PDA

View Full Version : White House owes an explanation

Qtec
10-31-2005, 12:20 AM
Reid: White House owes an explanation
Poll shows dimmer view of Bush's ability to manage effectively

Programming Note: Joseph Wilson talks about the CIA leak investigation, on CNN's The Situation Room, Monday, 7 p.m. ET.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Senate minority leader said Sunday that President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney owe the country an explanation of "what's going on" in the administration and called for White House Deputy Chief of Staff Karl Rove to be fired.

"I think not only should the president appear before the American public and explain what is going on and take a few questions from the press, but certainly the vice president should do that," Sen. Harry Reid said on CNN's "Late Edition."

The Nevada Democrat referred to past comments from the president that anyone found to have been involved in the leak of CIA agent Valerie Plame's name to the media would be fired.

Bush later amended his comments to say that anyone guilty of a criminal act would be fired.

"Everyone knows Karl Rove is involved," Reid said. "If the president is a man of his word, Rove should be history."

Rove is widely believed to have been named as "official A" in the five-count indictment handed up Friday against I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby.

Libby resigned Friday as Cheney's chief of staff after a federal grand jury indicted him on five charges related to the leak probe: one count of obstruction of justice, two counts of perjury and two counts of making false statements.

A leading Republican cautioned that Rove hasn't been charged with any crime.

"Mr. Rove, like every other citizen, is entitled to the presumption of innocence, and until somebody says that he's done something wrong, he ought to be permitted to go about his business like anybody else," said Sen. Arlen Specter, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Rove was not indicted, but special prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald said the investigation of the leak affair would continue, and sources said Rove was not out of legal jeopardy.

Bush made a short statement Friday at the White House in which he called the legal proceedings "serious" and said the administration was focused on many issues.

"There was not a word of apology, not a word of explanation to the American people," Reid said. "The president's going to have to get a touch of reality."

Reid urged Bush to follow an example set by President Reagan when he was faced with the Iran-Contra scandal, and "clean house."

The two-year investigation into the leak raised questions about political retribution by the White House and one of its central points for going to war against Iraq -- the search for weapons of mass destruction.

"REMEMBER THE affair of "the sixteen words"? A year ago this month official Washington was convulsed by a controversy over whether President Bush had knowingly twisted the truth about Iraq to persuade the country to go to war. A former U.S. ambassador, Joseph C. Wilson IV, made that charge. As evidence he cited Mr. Bush's statement in his January 2003 State of the Union address that "the British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa," a finding that seemed to support the conclusion that Iraq's nuclear weapons program was active. Mr. Wilson suggested that the White House should have known this was not true, because he himself had traveled to the African state of Niger at the request of the CIA a year before the speech and debunked the intelligence. A few days later, embarrassed by the fact that part of the evidence about Niger was a forgery, the White House said the sentence should not have been included in the president's speech"

The day after Wilson's op-ed, the govt admitted that they made a mistake. The sixteen words should not have been included in the President's speech. The normal procedure would be to find out who made the mistake and kick his or her ass- end of story.

My question is, why did Rove/ libby etc try to discredit Wilson AFTER they had admitted that what Wilson claimed was basically correct?
Was it jsu for spite or was it a diversion?
Q

eg8r
10-31-2005, 04:50 AM
Nothing like a little clarification. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

By the way, the White House owes nothing to Q.

eg8r

Qtec
10-31-2005, 11:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Nothing like a little clarification. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

By the way, the White House owes nothing to Q.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

Nice try, but nobody is falling for your strawman BS.

"WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Senate minority leader said Sunday that President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney owes the country an explanation"

You are doing the same as Libby!

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Gayle in MD
11-05-2005, 10:03 AM
Thank heaven the Democrats are finally demanding some accountability from these crooks. Bush NEVER admits to anything. There's no questions in my mind that Cheney, Bush, Libby and Rove all got their heads together and set out to discredit Joe Wilson. This president has Broken down every American value imaginable, everything from Pre-emptive strikes against a country that never attacked us, to secret prisons where Americans torture human beings. I am disgraced that my country has fallen to such low standards under this administration. If EVER a president deserved to be impeached, it is NOW. I hope the democrats fight to the bitter end to unveil the lies and hypocracy of this evil bunch.

Gayle in Md....Joe Wilson is a hero IMO.

ceebee
11-06-2005, 09:07 AM
"If the president is a man of his word"

Dubya would rather climb a tall tree &amp; tell a lie, than stand flat footed on the ground &amp; tell the truth. Dubya is a little rich kid that never had a job. America will pay severely, for electing this turd.

I hate candy coating things, but there are children on this board.

Sid_Vicious
11-06-2005, 09:19 AM
Impeachment with prison cuz this a-hole has KILLED American soldiers. I pray this investigation goes all the way and isn't stunted by lesser crimes. What GW did was in magnitudes w-a-y-y-y beyond Bill's squirming out of infidelity charges,,,he's a murderer...sid

SnakebyteXX
11-06-2005, 01:46 PM
http://img342.imageshack.us/img342/8264/crkca0511031sp.jpg

eg8r
11-07-2005, 06:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice try, but nobody is falling for your strawman BS. <hr /></blockquote> There is no strawman in my statement. The White House does not owe you anything. It is merely a statement.

You are correctly accused of using strawman arguments so often, you are just itching to try and get someone else doing the same thing. Not working in this case. Good try. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
11-07-2005, 06:57 AM
Pretty funny. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

supergreenman
11-07-2005, 11:57 AM
I look forward to the day when my upstanding pool playing neighbors to the south can once again say they belong to the land of the free and home of the brave, vote in real elections and not have to worry about thier sons and daughters coming home in body bags because of a lie.

James