PDA

View Full Version : Any advice on buying a longer cue?

militon
11-10-2005, 05:48 AM
Hi all. 10x for reading this, and for any replys.
I've been playing some pool, and I've arrived to that point where you feel you need your own cue. However, I'm rather tall, and a good cue size for me would be around 62". I've looked around for a while, and most cues are 58". I don't have a lot of money, so those 200$+ custom cues are really ot of my league. My ideal cue would be a cue that's, say, 63" long, is treated against warping (i don't want to have to buy a new one in a couple of years) and has a price unde 100$. Thankyou for any advice you can give me.

9ball_master
11-10-2005, 06:31 AM
No such thing !!!!
there is no such thing as a decent cue and that has been treated against warping and cost $100 !!! you want all this and you want a longer cue.... wake up and do some online "window shopping"
there are some production cue makers that will do a 60" cue but it will cost over $200.

Sorry if I came a bit harsh, but really it's hard to find a decent shaft for under $100, not to mention a full cue

Cane
11-10-2005, 06:46 AM
Exactly how tall are you? I mean, I'm 6'4" tall and have LONG arms (wear an 18-38 long sleeve shirt) and I have played most of my life with a standard cue. I do own one 60" cue, and that's plenty long enough for me. I don't even KNOW anyone that uses longer than a 60" cue.

BTW, 1st response was right. you're probably not going to find a "good" over length cue for $100. If you're that serious about a good cue, just save your money for awhile and buy something that fits you and that you want to keep for a long time.

Later,
Bob

militon
11-10-2005, 08:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> Exactly how tall are you? I mean, I'm 6'4" tall and have LONG arms (wear an 18-38 long sleeve shirt) and I have played most of my life with a standard cue. I do own one 60" cue, and that's plenty long enough for me. I don't even KNOW anyone that uses longer than a 60" cue. <hr /></blockquote>

I'm 6'3", and I also have long arms. I suppose height isn't all that counts. I've grown up a little lately. I used to play with a 59" cue, and now that I got bigger, I'd like a bigger cue /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. Anyway, I suppose something like 60" should do, but I would like a cue I didn't have to hold by the very end.

Pricewise, what do you people think about this cue? I'd like your opinions, pls. 10x
http://www.schmelkecue.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_63&amp;products_id=133&amp;osCsid =c2dd1c9ae1e8fc3b45db7068439889a8

Fran Crimi
11-10-2005, 09:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote militon:</font><hr>
Pricewise, what do you people think about this cue? I'd like your opinions, pls. 10x
http://www.schmelkecue.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_63&amp;products_id=133&amp;osCsid =c2dd1c9ae1e8fc3b45db7068439889a8
<hr /></blockquote>

That's a good cue for you to experiment with, particularly since they offer different shaft lengths. But keep in mind that the balance point on the cue will move forward slightly by adding a longer shaft. JMO, but sure, go ahead and play with the Schmelke for awhile to see how you feel about the length and then somewhere down the line---maybe a year or so---if you want to get more serious about your game, you shoud consider having a custom cue made to your length specifications. The cuemaker will take the extra length into consideration when balancing the cue. You'll get more than your $100 worth if you use the Schmelke for a year.

Fran

Scott Lee
11-10-2005, 11:46 AM
Another plus about Schmelke...I used to think Schmelke cues were crap...for years...until I visited their factory in WI, with the BCA kid's cue campers, 10 years ago. It is a CLASS act, and over 100 steps go into every cue. Also, their cues are very budget priced, for all the work that goes into them. I agree with Fran, that this cue would definitely serve your purpose. Schmelke has several joint choice options too, if you have them build you a cue!
Hats off to the Schmelke folks!

Scott Lee

randyg
11-10-2005, 01:23 PM
My God, I had to reread that post. Scott agreed with Fran (something unusual) and so do I. Maybe there is something to this Instructor thing.....SPF-randyg

Deeman3
11-10-2005, 02:17 PM
I am 6'3" and weight about 280 lbs. Yes, I do qualify as a Buba...However, I started the 1970's with a then 57" "Standard" cue and then went to the nwerer 58" "standard. Like Cane, I found this to be too short. I then went to a 60" cue and found that was not near long enough. A custom cue maker, "Dingo, the Wonder Man" made my first 82" cue. I have to say, this is great. We are now working on a 102" model so I won't even have to get my fat ass off the stool to shoot!

Cane and I have thrown about the idea that if we can get them in metrics, we might be able to even shoot from home without leaving the comfort of our easy chairs if the proper "smart" tip is developed by Spiderman in time. Of course, the case for this has to be custom made and a few of us are working on this as we speak....

Deeman
Yep, I'm bored....

Cane
11-10-2005, 02:43 PM
LMAO, Dee... that was great, and rendered a much needed laugh after a long day!

Thanks,
Bob