PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying this used table...opinions?

cgreer00
11-01-2005, 02:25 PM
Ok, I grew up playing pool on my dad's table and developed a passion for the game. I moved out to go to college and I have finally settled down with a job and a mortgage. I have been craving a pool table for months, and I might have finally found one that fits my budget and needs.

It is a Brunswick 8 foot table, the guy says it looks a lot like the Gold Crown but he thinks it is called a Monticello? I did a search but couldn't find much. Anyway, he says it is in excellent shape except for a small hole in the cloth where someone tried to jump the cue ball. Here is the pricing:

$1150 for the table, cues, balls, rack, etc.
$150 for him to deliver (45 miles away) and set it up. He says he used to work with a guy that did it for a living, so he has a lot of experience with recovering and setting up pool tables. He also said he would recover the bed for free if I bought the cloth. So I can budget in a bit more money for a new cloth on the bed (not sure how much that would cost.)

What do you all think? There is a serious shortage of tables in this area (south of Atlanta)...I have been looking for several months on ebay and in all of the local papers. I am thinking that this is a good deal and I should jump on it.

Deeman3
11-01-2005, 03:22 PM
If you like the table and it appears in good condition, buy it. An 8 footer will be fine for home and the price appears reasonable for a used Brunswick. I'd go ahead and spend a couple of hundred on the good cloth and make sure it is set up well (level, rails are straight and responsive, pockets will take a hard shot) before you let him get away.

Enjoy the table and invite some people over to play. A table by yourself can be a lonely thing.

Deeman

Billy
11-01-2005, 03:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cgreer00:</font><hr> Ok, I grew up playing pool on my dad's table and developed a passion for the game. I moved out to go to college and I have finally settled down with a job and a mortgage. I have been craving a pool table for months, and I might have finally found one that fits my budget and needs.

It is a Brunswick 8 foot table, the guy says it looks a lot like the Gold Crown but he thinks it is called a Monticello? I did a search but couldn't find much. Anyway, he says it is in excellent shape except for a small hole in the cloth where someone tried to jump the cue ball. Here is the pricing:

$1150 for the table, cues, balls, rack, etc.
$150 for him to deliver (45 miles away) and set it up. He says he used to work with a guy that did it for a living, so he has a lot of experience with recovering and setting up pool tables. He also said he would recover the bed for free if I bought the cloth. So I can budget in a bit more money for a new cloth on the bed (not sure how much that would cost.)

What do you all think? There is a serious shortage of tables in this area (south of Atlanta)...I have been looking for several months on ebay and in all of the local papers. I am thinking that this is a good deal and I should jump on it. <hr /></blockquote>

you're going to buy a table you've never seen before?

and doesn't know the model for sure but says it looks like a GC?

/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

jmo

Sid_Vicious
11-01-2005, 03:59 PM
I'd HAVE to see it first if I were you, and possibly sweeten the deal by having the fee for delivery stripped off. Having said that though,,,it's reasonable in cost barring any big, unforeseen shortcomings. Do you know if it is solid wood, no particle board? Also, ask how thick the slate is if you talk to him again. Lastly, the set of balls coming with the table is something that got me when I bought my $1000 Brunswick. He exhibited a nice new set of shiny balls on the table, and then packed me up with a crummy older set when packup time came...sid

cgreer00
11-01-2005, 07:35 PM
i am going to head up there to check out the table before i purchase it. I will take a lot of photos of it and post them up to get your opinions. thanks for the advice so far. I can get a new Olhausen delivered and set up for $1850 + tax (so I guess that is around $2000) from my local dealer, although I would guess that it is the very entry level model.

cgreer00
11-01-2005, 07:45 PM
BTW, my pool room is 12.5' by 19.5'. Will that be ok for an 8 foot table? I realize that some shots might require a short pool stick, but do you think I can make do? I want to become competitive again so I can participate in tournaments, and I realize that I should play on as large as table as possible for this to happen. This is the only place in the house where a pool table can go though. I want to avoid a 7' table unless I absolutely would have to get one. Thanks again!

MacGyver
11-02-2005, 01:00 AM
pure math here but =

(19.5 - 8)/2 = 5.75 feet(pool cue about 5 feet, so that is plenty of stroking room I'd think(9 inches of stroke).

(12.5 - 4)/2 = 4.25 feet. so that is about a whole foot short.

That means that the cueball has to be at least a foot into the table for you to get a good stroke when shooting from either side.

I would think that that event happens QUITE often in a pool game.

I'm just a beginner but I think you are overthinking the big table thing...

What should matter is that you get a stroke down perfect and have the knowledge to make shots...

Anytime you are shooting against a wall or with a shorter stick, you are not really practicing your stroke that you will be using 99% of the time....

I think you would be better off with a smaller table and shimmed pockets(or just focus on aiming for center pocket and not hitting the rails), rather than getting a larger table but sacraficing a natural stroke due to walls.

cgreer00
11-02-2005, 06:49 AM
the thing is, a 7 foot table is much easier to play on. When I go to the local pool hall and play on their 7 foot table, I can run rack after rack. When I play on the 8 foot table, it is definitely more challenging. Plus, most of the local tournaments are played on 8 foot tables.

BigRigTom
11-02-2005, 04:34 PM
$1150 is a lot for a used table in my opinion UNLESS you have seen it and you THEN determine IT IS what you like and want.
Chances are that if it is a Brunswick it is worth that much regardless of the actual model...even the cheapest Brunswick MIGHT be worth that much if it is what you want.
Sorry if that sounds vague but it is just the way it really is.
I have mentioned on this forum several times that I got my Brunswick (8' Pro Size at 46"x92" play area) used for $250 (personally I think I practically stole it). Again that is probably just a matter of opinion. It was built in 1974 best I can determine but I really don't care when it was built because I like it the way it is. It looks a lot like a Gold Crown but the legs are wood.
The important thing is that you shop around a bit in your area and see what other tables of similar quality go for. Usually you can get a REALLY GREAT USED TABLE for about $1000 if you are patient enough to wait til the right one comes along.
About size.....Check out this link.
Brunswick Room Size Chart (http://www.brunswickbilliards.com/need_information/room_size_requirements.html)

It was a big help to me when I was trying to make the same decisions you seem to be struggling with.
Good luck and hope it works out exactly the way you want it to.

cgreer00
11-02-2005, 05:42 PM
thanks for the advice so far. I am going to go up there on Friday to look it over and take some pics. I will post them up here because I would love to hear your opinions. I agree that $1150 might be a little high, but he is going to set it up for cheap (and recover it), so that factors in. I think I am going to go with an 8' and a short stick for the tight shots. I talked to a knowledgeable billiards player today and he said that if I want to be competitive in tournaments I really need the 8' table.