PDA

View Full Version : Shaftmaster Portable Cue Lathe

runout1961
11-04-2005, 01:30 PM
Hello All,

I was thinking of purchasing the shaftmaster portable cue lathe. The lathe costs $899 on it's website but you could get it from Seybert's cheaper. I was wondering if anyone has ever used this lathe before. Mind you it is only good for repairs and such but given the cost of the lathe i would like some insight first. Please let me know!!!!!!!! www.shaftmaster.com (http://www.shaftmaster.com)

raodwarior
11-04-2005, 03:33 PM
Save your money and get yourself a cuesmith or unique lathe. Much better peices of equipment and will last considerable longer.

Bassn7
11-04-2005, 10:21 PM
I built an entire lathe for $57.00 buying and building it from scratch using e-bay. A motor, chuck, cue pins etc. I can only do tips, but they come out awesome.

MacGyver
11-04-2005, 11:18 PM
Just a thought but could you post what you bought and how you put it together? like a tutorial would be interesting!

Cane
11-04-2005, 11:30 PM
Better just to buy a cheap used mini-lathe and outfit it to do tips, ferrules, and such. You can pick them up on ebay or other auction sites for little of nothing. I use a big lathe to do my own tips and house cues for local bars, but just because I already had the big lathe for my rodmaking business.

Later,
Bob

PS: Any flyfishers out there, or rather IN here on the boards? Might trade a little pool stuff for a good flyfishing adventure. see my stuff at www.caneflyrod.com (http://www.caneflyrod.com) That's what I do in the REAL world! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bassn7
11-07-2005, 10:26 AM
I bought a 2 hp motor, a big chuck to connect to the motor shaft, and a variable speed motor control to plug the motor power cord into. Then I ordered all the shaft pins from ATLAS pool supply. The tip end: I just used a piece of wood with a 16mm hole lined with soft felt to hold the shaft steady. It spins fast and I can edge a tip like a pro. (Just look at any cue lathe and design one yourself, as you see fit. Be creative.)

wolfdancer
11-07-2005, 10:38 AM
The 2hp motor seems like "overkill"...but the price is right. How are you able to face off the end of the ferrule and cue?
Can you post any pix?
I had a lathe from Chris Hightower, sold it awhile back....and now I'd like to get a cheap setup, to do my own tips.

Bassn7
11-08-2005, 11:56 AM
How do I post an image?