PDA

View Full Version : JoePool goes to Cue-Tech Pool School in Dallas

joepool
11-02-2005, 04:34 PM
Here are journal excerpts about my experience this week at Cue-Tech Pool School.

Thanks, Randy!!!

Tom Seymour aka JoePool

----
Day One

just in from day one --- in a word --- FANTASTIC!

homework to do tonight....

It's just Randy G. and I for the 3 day Advanced class, and he is putting some major changes into my game as well as giving me incredible information.

I will not be able to say enough about how good I think it is so far.

He said after tomorrow I may hate him because of some drills he plans to put through, but I don't think so. This guy is a master teacher and all the info I have found about him doesn't do him justice---he is a great teacher and really nice guy, too.
-----
Day 2

I have to start with "Wow!" again.

I am truly amazed at the differences/tweaks Randy G. is helping me implement into my game. If I do the work and followup, which I fully intend to do, I will play better.

I had video analysis and feedback and detailed explanations of what I am doing, what needs adjustment, etc. and Why these changes should be made. It all makes sense when Randy explains it. He astounds me with his understanding of what we call a pool stroke. And much more as well.

Tomorrow will be the final day and I will try to integrate more fully the changes I have begun to make. As you can imagine, making any changes to fundamentals like stroke, aiming, etc. for an experienced player creates an "adjustment period" that may be the "one step back" of the "two steps forward, one step back" that my pool game seems to need to follow as it gets better.

Today's final hour was on the SAM aiming system that Pool Tech is teaching. It seems a workable simplified way to aim successfully, and I would use it as a reference when I don't "see the shot" that I am trying to make. To get the most of the class I will use the aiming system deliberately long enough to incorporate it into my game.

Best of all is that I am being given the tools to continue to work on my fundamentals and be able to check them as I play. I have a notebook full of notes,etc.

-----
Day 3

Day 3 (another 8 hour day)

It's over. and what occurs to me is that it can only be 3 days because so much information is provided. I was getting a little "punchy" and sensing an information overload.

For me, it was a great experience that I am certain will make me a better player. I was concerned about "unknown" problems in my game that impacted my consistency. I sensed there were problems with eyes, stroke delivery, etc. The class cleared it up for me and helped me clean up unnecessary elements.

The final day was smoothing things out that we had been working with the first two days. We kind of took my game apart and now were putting everything back with some new and refurbished parts. Then there were some additional exercises on new topics.

In the final part of the day, we completed another video analysis and created practice routines etc. for me to complete implementation of changes/improvements to my game.

Suffice it to say that I am extremely satisified with my experience at Cue-Tech. Randy G. is a great teacher and very knowledgeable. He teaches you how to improve your fundamentals and play better as a result.

I am rambling some as I am tired. If you decide to go to Cue-Tech, be prepared to give it a lot of energy --- it's a very intense and comprehensive program, but you are led through it step by step, and you can see how you are doing as you go along. They also provided me with tools like checklists, practice exercises, etc. to take with me from the class to continue to work on my game.

So, now, as always, I have a lot of work to do on my game. And I have a much better idea of what that work is.

scottycoyote
11-02-2005, 07:23 PM
hey joe.......glad you had such a good time, i had a great time at my cuetech school a few weeks ago and im greatly looking forward to getting into the expert class next year sometime. Just listen to randy and be sure you lay off any heavy play for the next 3 weeks like he says.....i semi-played the last week and under pressure i just forgot everything i was supposed to be doing........BAD ME!!!

caedos
11-02-2005, 11:43 PM
Very often it's not possible or practical to lay off for three weeks and work on the new material. In that case, it's expected that the new learning is not going to be present when competitive play occurs. The best I know how to phrase it is that the new habits are not formed, and they are something that follows you and not something to 'force' or take with you to a game on a conscious level. Cue Tech is very process oriented, and for that reason the three weeks are the preferred incubation period to create a usable habit with good results in competition.

As for "BAD ME", I hope you were joking and don't actually talk to yourself that way.

Have Fun (@#$! it!)!!!!!!!!!

Carl

pooltchr
11-03-2005, 06:09 AM
Tom,
It sounds like you picked up a good bit of the information. The only thing I can say is to do the Mother Drills! That is how all you learned becomes a natural part of your game. When that happens, you are going to see fantastic results!
Glad you had such a good time!

Scott....did you get my fax???

Steve

wolfdancer
11-03-2005, 10:57 AM
Is this you???
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8663132739123725799&q=Joe+Pool

scottycoyote
11-03-2005, 03:45 PM
hey steve i did get your fax, thanks. Hope to see you at the tourny in gboro in dec, im not 100% decided whether ill play it or not.