PDA

View Full Version : falcon or mcdermott?

dazednconfused
11-08-2005, 08:18 PM
I'm a novice and and I play quite a bit. I'm looking for a new cue for $200 to $300 and I'm looking at falcon or mcdermott. Which is better?

sneakypapi
11-08-2005, 09:15 PM
They are both good cues, Falcon is Canadian and McDermott is American, sometimes that helps certain people make up their mind. Most Falcons are steel joint cues with a 5/16 x 14 thread. On the other hand, McDermotts have a few joint choices many of them being a plastic collar 3/8 x 10 pin, so you will have to see what type of hit you like. The price range you mentioned you can get a really nice plain wood cue or one with a few basic point designs, so you will have to see how fancy of a cue you will want.

MrLucky
11-09-2005, 11:23 AM
I have owned both Falcons and McDermotts! The wood to wood McDermotts are the best hitting cues for the money available IMO! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

hondo
11-09-2005, 11:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MrLucky:</font><hr> I have owned both Falcons and McDermotts! The wood to wood McDermotts are the best hitting cues for the money available IMO! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I bought a $935 MSRP new Mc Dermott Sierra on EBAY
for around $300 &amp; it hits as good as any custom
cue I have.

Rich R.
11-09-2005, 11:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dazednconfused:</font><hr> I'm a novice and and I play quite a bit. I'm looking for a new cue for $200 to $300 and I'm looking at falcon or mcdermott. Which is better? <hr /></blockquote>
Choosing pool cues is a very personal thing. I may think one is better while the next guy may think the other one is better.
If possible, hit some balls with both.
The cue that feels best to you, is the better choice.

supergreenman
11-09-2005, 11:49 AM
$200-$300 will get you in the range of a lot of quality cues out there. Shop around, don't get stuck on one or 2 name brands. I assume there is no big rush in getting yourself a cue, go down to your local pool room and try out what some of your buddies there have first. I think it's also worth while looking on E-bay there is a huge selection of quality cues and reputable sellers there.

James

James

Scott Lee
11-10-2005, 12:10 PM
One thing about buying a new McDermott (either from them, or an authorized dealer), is that the cue is guaranteed for life, by the manufacturer...and McDermott has been around for 30+ yrs already! Don't be fooled by the 'country of origin'. Both Falcon and McDermott have lots of cues manufactured in China, and imported to be sold under their respective names. That doesn't necessarily mean the cues are not good playing cues, either.

Scott Lee

Sid_Vicious
11-10-2005, 12:36 PM
"Both Falcon and McDermott have lots of cues manufactured in China"

I'd simply buy a Lucasi. Cheaper cost and plays as well or better(IMO) sid

Scott Lee
11-10-2005, 01:12 PM
sid...You know Lucasi is made in China too, right?

Scott

Deeman3
11-10-2005, 01:24 PM
I owner a Falcon I picked up in Germany a few years ago and, while it was never my main playing cue, I found it to be a very good cue. I actually sold it a few months ago in Texas for more than I had in it. That's unusual for me..

Deeman

supergreenman
11-10-2005, 02:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>
I'd simply buy a Lucasi. Cheaper cost and plays as well or better(IMO) sid <hr /></blockquote>

The nice thing about Lucasi too is that they come with the uni-lock joint so you can put a preditor shaft on it with little problems.

James

Sid_Vicious
11-10-2005, 03:16 PM
When you factor in all of the things including the unilock, the price of these cues is very appealing for someone seeking a good hitting cue to fit a budget. I'm surprised to not see more Lucasi cues around than I do...sid

Deeman3
11-10-2005, 03:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> When you factor in all of the things including the unilock, the price of these cues is very appealing for someone seeking a good hitting cue to fit a budget. I'm surprised to not see more Lucasi cues around than I do...sid <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Sid,

