PDA

View Full Version : CCB access question (DSL or Cable?)

Rip
06-24-2002, 07:48 PM
I just had a call from a friendly telemarketer informing me that DSL is now available in my area. If price was not an issue, which would you prefer and why, DSL or Cable Modem? By the way, Jeanette Lee looks exceptionally lovely tonight! So...DSL or cable modem???? Rip

cheesemouse
06-24-2002, 08:09 PM
I have cable and have heard that it is problem free over potential DSL problems. I would give up hot water before I would give up this connection. If both were availiable here I would stay with my cable. They installed it three years ago and I have never seen them since. I could go on but you get the picture. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

P.S. Yes, she was lovely and she plays pretty good too. LOL

Barbara
06-24-2002, 08:21 PM
Rip,

We have cable. Fast as sh$t. The only problem we've had is resetting the router a couple times and that damn tree that broke our cable line during a Saturday afternoon storm when we were out of town. Of course, the cable company wouldn't be able to come out until the following Thursday (we called Sunday when we got back - THAT'S when you should've seen the Big Guy EXPLODE!!!). So he went to Radio Shack, got some line and spliced the wire. What a Smartie!!!

And the Cable guys came out the next morning.

Barbara~~~paying for "non-service" is not our way of life...

TalismanTony
06-24-2002, 08:28 PM
Hi Rip,

One of the frustrations that is often cited with DSL is an issue with problem solving. Usually providing the service requires the cooperation of 3 seperate companies. The Telephone service provider, the DSL connection provider and an ISP. If something goes wrong who do you call? Its then very easy for someone (from one company) to come an take a look at your connection and tell you the problem is one of the other companies responsibilities (you may get things like "my part is working OK, talk to your ISP" etc.). I have read a lot of articles talking about this in the US and have friends in the UK with the same experience.

That being said, when its working well a fast DSL connection is fanatastic and makes the web a lot more fun to use.

Kind regards,

stickman
06-24-2002, 08:33 PM
I'm using DSL. I can't compare it to cable, it's not available here. I had a little trouble getting setup initially, but the tech support was good and I've had no problems since. I've been on DSL for a little over a year. I would probably go crazy if I had to go back to dialup. My Mom still uses dialup and it drives me nuts trying to use her computer. I'm too impatient to wait on the darn thing and it keeps kicking her offline. Augh!!! I have a router and run two computers with the capability to run 4.

Rod
06-25-2002, 02:29 AM
Hi Rip,
I'm on cable and it's faster than a Top Fuel Dragster! You should ask the ISP what their caps are, and you can ask about advertised speed although you may never see such speed. My average is 275 up and 2000 down. I'd sure hate to go back to an old street car(56k). I'd go with cable. Why yes Ms Lee did look lovely tonight.

Jay M
06-25-2002, 05:46 AM
I have had cable since the day it became available in my area. DSL is available now, but for the difference in speeds, I can't justify the extra cost. The only reason I can see to have DSL over cable in an area is if you are going to have a static IP address and serve data to the internet. If you aren't doing that, the cost cant be justified.

Jay M

NH_Steve
06-25-2002, 06:16 AM
I have cable, and it has certainly not been problem free. When it's fast it's fast... But, it gets bogged down now & then -- slowing to a dial-up kind of crawl, often at predictable times (kind of like a traffic jam at rush hour). Service is definitely a pain in the butt, with 20 minute waits in a phone Q to speak with a rep that has poor English skills, and might be located absolutely anywhere on earth. These reps will never acknowledge the true inadequacies of their infrastructure! I understand (from 'off the record' leaks) that for cable it makes a big difference how many users are on your actual node of service -- too many and you'll be competing with your neighbors a bit too much for that 'fast' service. For DSL, I understand it's also how close you are to the actual service node -- too many miles and your service will suffer. My DSL service in my office in our little capital city is consistently faster & more reliable than my cable service at my rural home...

