PDA

View Full Version : Problem with cue case tubes

SPetty
11-01-2005, 01:05 PM
I bought a new (el cheapo) cue case. Although the tubes are tight enough to keep the shafts and butts from going down too far, if you tap the bottom of the case against the floor or simply keep pushing, the pieces go too far.

I remember the very best solution to this from a few years ago that was posted on the board was to use marbles down in the bottom of the tubes. This was not a permanent solution like cramming paper towels or other spacer material down there, because the marbles could be easily removed if desired.

I tried the marbles.

It appears that the tubes stop shorter than the bottom of the case, because I ended up with marbles rattling around the bottom of the case below the bottom of the tubes. At least they came back out easily!

Any other non-permanent ideas? Any other permanent ideas? I'm not even sure cramming paper down there would work given that the tubes stop above the bottom...

9 Ball Girl
11-01-2005, 01:28 PM
SPetty, see some of the responses over on AZB (including yours truly).

Sid_Vicious
11-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Wouldn't joint protectors elimnate the problem???sid

DickLeonard
11-02-2005, 07:48 AM
SPetty here is my solution for that problem I take the round pipe insulation that you place over copper piping to save the heat, cut it just enuff to stop the shaft and butt and put it into the hole and push it in with the butt or shaft and it stops the shaft or butt from getting lost.####

Eric.
11-02-2005, 09:26 AM
I've used wood dowels.

I went to Home Depot and bought two different diameter wood dowels(one the size of a shaft and one the size of the butt), cut them to 1" legnths or whateva suits your situation and put them into the tubes. Seems to work nicely.

Eric

9 Ball Girl
11-02-2005, 09:36 AM
Like I posted over on AZB, I've used the foam stoppers that I bought in Valley Forge a year ago for my Joe Porper case (I don't need stoppers now with the Talisman case).

Before the foam stoppers, I was using the tops of markers (the big fat kind) and shoved them down the tubes (opening side down).

Rich R.
11-02-2005, 09:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> I've used wood dowels.

I went to Home Depot and bought two different diameter wood dowels(one the size of a shaft and one the size of the butt), cut them to 1" legnths or whateva suits your situation and put them into the tubes. Seems to work nicely. <hr /></blockquote>I did this also, only I added those little carpet pads, that you put on the bottom of chair legs to protect the floor, to the wood dowels.

BTW, I recently had to remove one from my case. It wasn't easy, but I did get it out without damaging the case.

nAz
11-02-2005, 10:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> I bought a new (el cheapo) cue case. Although the tubes are tight enough to keep the shafts and butts from going down too far, if you tap the bottom of the case against the floor or simply keep pushing, the pieces go too far.

I remember the very best solution to this from a few years ago that was posted on the board was to use marbles down in the bottom of the tubes. This was not a permanent solution like cramming paper towels or other spacer material down there, because the marbles could be easily removed if desired.

I tried the marbles.

It appears that the tubes stop shorter than the bottom of the case, because I ended up with marbles rattling around the bottom of the case below the bottom of the tubes. At least they came back out easily!

Any other non-permanent ideas? Any other permanent ideas? I'm not even sure cramming paper down there would work given that the tubes stop above the bottom...
<hr /></blockquote>

I went to the local hardware store and bought some springs to put in the tubes. i cut out some small rubber peices that i had left over from another project and attached them to both sides of the springs. it seems to work great, the springs push out just enough to keep the the cues pressed against the top cover.

Chopstick
11-02-2005, 10:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>
It appears that the tubes stop shorter than the bottom of the case, because I ended up with marbles rattling around the bottom of the case below the bottom of the tubes.
<hr /></blockquote>

Now that's funny. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

SPetty
11-02-2005, 10:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> It appears that the tubes stop shorter than the bottom of the case, because I ended up with marbles rattling around the bottom of the case below the bottom of the tubes. <hr /></blockquote>Now that's funny. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>Yeah, actually, it was. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

So because of that, I think anything (like dowel pieces) that is shorter than about an inch, might get lost down in the bottom the way the marbles did, and soft foam would just push on through as well.

Also, there's a problem with the tube lining - it's not tight against the tube sides. I suspect that I wouldn't be able to get out dowel parts. It was the weight of the marbles that allowed them to make their way back out, I think.

Thanks for the ideas, guys. Has anyone ever removed the bottom of their cue case? It looks like it's held on with six tiny nails. I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to get it back on if I successfully got it off...

Chopstick
11-02-2005, 12:46 PM
Just put a new one on your Xmas list and let LeRoy worry about it.

rackem
11-03-2005, 12:09 AM
DON'T TAKE THE CASE APART. FIND SOMEONE WITH A 59 OR 60" CUE THAT NEEDS IT. GET YOURSELF A NEW CASE THAT WORKS FOR YOU. NOW YOU KNOW ONE OF THE THINGS TO LOOK FOR.

onepocketchump
11-03-2005, 08:37 AM
I have take a few cases apart. Just take out the nails carefully and put a small mark on the bottom where the endcap meets the edge of the body. This is so you put the endcap back in the right direction and the holes will line up.

Wood dowels cut to size are good. I used to use pieces of leather rolled up tightly and taped, cut to size. They go in and come out easily.

John

SPetty
11-03-2005, 08:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote onepocketchump:</font><hr> I have taken a few cases apart.<hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <blockquote><font class="small">Quote onepocketchump:</font><hr> Just take out the nails carefully and put a small mark on the bottom where the endcap meets the edge of the body. This is so you put the endcap back in the right direction and the holes will line up.<hr /></blockquote>Great! That's exactly what I was thinking!<blockquote><font class="small">Quote onepocketchump:</font><hr>I used to use pieces of leather rolled up tightly and taped, cut to size. They go in and come out easily.<hr /></blockquote>Neat idea. Thanks!