I think, therefore I am, that these cues are not aspopular because people can't prounounce to name eaasily. I I've heard them called Loocoosy, Lucasy, lucosy, It's just too hard for some guys to say.... </font color>

sneakypapi
11-10-2005, 09:39 PM
I am not too sure that McDermott would advertise "American Made" if they import cues with their name on from China. I could be wrong. Anyway, cues made in China or other spots overseas can be good cues, it all depends on the tooling and quality control. I can tell you that Players and Lucasi both made by the same manufacture are some of the straightest cues I have seen on the market. That is saying alot considering some cues retail for the sub 100 dollar range. Another factor is the price ratio to what you get, you can get a pretty fancy cue for about $250-$300 with decent quality and straight even points (even though they are CNC made which means closer tolerances than any human can make. Of course, the hit of the Lucasi with the standard shaft has been known to be just OK not great.

sneakypapi
11-10-2005, 09:47 PM
Just for curiousity I went to McDermott's site and will quote this:

"McDermott equipment is rooted in performance, using the latest technology in a state-of-the-art facility and utilizing the finest materials available. As always, McDermott cues are made in the U.S.A.

If made overseas then that would be false advertising.

rackem
11-10-2005, 10:09 PM
I thought hard to pronounce made a cue more popular. You know like MUSCHI and the other hundred ways I have heard it. Lucasi is just Lucas the owners name plus the i
When it comes to non custom made mass produce cues you can have two of the same cue that won't hit the same so you really should not just go by the name. Heck there are no logo China cues that hit every bit as well as any of the aforementioned cues. Later, /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif CAPS!

rackem
11-10-2005, 10:30 PM
McDermott I am not sure either if all the main logo is made here. Although I would think some of their off brand stuff is imported. I believe Falcon is a Canadian company that manufacters in China. Does anybody know who makes the butt of a Predator cue? /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gifCAPS

Sid_Vicious
11-11-2005, 07:24 AM
Balabushka, need I say more? Lucasi ain't that hard. Even Moori has about as many rendetions of wrongness. jm2c...sid

Deeman3
11-11-2005, 08:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Balabushka, need I say more? Lucasi ain't that hard. Even Moori has about as many rendetions of wrongness. jm2c...sid <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Sid,

Yep, but you know I have a buska and I think anyone who can't say that right has no business in this sport/hobby/obsession. I just don't happen to ahve th guts to shoot with mine anymore./ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif </font color>

For the record, I do think the Loooocaaaaasiiii is a good choice.

deeman
hoping my grandson will like the stick one day.....not sell it for a fortune...

Sid_Vicious
11-11-2005, 08:43 AM
Walter Hawley of Hawley's Billiardstore was the first one I heard pronounce it differently than you and I, he calls it Looocahhhsee. I figure since he sells the things he might know more, but I seldom say it any differently than you and I do today. On another term, Yahoo. It is simply Ya-hooo to me, but I've heard it repeatedly pronounced Y-aye-hoo. Go figure...sid

SPetty
11-11-2005, 08:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackem:</font><hr> /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gifCAPS <hr /></blockquote>Two in a row! Looking good! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Deeman3
11-11-2005, 08:56 AM
Sid,

That reminds me of a guy in Memphis who told Bob Meucci how to prounounce his own name! Of course this clown got it wrong. In the guys defense, Bob has changed the way he says it from the way he did 30 years ago...

MrLucky
11-12-2005, 08:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> "Both Falcon and McDermott have lots of cues manufactured in China"

I'd simply buy a Lucasi. Cheaper cost and plays as well or better(IMO) sid <hr /></blockquote>

I am not sure you are correct about McDermott manufacturing or buying cues in China ! Ive been to their factory tour !you may want to visit their website before saying that! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

dazednconfused
11-12-2005, 06:50 PM
The mcdermott I'm looking at buying is used and has seen alot of tourny's (even beatin alex pagulyon twice while he was champ!).It's 19oz interchangeable weight bolt system and was sold through dufferin.

stephen_joyce
11-14-2005, 06:05 AM
Why dont you buy the one that plays best for you and not rely on other peoples recomendations.
Why pay so much ? You are only paying for the decoration, why not go for the cheaper model, it does not follow that the more expensive the cue the better it plays.
Regards
SJ