PDA

View Full Version : The Night Cafe

wolfdancer
10-30-2005, 03:57 PM
Cafe (http://www.poolandbilliards.aceswebworld.com/vangoghsnightcafe.html)

and some pool stories:

pool tales (http://home.earthlink.net/~acetoscano/coolpoollit.html)

DickLeonard
11-01-2005, 05:32 AM
Wolfdancer, my daughter did her post doctorate at Yale so I would visit Van Gogh when ever I was visiting her. I did a couple of paintings in his style, I would sign my name in the vase like Vincent did.####

DickLeonard
11-18-2005, 06:40 AM
Wolfdancer great stories about Mark Twain I just got around to reading them.####

supergreenman
11-18-2005, 09:31 AM
Hi Wolfdancer, thanks for posting that link for the Van Gogh, he's one of my favorites, I didn't know about that painting. A quick check on ebay showed that it's very popular with the reproduction market. Personally I'd rather get a poster print of the original than some ones reproduction of it. if I wanted a repro, I'd attempt it myself.

James

Keith Talent
11-19-2005, 09:42 AM
Thanks for posting that stuff, Wolfdancer. Curious thing ... I just bought a picture of Twain at his billiards table to put in the pool room I'm building. Didn't know the story behind it, though. My old writing desk also is going in there, where I also intend to hole up with my deep thoughts, lol ... if only I could write worth a damn these days, or run 3 friggin balls!

And a link to Kerouac's "Visions of Cody" on CCB? That's gotta be some kind of first ... that's the unexpurgated, totally mad and sometimes unreadable original version of "On the Road," which is just a commercialized, pale editing down of it.

wolfdancer
11-19-2005, 01:27 PM
My favorite writing story,is about Truman Capote, and Robert Ruark (Something of Value, Uhuru) Ruark imagined himself as another Hemingway, and Capote was....well, Capote...but they were drinking companions. Ruark's writing sessions produced a lot of output, Truman's were much less.
So, one day Ruark is chiding Truman, and said "I could write an entire chapter, while you were writing just one word" to which Capote replied "Yes, but it would be the right word"
Just sit down at the desk, and let it flow...you'll come up with a bunch of right words
......now running 3 friggin balls......that's another story...

denoandrews
11-19-2005, 09:56 PM
If you are going to tell the truth about Van Gogh's "Night Cafe," shouldn't you write that it has a picture of a billiard table in it and not a "pool table?" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Deno
-billiard player

wolfdancer
11-19-2005, 10:30 PM
Well sir, I would have....had I written the article.

While Ace mentions "a rendering of a pool table" perhaps he, himself uses the term generically....like "coke" is used for a variety of cola drinks, and something else
One has only to read further... Vincent's own words...
"The room is blood red and dark yellow with a green BILLIARD table in the middle; there are four lemon-yellow lamps with a glow of orange and green. Everywhere there is a clash and contrast of the most alien reds and greens, in the figures of the sleeping hooligans, in the empty dreary room, in violet and blue. The blood-red and the yellow-green of the BILLIARD table, for instance,"
to his brother Theo....to understand that he, and the story is about him, correctly identifies his own rendition as that of a (billiards) table...
I'm not sure that it is in fact, important to the story, if the table in question, is for billiards, snooker, or pool

DickLeonard
11-22-2005, 06:19 AM
Wolfdancer FYI at the end of Saratoga Race Track on Nelson Ave, there is parking along the road for the freebees as long as they don't block a driveway that is totally engulfed in trees and shrubs. It is the driveway to Yaddow home for Writers,Composers,Artists etc. It is the gift of the Trasks to the World of the Arts.

It was there that Truman Capote did his best work, according to legend the artists are provided with the atmosphere to concentrate on their chosen fields, meeting only for meals and late night snacks and nitecaps.

Spencer Trask was a financer in the late 1800s[Google him and read Press Information on page 3. It goes into length about Yaddow. Yaddow got it's name from one of Trask's children who when she looked into the lake she saw her Yaddow not shadow. ####

dave
11-22-2005, 09:09 AM
He goes on to say: "In my picture of the "Night Cafe" I have tried to express the idea that the cafe is a place where one can ruin oneself, go mad or commit a crime. So I have tried to express, as it were, the powers of darkness in a low public house, by soft Louis XV green and malachite, contrasting with yellow-green and harsh blue-greens, and all of this in an atmosphere like a devils furnace, of pale sulphur. " (I couldn't resist adding that part)

Keith Talent
11-22-2005, 09:28 AM
Wolfdancer,
I was just looking my old post over, and your reply, and after getting that Mark Twain photo in the mail this morning, I noticed that despite it being the 19th century and 3 balls on the table that it was, of course, POOL, not billiards. Makes it better yet ...

