PDA

View Full Version : Natural Angle Overkill

Stretch
10-27-2005, 05:01 PM
Hi all, just thought i'd share some of my unscientific findings on todays banking practice. I needed a good bank workout today just because.........

Anyway i was setting up cross-sides and cross corners with the ob just off the rail. These are tricky because when the ob is touching or just off the rail they react very differently than ob's that are some distance away. In short, they always seem to come up short of the pocket, or at a narrower angle than u would expect.

In the past, knowing that these shot's needed to be slightly overcut to make, i would line up and aim them up to the overcut angle. Results, were often spoty at best. UNTILL.....

I started aiming them up on the natural angle but useing a lot of outside spin to open up the angle and compensate for the ob's tendancy to bank short. When i started to get the hang of my slightly altered perception of these shots, they started to rain down the pockets! I gave it a new name ( i like naming shots ) I call it my "natural angle overkill bank". When the ob is jamed on the rail, i just line it up o- natural but on the exicution stroke i overkill the angle. I tell u i was banking them down from everywhere this way, nice and crisp too.

I'm sure everyone has thier own little 'things ' they think about or do for certain shots. If these frozen banks got u confuzzeled, u might like to try this. St.

Bob_Jewett
10-27-2005, 07:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> ... Anyway i was setting up cross-sides and cross corners with the ob just off the rail. These are tricky because when the ob is touching or just off the rail they react very differently than ob's that are some distance away. ... <hr /></blockquote>
That's true. A system for banks close to the cushion is explained in

http://www.sfbilliards.com/articles/2004-09.pdf

Also there is a practice trick that allows you to immeidately find the line for any cross-side or cross-corner bank using what you might call the "70% mirror method."

Stretch
10-28-2005, 04:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> ... Anyway i was setting up cross-sides and cross corners with the ob just off the rail. These are tricky because when the ob is touching or just off the rail they react very differently than ob's that are some distance away. ... <hr /></blockquote>
That's true. A system for banks close to the cushion is explained in

http://www.sfbilliards.com/articles/2004-09.pdf

Also there is a practice trick that allows you to immeidately find the line for any cross-side or cross-corner bank using what you might call the "70% mirror method." <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Bob! There's a lot of banking information there. Good stuff to incorperate into my banks practice. St.