PDA

View Full Version : Practice time and drills

dareads
10-25-2005, 12:00 PM
I was wondering what most people consider an adequate amount of time to spend each week to get the full effect of practicing. I spend about 3-5 hours a week practicing. I am just wondering if that is actually enough time to get better, or if it is just enough to keep the rust off with maybe some minor improvements. Also, do you recommend doing drills or playing simulated games to improve skill?

tjlmbklr
10-25-2005, 12:15 PM
I am by no means a "A" level player but I do know that practice makes perfect. If you are like me you should start with the basics and the root of your problem like stroke, simple drills like hitting the cue ball down the table and making it return to your tip of the cue. If you cannot do this simple drill 9 out of 10 times then you need to find the root of that problem. I myself hate drills and know I will, or should I say would be a better player if I just do them. A great book for drills is "the easy pool tutor" it is a PDF file the you will have to print on your own. It is 411 pages of useful and fun drills and tips.

http://www.easypooltutor.com/

randyg
10-25-2005, 01:18 PM
For most normal people we find that 20-30 minutes per day is better than 2-3 hours per day.

For most professional athletes they spend about 90% of their time in a practice mode.

It's very hard to practice a routine for a long stretch of time. Short spurts seem to be the answer for most....Thanks, POOL SCHOOL

dareads
10-25-2005, 02:43 PM
So does that mean that you recommend practicing drills or just playing? I think that a mixture of just playing simulated games and then drills would work well. It would still allow it to be fun while improving skills.

tjlmbklr
10-25-2005, 03:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dareads:</font><hr> So does that mean that you recommend practicing drills or just playing? I think that a mixture of just playing simulated games and then drills would work well. It would still allow it to be fun while improving skills. <hr /></blockquote>

I prefer simulated games, or what I call multiple personality pool. Or a beter practice drill that is also a game is put 7 balls solid or stripe on table and 8 ball, and run them without missing. If you miss you lose, then once you can consistantly run them then try tying one or two balls up to make it more complicated.

Bob_Jewett
10-25-2005, 04:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dareads:</font><hr> So does that mean that you recommend practicing drills or just playing? I think that a mixture of just playing simulated games and then drills would work well. It would still allow it to be fun while improving skills. <hr /></blockquote>
If you can't pay attention for more than 10 minutes when practicing, do something else when your attention wanders. I used to be able to practice for hours without losing interest, but that's rarer these days.

One thing that Bob Fancher recommends in his book about pool psychology it to work on only one thing at a time. That is, if you're trying to learn drawing to an exact distance, work on just that for a week during the time you are doing drills.

There are some fun drills you can try. Proposition shots often fit this.