Bottom line, I'd poll your neighbors & see whether cable has a lot of problems in your neighborhood & also check how close you are to the service node for DSL.

MikeM
06-25-2002, 06:36 PM
All else being equal, DSL is the better choice. Higher speeds and it's all dedicated to you (with cable, you do share bandwidth with people on the same node as you). It is more expensive and the service records of most (all really) DSL providers is atrocious. I live too far from the central office for DSL so I'm stuck with cable. It's usually fine, but when there is a problem it always seems to last a day or two and I get no updates from my provider (Cox). Someone else mentioned problems with finger pointing with DSL since you have multiple companies to deal with. The flip side of this is that you do have a choice. With cable, in most areas, you are stuck with your cable provider as your ISP. Any other ISP will cost extra. If I had a choice I would use DSL and pay the extra money.

MM...in the interest of fair disclosure, my company sells DSL and not cable.

Tom_In_Cincy
06-25-2002, 06:37 PM
Cable modem since Aug 2000 and love it. Always on, good service, no telephone company and ISP to bicker with..

Cable is the way I went.. and haven't regretted it at all.

stickman
06-25-2002, 09:46 PM
South Western Bell is the only one I've ever had to deal with and they were great. My phone is South Western Bell, my DSL is South Western Bell and my ISP is South Western Bell. There's no way to blame someone else if things go wrong. I had dialup before and I ran an extra phone line so the kids could talk on the phone. With two teenagers it was a necessity. Now I run two computers and talk on the phone, all on one phone line, with the ability to run 4 computers. One teenager has to chat on the computer and talk on the phone at the same time. I can still use my computer and no one is unhappy. DSL is actually cheaper for me.

SPetty
06-26-2002, 08:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: MikeM:</font><hr> I live too far from the central office for DSL so I'm stuck with cable. <hr></blockquote>Feel for me, Mike. I live too far for DSL and too far for cable. I'm stuck with modem. No end in sight at this time either.

MikeM
06-26-2002, 08:57 AM
I feel yor pain.

How about satellite?

MM...kp msg shrt lds fstr ;&gt;)

TomBrooklyn
06-26-2002, 02:01 PM
Rip, I got some good replies to a similar question I asked a while ago on this board http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=2395&amp;page= &amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1 I had to switch to Verizon phone service to get DSL, and their service has been good although they had problems getting my extra email boxes set up for several weeks. I think Verizon had a bad reputation but have gotten better.

The site dslreports.com is excellent for both DSL and cable questions.

I think you'll love the change, whichever one you get. Good luck.

Fred Agnir
06-26-2002, 02:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SPetty:</font><hr>Feel for me, Mike. I live too far for DSL and too far for cable. I'm stuck with modem. No end in sight at this time either. <hr></blockquote>

I suffer the same fate. My neighbor 4 houses down gets a dial up speed of up to ~40K. I am at an horrific 28.8K with constant hang ups.

I have so many trees on my south side that even Satellite PC may not be an option for me.

Fred &lt;~~~ in the sticks

Rod
06-26-2002, 03:04 PM
Rip, I saw Toms post and thought I would reply. Here is a link to Speedguide.net, or just type in the name. http://forums.speedguide.net/cgi-bin/optd/optd.cgi?DATA_OFFSET=40&amp;TCP_Options_string=020405b 40103030201010402&amp;IP_MTU_DISCOVER=1&amp;WIN=64240&amp;RWIN =256960&amp;MSS=1460&amp;SCALE=2&amp;TTL=49&amp;TSOPT=0&amp;SACK_PERM= 1&amp;IP_TOS=0&amp;IP=68.3.196.247&amp;timestamp=1025125716

Go to forums and ask you questions there. They reply pretty fast, and you may find some one in your area that has experience with the ISP's in LV.

Nostroke
06-26-2002, 03:19 PM
I have DSL- it always works- just about 99% uptime but at times it does seem slow- I dont know if its the sites or the DSL that is slowing things down but still i'd never go back to dial up.