PDA

View Full Version : Hohmann??

Cornerman
11-02-2005, 09:45 AM
Am I missing something? I've read many posts now writing about Thorsten as if he's a lock or at the least, that he's the man to beat. When did he become someone that people viewed as elite? I know he won the World's out of nowhere a few years ago, beating Alex, and I know he won the over-sized pocketed BCA Open (they're ridiculously too big, every year), but is there some other tournament or accomplishment that I've missed that lead people to believe that he belongs so high on the list that he's somehow a lock or the man on top?

For me, I think he's got a slim outside shot at best. Does he even play 8-ball? It is important to actually know the game intimately, you know? I don't think he'll make it out of his grouping at the IPT. I've watched him in person a few times, and he's as good as any professional, but I never saw anything that makes me think he's consistently better than his own countryman, Souquet. (And what happened to Ortmann?).

The recent US Open showed me the top players, yet again. Alex, Bustamante, Strickland. I was pleasantly surprised to see Parica in the finals. When McCready is in gear, he is untouchable. Archer? Superman in every aspect of the game. Hohmann? He's steady. Very steady. But all of the other guys seem to have a higher gear that I've not seen in Hohmann.

Anyway, that's my take. I think he's a great player, but I just haven't seen that extra special whatever. Maybe he'll prove me wrong.

Fred

KAB125
11-02-2005, 11:55 AM
I don't think this makes him a lock Fred but it does seem to show that he knows games other than 9-ball.

Quote from Matchroom article:

The 2003 World Champion added the event to his roll of honour which also includes the BCA Open and European 8-ball and Straight Pool titles, as he claimed the $20,000 winners’ cheque following an impressive weekend’s pool.

Bob_Jewett
11-02-2005, 12:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr> Am I missing something? I've read many posts now writing about Thorsten as if he's a lock or at the least, that he's the man to beat. When did he become someone that people viewed as elite? ..
<hr /></blockquote>
Well, he's one of the few active players who has run over 400 balls at 14.1 and as I recall he did it when he was 22. Not the same as eight ball, but still pretty good.

sneakypapi
11-02-2005, 04:07 PM
Hohmann's great knowledge of straight pool and his incredible runs will give him an advantage for 8 ball.
8 ball has so many options for shooting, like straight pool does, so this is where he will shine.

marek
11-03-2005, 03:04 PM
Thorsten is a great player with absolutelly flawless technique and great mental strenght. I have seen him run six-pack in eight ball during european championship in 2004(which he won) and his personal best is 11-pack in eightball which is ENOUGH to beat anybody on this planet.
Some facts about him:
Name Thorsten Hohmann
Nickname The Hitman
Club 1. PBC Fulda
Residence Jacksonville, Florida
Date of Birth 14-07-1979
Playing Cue Vollmer Cue
Break Cue Predator
Cons. runs 8-ball 11
Cons. runs 9-ball 9
Highest Run 14/1 404
Palmares 2004
- German Champion 9-Ball and Team
- Runner up German Championships 8-Ball (Cup-devision)
- European Champion 8-Ball
- Runner up European Championships Team
- Euro Club Team Cup Champion
- Runner up Florida State 9-Ball Championships
- 17th place World 9-Ball Championships ( Taipei )
- 5th place World 8-Ball Championships ( Fujeirah )
- Runner up US-Open
- Runner up Challenge of Champions
- Runner up Tokio International
- German Champion Straight Pool, Mixed and Team
- New Jersey State Straight Pool Champion
- World 9-Ball Champion ( Cardiff )
- Intercontinental Team Cup Champion
- Runner up World Pool League
- Runner up Sudden Death 7-Ball
- Runner up German Championships 9-Ball and Straight Pool
- 17th place World 9-Ball Championships ( Cardiff )
- European Champion Team
- 17th place World 9-Ball Championships (Cardiff )
- Hessen-State Champion (Cup-devision) and Team (Cup-devision)
- Runner up German Championships 8-Ball, 9-Ball and Team
- Runner up European Championships Team

marek
11-03-2005, 03:16 PM
During European championships 2005 Thorsten ran 3 times 125-and-out in straight pool and achieved average over 50 points per inning in the whole tournament!!! He also ran 8-pack in eight ball against Nick van den Berg in eightball. I think it qualifies for a great player.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

thecardman
11-04-2005, 08:10 AM
I sat and watched Hohmann run 2 brilliant back-to-back 125-and-outs in the European Championships semi final and final. Both showed just how good a player he is, certainly in Straight Pool, and that can only be good for his all-round game.

I would certainly wager a few dollarpounds on him for next year's World Straight Pool title.

Best wishes

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mdhmi
11-07-2005, 09:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr> For me, I think he's got a slim outside shot at best<hr /></blockquote>

I suppose it really comes down to who all enters the tournament and how well he plays. He definitely has the skill and experience to win.

I truly hope the event is televised so I'll have an opportunity to watch it.

Mark

Beaver
11-12-2005, 07:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote marek:</font><hr> During European championships 2005 Thorsten ran 3 times 125-and-out in straight pool and achieved average over 50 points per inning in the whole tournament!!! He also ran 8-pack in eight ball against Nick van den Berg in eightball. I think it qualifies for a great player.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I was there this spring and saw everyone of these matches that Hohmann played and I must say he played as pro as it gets man.