PDA

View Full Version : Who goes to Pool School??

wolfdancer
11-07-2005, 01:02 PM
There's been some nice accolades for Randy's school posted here, by two recent students....but, then you have to guess, how good were they before they took the course.
Is the praise just because he showed them the Vardon grip, and which end to chalk up, or....?
Joepool (Tom) was a pretty good player before he went there....a 90 rating in the USPPA system, where the mean avg is 55.
So he either learned a lot of new info, on top of what he already knew......or Randy is a Master Hypnotist, that brainwashes his students into believing that they have been exposed to Pool's Rosetta Stone

randyg
11-07-2005, 05:30 PM
Jezzz, I never thought of that one...Thanks. Who said you can't learn off this forum????SPF-randyg...you are now getting very sleeeeepy.....

pooltchr
11-07-2005, 06:31 PM
So THAT'S why the class has to chant SAM SAM SAM for 10 minutes each day! Brilliant! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Steve

In response to the original post, I was a pretty fair player when I went to Randy. I will admit I didn't expect to learn a lot...after all, I had over 30 years experience and a few trophys under my belt. What I learned literally blew me away! My game jumped at least two levels within a few months of attending the class. This spring, I went back for the expert class, wondering just how much more there was to learn. I FOUND OUT!!!

I guess what I have learned is that I don't know how much I don't know about pool! But I can tell you this...When Randy develops the next level of class, I will be one of the first to attend!

Steve
Still learning...

Rich R.
11-07-2005, 07:39 PM
Wolfdancer, I can only tell you "who goes to Pool School" from my experience.

When I attended, I believe there were about 10 students in the class. Out of that, there were a couple of beginners, including one young student. IIRC, he was 12 or 14.
There were also a couple of advanced players, including one student who was going to become an instructor.
The remainder of the students in the class, including myself, fell somewhere in between. If numbers mean anything to you, I am an SL-6 in the APA (8-ball) league in my area.

Randy is an excellent instructor and no one was boared and no one was lost. Everyone learned and left the class better for the experience.

How much you improve and at what pace depends a lot on how dedicated you are at doing the drills and practicing the methods taught in the class. I freely admit that I am terrible at doing drills. However, I do try to practice the methods. Without doing the drills, I'm sure my progress is slower than others, but there is progress.

As for results,
I can only tell you that in the summer session of my APA league, I was 11- 1 /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

scottycoyote
11-07-2005, 09:42 PM
well ill chime in since i was one of the pool school posters. Personally im considered an a- b+ in my home room when im on.....primarily a 9ball player and ive run a bunch of 3 packs and a 5 pack once. Ive read everything i could get my hands on about pool, bought videos, teaching gadgets.....i would say im pretty pool knowledgeable and ive been playing off and on for about 8 years total. I dont play leagues so i dont have a score for you. So Im not pro material but I know which end to chalk definitely.

wolfdancer
11-07-2005, 11:29 PM
Steve, that's the impression that i got from Tom. He had been showing me some things in the past...I changed my setup and stance, because of him...so I was amazed at Tom's glowing report after day one...and then day two and three...
I guess, I don't know what I don't know....about the game.

randyg
11-08-2005, 05:48 AM
SAM-SAM-SAM-SAM.

Criss-cross apple sauce. Pool School is the Boss!

littleCajun
11-08-2005, 08:16 AM
I think the answer to your question is a life long question. Do I want to be content at where I am at or do I wish to gain all the knowledge that I can and continue to grow.

This applies to just more than pool. If you think you have arrived then you have arrived at your final destination.

As far as the school goes. Allison Fisher did go thrue Randy's school. She did come to get certified as a BCA instructor. But at the end of the day, She even learned some new knowledge and went straight back to a table and worked on it for an hour.

Those who come to the school are those who are not contempt with where they are at.

Great progress can be made when you stand on the shoulders of giants.

veager
11-08-2005, 08:30 AM
Speaking of Pool School, are there any near NE Ohio or western PA?

John

catscradle
11-08-2005, 08:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> Jezzz, I never thought of that one...Thanks. Who said you can't learn off this forum????SPF-randyg...you are now getting very sleeeeepy..... <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, Randy, I was wondering why I'd get calls in the middle of the night telling me to take out a pack of cards and go thru them. When I got to the Queen of Spades, I get up in a daze and immediately go out and play jam-up pool.
Steve. &lt;- The pool Mancharian Candidate.

