PDA

View Full Version : the Bank Shot PERFECTOR

ceebee
10-29-2005, 01:36 PM
The "Bank Shot Perfector" is a very inexpensive assistant, which can be used to practice bank shots. I already have a Mic Stand which imitates this tool.

http://www.hawleys.com/bankperfector/BankPerfector.htm

I also like studying the poster titled "The Banks are always open"

http://www.gladiators-usa.com/BSP.htm

While these tools may not help an A Player, they can definitely help the B Player & below... I have certainly enjoyed the use of these tools & my game has benefitted too.

Chopstick
10-30-2005, 06:58 AM
Sorry ceebee, I know you are being serious, but this thing just cracks me up. I would have to paint it like an eyeball and put hair on it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

http://www.hawleys.com/bankperfector/images/3ballextended34.jpg /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The poster looks cool. I might get one and hang it on the wall.

ceebee
10-30-2005, 09:15 AM
Chopstick, a hairy eyeball might cause you to lose concentration on what you are trying to learn. A friggin stick in the air will work.

The whole idea being to learn some "connect the dots" for bank shots. There are lots of players who haven't learned some of these "neato banking secrets". They might think you & I have excellent visualization skills, that enable us to make the bank shots like we do, but we know better.

recoveryjones
10-30-2005, 09:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> The "Bank Shot Perfector" is a very inexpensive assistant, which can be used to practice bank shots. I already have a Mic Stand which imitates this tool.

While these tools may not help an A Player, they can definitely help the B Player &amp; below... I have certainly enjoyed the use of these tools &amp; my game has benefitted too. <hr /></blockquote>

If I took your break rak device to the pool hall, everyone would probably think it's cool.Everyone likes to break and the macho men like to slam them hard.Also racking balls can be very tedious.

If I took that bank shot device to the pool room, I'd be laughed out of the place.I'm sure it is a great teaching tool, but more for those who have a table at home.

That bank shot poster looks very imformative and I may buy it someday.Nick varner who endorses it has studied many systems and kicks and banks with systems, I've read.He is one of the best kickers I've ever seen.Some aquire those skills with feel,as they are very vision oriented, while others need systems.I've recentley aquired Freddy The Beards banking book so I'll want to give that a good read first before committing to the banking poster.

Thanks for the links, much appreciated.
RJ

Sid_Vicious
10-30-2005, 09:42 AM
I've understood the extension of the distance from the rail system almost automatically, but several of my "green" students, especially females(no bias here girls /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif),,,had a hellova time SEEING my lesson that day. I'm not sure what it is in the brain, be it right-hemisphere/left-hemisphere, or if it's simply not having a lot of driving hours on the table, BUT lots of people can not grasp that image of off the table aim point for banks/kicks/3-railers. I would probably own one of these if I was an active instructor, which I admit, I ain't. I bet that you could simplify things a lot for beginners, SL2 players, and some bigger players who have learned this game by hit and miss, by introducing this cheap tool. jm2c...sid

wolfdancer
10-30-2005, 04:46 PM
So I went to the pool hall with my breakrac, sardo rack, elephant balls, rempe training cue, spider, deflexion trainer,bank shot perfector, and wall chart.
Set these all up, and it was only then I realised
I fogot my cue and wallet.

Bob_Jewett
10-30-2005, 08:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> The "Bank Shot Perfector" is a very inexpensive assistant, which can be used to practice bank shots. I already have a Mic Stand which imitates this tool.

... <hr /></blockquote>
The article Hawley's refers to and two other relevant articles are

1996-10 2004-09 2004-07

on http://www.sfbilliards.com/articles/BD_articles.html

As pointed out there, you can also use a padded bar stool, if one is handy.

Most people who think they're using a mirror system would probably be surprised if they actually tried one.

stickman
10-30-2005, 10:03 PM
A stick in the air is just how I do it. After measuring with my stick, I stand my stick up, just like a golfer sighting in his putt. I align the shot from my stick to the cue ball, noting where the ball will hit the rail. The poster might be interesting.

nAz
10-30-2005, 10:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> So I went to the pool hall with my breakrac, sardo rack, elephant balls, rempe training cue, spider, deflexion trainer,bank shot perfector, and wall chart.
Set these all up, and it was only then I realised
I fogot my cue and wallet. <hr /></blockquote>

BWAahhahahaaaaaaa

i like to use a point in the far distance when i bank shots... but i mostly take tough cut shots now so i am not as strong at backing like i use to be.

ceebee
10-31-2005, 08:41 AM
I think every Pool Room should have all these practice tools, for their clientele to rent &amp; use. They should also have the videos for their customers to rent. Rental will make the Pool Room money, just like the Video Store makes money &amp; give their clientele a chance to learn something.

Lots of students are laughed at. I too used to laugh at the kids that studied hard, took art lessons, played in the Band &amp; were active on the Journalism Club. Most of them are somebody today. I guess they were above me &amp; my friends that laughed at them. I found out too late that being laughed at for learning something was far better than being laughed at, because I was lacking in knowledge.

I played pool for 40 years before I ever cracked a book. Now I have a whole library &amp; lots of videos. I have the Rempe Practice Cue Ball, the Aramith Practice Cue Ball, the Elephant balls, the BreakRAK, The Master Rack, The Sardo Rack, The Predator BK, Joe Tucker's Aiming Balls, his Third Eye adaptor, his Break Shot DVD &amp; other items, The Bank Shot Poster &amp; other stuff too.

While all this "STUFF" may not assist me in being a better player, I use it well to make other players play better. (Hell I'm just an old man, that can't see anymore, who likes to drink whiskey &amp; play Ring Games).

