jim, my husband, had a wonderful time talking with Hal.

Anyone who loves this game so much, that at eighty something years old, they are still giving free lessons to people who want to improve, has my admiration. I don't know what goes on between you and Hal, but I hope you and I both get to meet him sometime. I think you might see this in a different light, if you got to know him better...

Hope all is well Joe, and I hope to see you again sometime...
I have great appreciation and respect for all my teachers, and friends, who have helped me Improve.

Love,
Gayle

Fran Crimi
03-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Gayle,

Joe hasn't posted here in nearly 5 months. Look at the date of his post.

Fran

Gayle in MD
03-11-2006, 07:02 AM
Thanks Fran,

I heard from him this morning...., as you know, I usually don't post in the summer, and don't check each date, but Joe did get my post.

Love,
Gayle

Voodoo Daddy
03-11-2006, 10:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostalgia:</font><hr> Jesus-jumped-up-Christ on a pony. Look people, all I'm trying to say is I don't believe a person should be allowed to be an ass to other people, insult people for no reason, not to mention acting childish when someone calls him out on it, just because he's old, or just because he's got a system. You people are making him out to be a saint. I've yet to hear Hal speak for himself; all he's done is make childish, sarcastic comments that have nothing to do with anything. Instead, his disciples have come out of the woodwork to attack me.

-Joe <hr /></blockquote>

I'm on your side here Joe. This man has no bad intentions but he is a pain in the ass. Furthermore...if you look back far enuff I did what you did...

HAL...leave us alone, open your PM's and wait for someone to ASK for your opinion instead of sending it to people that DONT want it.