As for my abilities at stringing words together, let alone racks, or making clean cuts with a saw to build that damned POOL room ... I've got a ways to go. At this point I need to finish 1/3 of front wall, 9/10 of ceiling, 2/3 of a side wall ... and get a better heater.

Cornerman
11-22-2005, 09:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith Talent:</font><hr> Wolfdancer,
I was just looking my old post over, and your reply, and after getting that Mark Twain photo in the mail this morning, I noticed that despite it being the 19th century and 3 balls on the table that it was, of course, POOL, not billiards. Makes it better yet ...
<hr /></blockquote>There is some story behind this. I just can't remmeber it.

Twain played billiards, probably English Billiards, but pool wasn't foreign to him. At the time, I think they only played "basic pocket billiards."

Fred

wolfdancer
11-22-2005, 10:02 AM
Sounds like your typical pool hall ..lol

wolfdancer
11-22-2005, 10:12 AM
Dick, while I never met a pun, I didn't like
this one is beyond redemption
[ QUOTE ]
she saw her Yaddow not shadow. <hr /></blockquote>
it's not worthy of you....might even be bete noir
for me
I'll check out the Yarrows

Keith Talent
11-22-2005, 12:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr>
There is some story behind this. I just can't remember it.

Twain played billiards, probably English Billiards, but pool wasn't foreign to him. At the time, I think they only played "basic pocket billiards."

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Fred, you're not too far from the Twain home in Hartford, I guess. Ever check it out? A friend at work was telling me the other day that he'd seen the table there. Pockets look fairly tight from the picture I've got.

What's basic pocket billiards?

Cornerman
11-22-2005, 12:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith Talent:</font><hr> Fred, you're not too far from the Twain home in Hartford, I guess. Ever check it out? A friend at work was telling me the other day that he'd seen the table there. Pockets look fairly tight from the picture I've got.<hr /></blockquote>

The balls are most likely billiard balls, and he was trying to play English Billiards on a pool table. I think that for some reason at some point, a pool table was installed in his house instead of an English Billiard table. Where's Mike Shamos when I need him?

[ QUOTE ]
What's basic pocket billiards? <hr /></blockquote>That was the game before any of the current pool games came into existence. Basically, first to make 8 of the 15 balls was the winner. Again, Twain was a billiard player, so pocketing object balls wasn't part of his repertoire. But, there's a story circulating somewhere about one of the early time he actually played pocket billiards, rather than billiards.

Fred

DickLeonard
11-23-2005, 10:10 AM
Wolfdancer that wasn't a pun my first boss's husband was a stock broker for Spencer Trask Inc. The child died at an early age. The Trask's had 4 children and they all died so they left their money to Yaddow. ####

was a stoc

Scott Lee
11-25-2005, 12:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith Talent:</font><hr> if only I could write worth a damn these days, or run 3 friggin balls! <hr /></blockquote>

Keith Talent...Now wait a damn minute! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I can TESTIFY that you can run "3 friggin balls"...LOL It's NINE friggin balls that we've been working on, and you're MUCH closer to that then you were a year ago!...unless you're on the lemon!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif How's your poolroom in the cabin coming?

Scott

wolfdancer
11-25-2005, 12:38 PM
Keith, sounds like you're better at math, then I am...never could figure out fractions. And speaking of heaters...the temp was 58 this a.m. in my garage
I've got an electric blanket on the pool table, brought my cue and balls inside...who wants to play with an icy cue, and cold balls?
If it get's any colder out there, I'll be giving new meaning to Randy's SPF mantra.
I'm going to call a heating contractor, and see what he can do.
at least it isn't snowing in the garage...yet.

Keith Talent
11-26-2005, 09:24 AM
Hey Scott,

At the moment, the table, which is probably shivering in the cold, is surrounded by bales of insulation and stacks of wood. Rumor has it there could be as much as a foot of snow up there right now ... I'll find out this afternoon. Desperately trying to seal up the room before baaaad things happen to my table. Have got a 23X23 ceiling and some 25 feet of wall space to frame and insulate still and a 20,000 BTU propane heater puttering away, hopefully keeping things above freezing most of the time.

And to tell the truth, that last session we had seems to have kicked up my game some ... maybe I can run 4 on a good day! A couple of guys I've played lately who saw me (or beat me) 6 months ago have, er, had to hand it to me for shooting straighter, lol.

Wolfdancer, an electric blanket? That work for you, without toasting the rails? The thought had occurred to me ... but wasn't sure I wanted to risk it.