I believe in learning something, if possible. If my posts seem like a mandate, they are not, they are just suggestions &amp; my experiences. I'm just trying to help my fellow Pool Players enjoy the game more.

Good Luck to all

wolfdancer
10-31-2005, 11:30 AM
hey, read your message...and don't get the wrong idea....I was just kidding about the stuff. Between myself and my friend, we had more then out share of pool training aids.
You should see my collection of golf stuff, with a ton of instructional videos to boot.
One of these days, i'll get serious about pool, and my poor break, and get a breakrac...probably one of the better items, I've seen out there.

catscradle
10-31-2005, 12:43 PM

While these tools may not help an A Player, they can definitely help the B Player &amp; below... I have certainly enjoyed the use of these tools &amp; my game has benefitted too. <hr /></blockquote>

To me this seems like the antithesis of your break practice device. Your device saves time so you can concentrate on practicing the break instead of racking the balls. This seems like you'd be spend the whole night carrying it from place to place in the room instead of attempting banks and kicks.

catscradle
10-31-2005, 01:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> I think every Pool Room should have all these practice tools, for their clientele to rent &amp; use. They should also have the videos for their customers to rent. Rental will make the Pool Room money,
<hr /></blockquote>
The last room owner I asked about this said he never recaptured the cost of buying the videos, maybe he just had bad luck.

[ QUOTE ]
... I too used to laugh at the kids that studied hard, took art lessons, played in the Band ...
<hr /></blockquote>
My kids did all that in a very good private school, now they're starving artists. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I played pool for 40 years before I ever cracked a book. Now I have a whole library &amp; lots of videos. I have the Rempe Practice Cue Ball, the Aramith Practice Cue Ball, the Elephant balls, the BreakRAK, The Master Rack, The Sardo Rack, The Predator BK, Joe Tucker's Aiming Balls, his Third Eye adaptor, his Break Shot DVD &amp; other items, The Bank Shot Poster &amp; other stuff too.
<hr /></blockquote>

I don't see my favorite, the stroke trainer.

Scott Lee
10-31-2005, 03:19 PM
Charlie...The main problem with this device remains the same as with almost all the others. MOST poolplayers cannot strike the CB where they think they are aiming (particularly at variable speed strokes)...and even less can do it several times in a row (practical and necessary for any permanent improvement, or real gain in knowledge).
Until a player/student has an accurate, repeatable, and sustainable stroke, all the "aids" (books/videos/etc.) and "devices" in the world will be of limited value. jmo

Scott

recoveryjones
10-31-2005, 07:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Charlie...The main problem with this device remains the same as with almost all the others. MOST poolplayers cannot strike the CB where they think they are aiming (particularly at variable speed strokes)...and even less can do it several times in a row (practical and necessary for any permanent improvement, or real gain in knowledge).
Until a player/student has an accurate, repeatable, and sustainable stroke, all the "aids" (books/videos/etc.) and "devices" in the world will be of limited value. jmo

Scott <hr /></blockquote>

Tap Tap Tap !!!!

Scott that is sooooooooooooooooo true.I hit center ball now more than I ever have, however, it took me a lot of work.First I have to compensate for vision problems as I see center ball as a 1/4 tip(or perhaps more) of right. Joe Tuckers third eyes is great for this problem.

My next dilemna is to do with alignment and that I work sooooooooo hard on.Despite my flaws, I consider myself a pretty good potter.

Bank shots is another entirely different matter.Any unwanted sidings is over amplified when it comes to banks, especially when banks with speed are needed.Deflection is over amplified with speed.It's no use getting any devices or books(even though I already have almost everything...LOL) until the stroke flaws are worked out, I agree whole heartingly.

Although I've made a lot of progress with my stroke on my own, I'm sure some good lessons with a great instructor would have saved me a lot of grief with all that I've accomplished toiling on my own.
RJ

recoveryjones
10-31-2005, 07:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> I think every Pool Room should have all these practice tools, for their clientele to rent &amp; use. They should also have the videos for their customers to rent. Rental will make the Pool Room money, just like the Video Store makes money &amp; give their clientele a chance to learn something.

Lots of students are laughed at. I too used to laugh at the kids that studied hard, took art lessons, played in the Band &amp; were active on the Journalism Club. Most of them are somebody today. I guess they were above me &amp; my friends that laughed at them. I found out too late that being laughed at for learning something was far better than being laughed at, because I was lacking in knowledge.

While all this "STUFF" may not assist me in being a better player, I use it well to make other players play better. (Hell I'm just an old man, that can't see anymore, who likes to drink whiskey &amp; play Ring Games).

I believe in learning something, if possible. If my posts seem like a mandate, they are not, they are just suggestions &amp; my experiences. I'm just trying to help my fellow Pool Players enjoy the game more.

Good Luck to all <hr /></blockquote>

Hi CeeBee,

My story is a little bit like yours, because I have tons of instructional vids, books, aiming systems and stroke improvement devices.

My problem is , is that I'm an out of shape person who found a passion for pool in his late fortys. I'm just a mediocre A level player (according to the ratings in my town), however, I still have a passion for the game and love to learn.

I have some Pro Plus information at my disposal, however, I'm not blessed with the ability to bring it to the table except for in some brief flashes which mostly(actually often) occur when no ones watching...LOL.

I'm beggining to realize without stroke, knowledge, although valuable has it's limitations.Furthermore without a strong mental game, even stroke and knowledge combined has it's limitations.Pool is sooooooooooooo mental!!!!!!

One day when I get much older, I plan on passing all the knowledge I've aquired onto some young promising pool player with a good attitude and a desire to learn.

Even though I'm mediocre, I'm not willing to give up just yet in my improvement aspirations.Don't stick a fork im me yet!!!!I love the game to much to let that happen.
RJ