PDA

View Full Version : More important: Cue but or Shaft?

PeteW
11-08-2005, 07:36 PM
I am in the market for a new cue after not shooting for a few years and I need some advice.
I have just under $200 to spend.

I was looking at the pawn shop by my house and found a JCI "sneaky pete" cue with a Predator 314 shaft and standard steel joint that is a wood to wood connection for $199 in good condition.

My question is if I should be looking for a better all around cue used or online for $200 or go for the lesser cue with a great shaft that I know I like. Unfortunately the pawn shop will not let take the cue to try out a few games, so I need opinions here.

Thank you,
Pete

P.S. This forum has been a great learning resource and I hope I can contribute some information as well in the future.

Bassn7
11-08-2005, 10:08 PM
The shaft is everything. A $10 butt with a million dollar shaft plays like a million dollars. Whenever I get a new shaft, my cue is brand new again.
PS. The joint must be tight though.

dave
11-09-2005, 08:07 AM
If your priority is playability, then it's the shaft that's all important. If your concern is resale value or collectibility then the butt becomes more important. Since you've only got $200 to spend then the quality shaft is probably most important. JMO

supergreenman
11-09-2005, 08:11 AM
As far as I'm concerned you can put a good shaft on the end of a broomstick and run a rack. buy the cue at the pawn shop.

James

PHJ314
11-09-2005, 09:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote supergreenman:</font><hr> As far as I'm concerned you can put a good shaft on the end of a broomstick and run a rack. buy the cue at the pawn shop.

James <hr /></blockquote>

I agree....don't even think twice! Buy that cue before someone else snatches up the good deal!

MrLucky
11-09-2005, 11:17 AM
Well its like this, as in dating you can find / have the prettiest butt in the world but if your shafts no good it will be a bad experience! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ceebee
11-09-2005, 11:39 AM
If you don't want to buy the cue, please send me the company name, so I can buy the cue. IF the shaft is straight &amp; the ferrule is in good condition, the cue will be worth at least $200 'til the world is flat.

PeteW
11-09-2005, 08:20 PM
I went back to the pawn shop today to try and take the cue around the corner to hit a few balls with it, but it was nowhere to be found.

I think I did find a pechaur cue at a local cue store I am going to pick up though. The flex in the shaft seemed to work great with my natural aiming and subconcious correction for it.

rackem
11-09-2005, 11:30 PM
You probably made the best move. When you buy a stick in a pawn shop you never know when the real owner is going to hit you over the head and take it back. There could be bad karma! Pechauer makes a nice cue. you'll be happy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif