PDA

View Full Version : Application question

wolfdancer
10-28-2005, 02:22 PM
I have two old computers that I want to get rid of, donate....but want to erase any personal data from first.
I just dl'd "wipe-clean" to a removable disk drive...
Can I now plug (USB) this in to the older computers, and remove all my personal files, so that they cannot be recovered?
It would be safe then to give the computers away?
Thanks in advance for your help
I also have a KayPro, sans OS, that I thought, maybe some H.S. teacher might just want to have for ????
Are there still copies of that bundled software that came with the computer?
We ran our Teamsters local with this....

Cueless Joey
10-28-2005, 02:57 PM
I'd format both and re-install the OS on them.

sack316
10-29-2005, 03:11 AM
any information is possible to retrieve no matter what once it is written (besides an absolute destruction and burning of your hard drive). In all likelihood you'd never have to worry about it unless you are under investigation for something and computer forensics folks need to look into it. Since you plan to donate it to a H.S. I don't think you have anything to worry about, and doing as Joey instructed should suffice just fine. But then again... those darn kids are so crafty these days... (scary music plays).
Sack

DickLeonard
10-29-2005, 06:51 AM
Wolfdancer, I didn't know your a teamster, Jack Colavita and I were the only union members playing pool at that time. He was in the Machinist and I was a Teamster. ####

wolfdancer
10-29-2005, 10:12 AM
Sack, joey, snake....thanks for your help...!!!!

Fran Crimi
10-29-2005, 12:20 PM
I don't think it's a good idea to cosider a hard drive with personal information as 'reusable.' You could wind up with a nightmare on your hands for doing a good deed. I took the hard drives out of my two old computers and put the rest out near the trash for anyone who wanted the parts. They were gone the next morning. That was a donation, right?

Fran