PDA

View Full Version : AVD ANTI-VIBRATION DESIGN??

rackem
11-07-2005, 03:47 AM
AVD!! DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT IT IS. BS I THINK?? I HAVE SEEN TWO DIFFERENT EBAYERS ADVERTISE IT /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif. THEY SAY IT MAKES THE HIT NOISE AND VIBRATION FREE??

randyg
11-07-2005, 06:05 AM
After sight, sound and feel is all we have left.....SPF-randyg

andrew
11-07-2005, 07:34 AM
I have a cue with "AVD". It does nothing. Why do you always type in caps?

supergreenman
11-07-2005, 10:28 AM
I purchased one of the cues you are talking about from KC cues. To tell you the truth, I haven't got a clue if the AVD does anything. But I do know that for a reasonable price I got an attractive solid hitting cue.

That is untill I had a few too many pints while out with my gf and somehow was convinced it would look better on her than me. Perhaps it was the AVD that made me give it to her. :P

JuddTaylor
11-07-2005, 11:47 AM
I've seen this feature advertised several times as well.

From what I know about physics in general and billiard physics, I would think reducing the vibration of a shaft would be a bad thing.

In general, to reduce vibration on something, engineers usually just make whatever it is very stiff or dampen some specific harmonic resonance they're worried about (but even then, they're still either stiffening it or just adding mass).

From the success of the predator shafts (which reduce the mass drastically at the tip and increase lateral shaft deflection), I would think those companies are going in the wrong direction.

Perhaps somebody who knows a little more about this sort of physics applied specifically to billiard cues (Dr. Dave, maybe) can enlighten us some more on this subject (again, I have only general knowledge in this area).

-Judd

rackem
11-07-2005, 12:10 PM
what kind of cue? is it a stainless joint? what kind of noise does it make. does it have a layer tip?
i use caps so i don't forget to use caps. i find it easier.
truly sorry if it bothers you! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

supergreenman
11-07-2005, 12:33 PM
The cue I bought had a stainless steel joint, I was under the impression that the inlaid index rings had something to do wiht the AVD, but I really don't know. It came with a WB(water buffalo) tip. I put a triangle tip on it. It made a very satisfying snap when it made contact with the cb.

sighs.... I miss that cue.

hondo
11-08-2005, 11:07 AM
I bought the other avd cue---- Deangelo , and I
like it. Nice looking, hits good, cheap, but,
also like you, supergreen, I ended up giving it
to my woman. LOL.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote supergreenman:</font><hr> The cue I bought had a stainless steel joint, I was under the impression that the inlaid index rings had something to do wiht the AVD, but I really don't know. It came with a WB(water buffalo) tip. I put a triangle tip on it. It made a very satisfying snap when it made contact with the cb.

sighs.... I miss that cue. <hr /></blockquote>

supergreenman
11-08-2005, 11:43 AM
Sighs, what suckers we are. Easy putty for womens fingers.

Those Deangelo cues are quite attractive, I was considering getting one, but I think I'm going to save up for a lucasi with a preditor shaft. (the greater the expense the greater the reluctance to give it away to a pretty face) /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

rackem
11-08-2005, 06:26 PM
DID YOUR CUE HAVE A 11 LAYERED TIP? MY FRIENDS CUE HAD A VERY HARD REGULAR TIP. HE HAD IT REPLACE. IT HITS MUCH BETTER NOW. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

supergreenman
11-08-2005, 06:48 PM
no, a "triangle" brand tip is a single layer tip, often used for jump cues, I use them on my regular cue. really good control.

MacGyver
11-08-2005, 07:47 PM
offtopic, but that caps thing annoys the hell out of me too.

Its the internet equivilent of shouting, and basically makes myself and others completly ignore your post because its an eyesore.

rackem
11-08-2005, 11:27 PM
offtopic annoys the heck out of me. I AM A ONE HANDED TYPER AND ITS EASIER FOR ME. IF ALL CAPS BOTHERS YOU THEN BY GOSH DON'T READ IT. THIS ISN'T GRAMMAR CLASS! WE ARE TALKING POOL HERE. SORRY? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SPetty
11-09-2005, 10:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackem:</font><hr> offtopic annoys the heck out of me. I AM A ONE HANDED TYPER AND ITS EASIER FOR ME. IF ALL CAPS BOTHERS YOU THEN BY GOSH DON'T READ IT. THIS ISN'T GRAMMAR CLASS! WE ARE TALKING POOL HERE. SORRY? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>Well, all caps isn't a grammar issue. You just affirmed the point that MacGyver was making - if people pass by your post because the caps lock make it difficult to read, then you won't get the proper attention or feedback.

It really is considered shouting and rude, unless you are really intending to shout. There are a lot of people who use no caps at all, like in your previous post, and although that may be irritating to those of us who prefer sentence case, it really is a whole lot less irritating than all caps. BTW - I notice that you used ! and ? - those symbols require the shift key, so it's not totally out of the question to use the shift key once per sentence, is it?

But really, it would nice to tone down the shouting a bit.

To others reading: Please don't accuse me of being any kind of post police. I am simply trying to help the guy out.

hondo
11-09-2005, 11:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackem:</font><hr> DID YOUR CUE HAVE A 11 LAYERED TIP? MY FRIENDS CUE HAD A VERY HARD REGULAR TIP. HE HAD IT REPLACE. IT HITS MUCH BETTER NOW. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, but my tip worked fine. I bought a Quest where
the tip miscued everytime. Replaced it with a Moori
&amp; now I have a pretty good stick. BUT... no problem
with the Deangelo. He's starting to do inlaid work
now, good guy to deal with.

hondo
11-09-2005, 11:21 AM
WHAT? COULD YOU SPEAK UP, SONNY? I CAN"T HEAR YOU
VERY WELL.

rackem
11-09-2005, 11:32 AM
i do defer, i find it a lot harder to read no caps than all caps! i can reach the ? and ! easily with one hand. actually what i find most annoying is all the extra moniker and pictures that come along with some peoples posts everytime. REAL NICE ROOM. IF YOU DON'T MIND ME SHOUTING ABOUT IT. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

SPetty
11-09-2005, 12:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackem:</font><hr>REAL NICE ROOM. IF YOU DON'T MIND ME SHOUTING ABOUT IT. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>HAHAHAHA! Thanks! You're funny!

Just curious, do you play pool one-handed?