PDA

View Full Version : Used Brunswick Gold Crown III

brinckie
10-30-2005, 07:47 AM
I'm very close to buying a 20 year old 8' pro Gold Crown III. The place where I am buying it is the only authorized Brunswick dealer in the area (northern new jersey). The wood seems to be in good shape (a few blemishes that look like they I could polish or sand out). The feet are pretty corroded, though. I could probably shine them up with a wire brush. The dealer wants $2,200 for the table (including installation and basic accessories kit). Does that price sound low/medium/high? I'm a long time recreational pool player. This will be my first pool table and its between this and a contender series (or something in similar range from Olhausen).

What do you think?

Paul_Mon
10-30-2005, 08:40 AM
That's not a bad price. Make sure that includes a quality cloth, Simonis or Granito. Does the table have drop pockets or runners?

Paul Mon

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote brinckie:</font><hr> I'm very close to buying a 20 year old 8' pro Gold Crown III. The place where I am buying it is the only authorized Brunswick dealer in the area (northern new jersey). The wood seems to be in good shape (a few blemishes that look like they I could polish or sand out). The feet are pretty corroded, though. I could probably shine them up with a wire brush. The dealer wants $2,200 for the table (including installation and basic accessories kit). Does that price sound low/medium/high? I'm a long time recreational pool player. This will be my first pool table and its between this and a contender series (or something in similar range from Olhausen).

What do you think?
<hr /></blockquote>

brinckie
10-30-2005, 09:30 AM
It has plastic coated metal runners. I don't think that it comes with any sort of premium cloth. Just the basic cloth that the brunswick dealer would put on any new table. Is the cloth upgrade really necessary?

wolfdancer
10-30-2005, 11:25 AM
you'll pay extra, but you'll get more wear from the cloth, and it's easier to keep clean. You'll also be playing on the same covering that has become the industry standard.
My own table has Granito, and I don't think I'd enjoy a napped cloth anymore, at least not as much. even the bars here have Simonis
You should get a few years out of the cloth....so factor that in, when you are deciding if it's worth the extra $$

vinnie717
11-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Hey i got the same thing with drop pockets for 1500 installed without simonis though. It sounds like a good deal and saves you a lot of money for a solid table

brinckie
11-09-2005, 03:55 PM
Journeyman-What condition is your table in? What year was it made? Did you buy it from a Brunswick dealer? I've negotiated the price down to $2,200 but I still wonder if I'm paying too much if you got the same thing for $1,500.

Scott Lee
11-10-2005, 11:55 AM
It's not the same thing. His is drop pockets and yours is a ball return table. That costs more...whether it's worth $700 more is debatable. You should negotiate to include Simonis or Granito cloth. A 20-yr old commercial table, that seen a lot of use (according to your description) is worth what someone will pay. Better deals can be found, but if you want it now, that's the basic choice. BTW, the GCIII was the worst of all of the Gold Crown tables (GCI's being the best, imo, unless you buy a new GCIV). The feet can be replaced (or re-chromed) fairly cheaply, if you want. Whatever you do, if you buy the table, make SURE you put something in the contract that says they will come back out in a couple of months, if your table needs "tweaking", at no extra charge. Sometimes mechanics do a 'quickie' installation, and problems don't show up immediately. jmo

Scott Lee

brinckie
11-10-2005, 03:57 PM
Scott-thanks for the input. What makes the GC 3 the worst of the GCs? I'm buying it b/c I like the way the GCs look and I think that it will be a more solid table than I'd get in the same price range for a new Brunswick or Olhausen. I want a sturdy table that will take a beating from my kids and stay pretty level.

Rich R.
11-11-2005, 06:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote brinckie:</font><hr> What makes the GC 3 the worst of the GCs? <hr /></blockquote>I know one problem they have, is with the ball return. The balls have a tendency to fall out of the ball box, onto the floor. I use to play in a place with all GCIII's and every one of the tables did this.