PDA

View Full Version : Any Sport Bike(Crotch Rocker) Owners Here?

Sid_Vicious
11-06-2005, 10:51 AM
Looking to discuss selecting one of these motorcycles. We'll go to PM with this if you'd like. Looking at 1000cc and up. Thanks....sid

moblsv
11-06-2005, 11:04 AM
1000cc is a big bike. I own a 2001 kawasaki zx6 (~600cc) ninja and a 1986 honda vf500 (~500cc) interceptor. I enjoy riding but probably won't be much help in discussing bikes, I haven't really payed much attention over the past 15 years.

Sid_Vicious
11-06-2005, 11:31 AM
Big bike in what way? I guess my mindset is like when i bought my first real motorcycle, a 1000 Suzuki. I went backwards to an 850 later on and regretted it. I am sincerly looking for an opinion, not being combative or self opinionated. Is BIG in reference to the massive power and not necessarily a good thing? I am currently in tune with the 1300 Suzuki cuz it looks and feels like more motorcycle to me than say, the R1. If respected, would you say the biggest, baddest bike is an ok buy for a 25yr bike veteran?

Tia...sid

moblsv
11-06-2005, 12:47 PM
I have nothing against the big bikes, I think it's just a matter of personal preference and cost. When I bought my 500 in '86 I had a group of friends who all raced in the 600cc class and that is really all I've ever spent much time on. I haven't even been on anything over a 600 since I would occasionally ride a friends GSX-R 1100 (i think that's correct) back in the late 80's. If money were no object I would like a bigger bike myself but I've also found that the 600 has all the power I need and I like the agility factor, particularily for riding the canyons.

DebraLiStarr
11-06-2005, 01:31 PM
What the hell is a crotch rocker? Sounds like a personal problem - lol - or a low paying job in Singapore-???

I think the proper term is "crotch rocket"? That sounds funny too. I just thought the title of your post was funny, thats all. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

scottycoyote
11-06-2005, 01:52 PM
well id have to ask what your experience is with bikes.....ive been riding for about 10 years, and own 2 bikes, cbr 1000 and a ninja 9r. The 1000cc class today is just crazy, the difference between a gsxr 600 and 1000 is basically its the same size bike by a few lbs, its all horsepower. Ive been to superbike racing school, done track days, etc, and honestly if you dont have a decent amount of experience dont start out with a 1000cc bike. If you have to have one, get a used one so you wont lose so much money when you wreck it. A few great bikes if you are down on experience a little bit would be an older honda 600 like f2 f3.....suzuki sv650......or maybe go into something a little more dual sport like a beemer or honda vfr 750 if you have to have a bigger bike.
hope this helps

dg-in-centralpa
11-06-2005, 02:41 PM
Sid, Big Bike means size and weight not so much as speed. Since I never rode a crotch rocket only hogs(bikes, that is), my experience is while crotch may have more speed, do you want prestige and value? Harleys hold their value while the crotches drop in value. It's an investment. You can't beat the sound of a Harley with open pipes rumbling down the road. I had a '69 sportster, 900cc with open pipes. Around here, harleys are the elite.

DG - good luck

scottycoyote
11-06-2005, 02:52 PM
well not to start a flame war or anything......but harleys are usually only elite to other harley owners. Personally i woudlnt ride a harley if someone gave me one. While its true they do hold their value better over time, they are alot more to begin with. You can get a 1000cc bike that will never break down, will smoke anything on the road, and is a blast to ride for around 10k. A harley will be alot more, wont perform 1/3 as well, and youre maintenance is usally alot more, especially on the older harleys. Now if you love turning wrenches thats great but id rather ride. Its all personal preference, some people are crusier people, some are sportbike people, some are sports tourer or others. I try to respect and like anyone who rides, to me everybody who rides is cool, because only a certain type of person rides and its like we are all in one big club. The only people i usually have problems with are Harley people they seem to think they are the "elite", and thats always a laugh to me, since they cant keep up, but its all good. ok maybe i did mean to start a flame war lol

dg-in-centralpa
11-06-2005, 03:00 PM
I never rode for speed, just a nice ride in the summer. Cost more to buy and repair? No question. Like I said, it's an investment. I had an old corvette. I rarely raced it on the streets, only a few people knew what it could and couldn't do. I had it to enjoy and drive.

DG - wish I had that corvette back