BTW, I am getting sleepy, but that happens everyday about this time.

catscradle
11-08-2005, 08:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> There's been some nice accolades for Randy's school posted here, by two recent students....but, then you have to guess, how good were they before they took the course.
Is the praise just because he showed them the Vardon grip, and which end to chalk up, or....?
Joepool (Tom) was a pretty good player before he went there....a 90 rating in the USPPA system, where the mean avg is 55.
So he either learned a lot of new info, on top of what he already knew......or Randy is a Master Hypnotist, that brainwashes his students into believing that they have been exposed to Pool's Rosetta Stone <hr /></blockquote>

I went to Randy's pool school in CT. I believe from private correspondence with Randy that is wasn't his best presentation for various reasons. Nevertheless, I left there with my style of play greatly changed, and my game went up a level from an APA 5 to an APA 6. Now it may be a coincidence or it may be pool school, I think pool school. I wasn't and still aren't a fan of SAM as aiming is maybe the strongest part of my game and I don't want to screw with it (incidentally my aiming was honed with one of HAL's systems, but not SAM which was derived from another of his systems).
When all is said and done, I give Randy a definitive thumbs up.

Eric.
11-08-2005, 09:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> SAM-SAM-SAM-SAM.

Criss-cross apple sauce. Pool School is the Boss! <hr /></blockquote>

Isn't the whole concept of SAM derived from one of Hal's systems that he taught you, Randy?

I like Hal's systems. They give you a solid foundation and great reference point for aiming.

Eric

Snapshot9
11-08-2005, 10:12 AM
Those that want to buy better cues, but feel like they
have to be a better player first ... lol

As far as hypnosis, I am willing to bet that after you
got them in a trance with their eyes closed, and told
them to get down on their knees with their mouth open,
that 99 out of a 100 would wake up fast ... lol
and you had better run from the other one ... LMAO

Sid_Vicious
11-08-2005, 10:44 AM
"Those that want to buy better cues, but feel like they
have to be a better player first"

I've never ever understood that mindset. I have a good friend of mine who has said this many times, and I just shake my head. If I had to justify buying new cues by adding $600 for PS ahead of it, I'd own far less cues than I own today. If I like a cue, and it's expensive, I'll buy it and I WILL NOT resist playing with it, and my game sucks every other day if not more at times. Life is too short and unpredictable to not have what you desire along it's path...sid

randyg
11-08-2005, 04:04 PM
ERIC: SAM is indeed a Hal product. Streamlined and under as new name it's still Houle.

randyg
11-08-2005, 04:06 PM
CATSCRADLE: It's the Queen of Hearts. Don't lose me a $100.

Alfie
11-08-2005, 04:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> ... aiming is maybe the strongest part of my game and I don't want to screw with it (incidentally my aiming was honed with one of HAL's systems, ... <hr /></blockquote>How does that one work?

catscradle
11-09-2005, 05:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> ... aiming is maybe the strongest part of my game and I don't want to screw with it (incidentally my aiming was honed with one of HAL's systems, ... <hr /></blockquote>How does that one work? <hr /></blockquote>

I understood what Hal wanted me to do when we were talking on the phone and can use it, but I don't know that I can explain it well enough to understand. The key to this particular Hal system is lining up a half ball hit while bringing the cue down to either the right or the left side of center ball. It is hard to explain which I guess is why Hal doesn't post a written explaination. If you call him (he posts his number periodically whether you want it or not /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif) he could explain it especially if you're at a table when you call.
I don't conciously use this system anymore, I just get into position and I'm lined up generally. However, I feel I'm still using the system just not thinking about it. Maybe it's all in my head. Call Hal, you might find it worthwhile just for the war stories from the old days.

catscradle
11-09-2005, 05:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> CATSCRADLE: It's the Queen of Hearts. Don't lose me a $100. <hr /></blockquote>

I may need a follow-up session then, I'm reacting to the Queen of Spades. Maybe that explains why my game isn't perfect.

randyg
11-09-2005, 05:47 AM
CATSCRADLE: Practice-play-practice........sleeeepy.

scottycoyote
11-09-2005, 08:20 AM
im still fitting SAM into my game but there are a few particular shots I used to be weak on and with SAM thats all changed. You know the shot where you have the cueball down at the bottom of the table maybe a diamond off the rail and the object ball is a foot or so away but you have to cut it in, maybe 20 to 45 degrees into one of the top corner pockets. I used to have the worst time with these type shots and now with SAM i just rocket them into the pocket. The only time SAM seems to let me down is thin cuts down the long rail into the corners, something in my aiming is off and i revert back to my old aiming on those.

wolfdancer
11-09-2005, 09:08 AM
Randy, i'm also thinking you might be using black magic. Tom went there, with what i thought was a pretty good stroke, and now in an email, he tells me...he is getting "too much" action from his new stroke...overdrawing, etc....I'm sure when he dials it in...his game will get even better.
I should be so lucky...too much stroke.
I might have to come down there and check it out...I'll bring a Priest along for protection...just in case

randyg
11-09-2005, 03:59 PM
I have not "snapped" my fingers yet. Tom will then awake from the Pool School trance. All eyes are waiting to see which Tom will appear.

QUOTE from a student: " I was in DEAD STROKE once. For one shot!"

Now I'm getting sleepy......randyg