PDA

View Full Version : In The Zone

wolfdancer
10-30-2005, 12:16 PM
Would you pay $595 for a hypnosis cd/program to help your pool, or golf game?
The program consists of first, a 100 questions about your sport/goals....then a one hour phone interview...after which the personalized cd is made....after using it for about 10 days, another telephone interview/discussion is arranged.
This isn't an ad....I'm not posting the link....just wondering.....
Some years back, I did have a series of 6 hypnotis sessions, to improve my golf game....it worked despite the fact that the guy obviously knew nothing about golf.
For about the same $$, I could go to RandyG's fine school, or buy me a needed sofa.
Let's see:
Heads....Randy's school
Tails.....Hypno CD
upright...the couch

randyg
10-30-2005, 02:10 PM
HEADS: We both win....randyg

PS: Thanks

MacGyver
10-30-2005, 02:32 PM
I would figure whether you want to improve your SKILL game(ie aiming, stroke, precision) or want to work on your MENTAL game(choking, consistancy, playing cold, ect).

I think that if you believe in it, than hypnotism can work wonders, but just remember its a tool for getting your head into the right frame of mind, not a crutch that could hurt your game, and not a miracle cure that will solve everything.

I'd pick a school over hypnotism unless you were really bad with constistancy and choking, and were also highly suggestible.

However, if you think you are going to go through some hypnotism, I would stop enquiring on the board here for info and stop reading this thread... the funny thing about hypnotism is that it only works by how much you believe in it, and some first hand accounts of it not working that you read here might ruin it for you... so just trust in the hypnotism and let it help your game.

wolfdancer
10-30-2005, 02:59 PM
Good answer....lol

wolfdancer
10-30-2005, 03:10 PM
I do believe in hypnotism, and I've seen it work. Ithink, despite the guy's impressive credentials, it's way overpriced.
And you're right, it would only help the mental game, while a good instructor, would give you the mechanical tools to work with.
I'd do the school, before the Hyp....there's always Goodwill for another couch....might need a brick or two for support....but a man's gotta know his priorities.

Bassn7
10-30-2005, 05:16 PM
Take this from someone who has already bought the self-help hypno stuff, and all other sports mental control stuff . . . bottom line, choking exists due to the "wrong goal syndrome". Only if you are TRYING TO WIN can you get nervous. Great pool comes when your goal is not winning, but rather 'to perform a perfect stroke on EVERY shot'. When a person's goal is to reproduce perfect mechanics, then winning just happens. Robotic perfect stroke + sequences learned from experience = Winning. Commments?

Cueless Joey
10-30-2005, 09:48 PM
I'd go to Randy's school then find a good deal on a used sofa.

wolfdancer
10-30-2005, 10:21 PM
Nice post, thanks!!!

recoveryjones
10-30-2005, 11:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bassn7:</font><hr> Take this from someone who has already bought the self-help hypno stuff, and all other sports mental control stuff . . . bottom line, choking exists due to the "wrong goal syndrome". Only if you are TRYING TO WIN can you get nervous. Great pool comes when your goal is not winning, but rather 'to perform a perfect stroke on EVERY shot'. When a person's goal is to reproduce perfect mechanics, then winning just happens. Robotic perfect stroke + sequences learned from experience = Winning. Commments? <hr /></blockquote>

I like it.Good practical info.
RJ

DickLeonard
11-01-2005, 06:09 AM
Bassn7, I think Dr.William Harrison who teaches ball teams how to hit and Golfers how to play has the same approach. Its all in the eyes.####

Sid_Vicious
11-01-2005, 06:26 AM
"Its all in the eyes"

Would you elaborate a little ####? sid

DickLeonard
11-01-2005, 06:30 AM
MacGyver, People who can lose themself in pool can also self hypnotize themselves. When I tell people if given the choice of running 200 +balls or making love to the most beautiful women on earth I would take running the 200+ balls. It is a high that if you have never been there it is hard to describe but once there you become addicted to it. That is why most players who run hundreds prefer to practice alone. I liken it to the virtuosity of playing the Violin and having people watch and listen in awe to the music being played.

Example the post on Babe Cranfield where the one poster would go to the Holiday Bowl to watch Babe run 200s every day. The Syracuse players and Detectives would marvel at his ability to just keep running 100s. If he was to play someone that would alter the rythymn of his play waiting for his opponent to shoot etc.####

supergreenman
11-02-2005, 03:44 PM
Although I don't know Randy, I'd have to agree. there is no substitute for good mechanics and the confidence that comes with good instruction. Take the course, get some milk crates to sit on when you're home and go out and play pool more often because you have nothing to sit on when you're at home /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

James

11-06-2005, 02:41 PM
Both the late Lou Roberts and Lou Butera have worked with hypnotists in an effort to see if they could "will" themselves into dead stroke. If you're interested, my suggestion would be to Google a therapist named Ryan Elliott. Not only does he specialize in working with pool players, but he was a decent player himself. He used to be in Winfield, IL (roughly 40 miles west of Chicago), but I believe he's relocated. GF

Mrs_DG
11-06-2005, 03:36 PM
Take the lessons.
Practice, practice, practice.
Win money at tournaments.
Buy a whole new living room suite with your winnings.

Mrs. DG

wolfdancer
11-06-2005, 03:42 PM
Excellent idea!!!!

wolfdancer
11-06-2005, 03:45 PM
i also think he had a series of tapes"Overcoming Contenderosis" which i had, but lent out...and never got the chance to really use them. thanks for reminding me of Ryan.

Bassn7
11-08-2005, 10:51 PM
I have those tapes and used them for 6 months. Again, they promote 'confidence' through playing great, not stroking great. There is a difference. He needs to make the tapes for perfect mechanics only. Now you've got something.

Scott Lee
11-10-2005, 12:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MacGyver:</font><hr> I would figure whether you want to improve your SKILL game(ie aiming, stroke, precision) or want to work on your MENTAL game(choking, consistancy, playing cold, ect).

I think that if you believe in it, than hypnotism can work wonders, but just remember its a tool for getting your head into the right frame of mind, not a crutch that could hurt your game, and not a miracle cure that will solve everything.

I'd pick a school over hypnotism unless you were really bad with constistancy and choking, and were also highly suggestible.

However, if you think you are going to go through some hypnotism, I would stop enquiring on the board here for info and stop reading this thread... the funny thing about hypnotism is that it only works by how much you believe in it, and some first hand accounts of it not working that you read here might ruin it for you... so just trust in the hypnotism and let it help your game. <hr /></blockquote>

Fixing your "skills" is an important step in fixing the 'mental game'. Without a repeatable, sustainable stroke, you can't deliver the cue accurately time after time. Hypnosis won't fix flaws, it will only allow you to do better what you already know how to do...and if you have flaws in your stroke (as most of us do), they stay in your overall game.

Scott Lee

chicken_blood
11-14-2005, 06:25 PM
Heads without a doubt. Its hard to ask a tape a question. I have been to Randys school twice...best pool money I ever spent.

wolfdancer
11-14-2005, 06:35 PM
You failed the BAR exam the first time????
My friend just got back from there....raving about the place, and I haven't read a bad review on it yet.