PDA

View Full Version : Cue makers, ferrule question

Rod
06-25-2002, 02:09 AM
I need to replace a ferrule on my Schon. I should have taken notes a while back on them. I want one the same Ivory color. Hardness is a factor so it doesn't scratch easily or get colored by chalk. So what say you? Thanks

stickman
06-25-2002, 06:45 AM
What you want is a ferrule from the thermoset group. (not thermoplastic)

Thermoset Plastics: This type of plastic consists of a resin to impregnate either paper, linen or glass fibers, that is then heated under pressure to create cylindrical rods that can be cut into ferrules. This category includes popular ferrule materials such as: Aegis, Ivorene, Linen Phenolic, Linen Melamine, Paper Phenolic, Epoxy Glass fiber, etc. Most of these materials were originally designed as electrical insulators and have been adapted for use as ferrules over the years. The main advantage of these materials are: ease of machining, ease of bonding with a variety of adhesives, and all take an excellent polish, with a high hardness that resists scratching. The main disadvantage of most of these materials is brittleness.

This information is from an article by Tony Mathews.

Troy
06-25-2002, 08:50 AM
Hi Rod... Stickman wins the prize for the first correct answer..... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

06-25-2002, 09:05 AM
Everything you said was exactly right. I might add a small foot note. Because of these little pieces of string like fiber, they will collect chalk like a magnet & are very hard to clean. Because of their hardness they tend to give your Q a harder sound & hit. I use ferrules from the thermoplastic group because they give my BLACK HEART Qs the hit I want & they resist discoloring & are easy to clean...JER

BLACKHEART
06-25-2002, 09:09 AM
I forgot to sign in...JER

stickman
06-25-2002, 09:25 AM
The thermoplastics are generally less expensive but more durable. That's what's on my cue now. Personally, I liked the thermoset ferrule I had previously. It had a much higher polish. I thought it looked better and had a more solid hit. I didn't notice it being any harder to clean, but I'm sure it's possible that was the case. My thermoplastic is scratched up and holds chalk terribly. When I change again, I'm going back to a thermoset. Since I don't break with my shooting cue, and don't let my tips get too short, I'm not real worried about the brittleness.

Q-guy
06-25-2002, 11:23 AM
There is another step in choosing the material. This stuff is made two ways. Stripped, or rolled. In stripped the material is made in sheets and cut and turned. With rolled the material is formed around a mandrel like a roll of paper towel. You can see the difference if you look at the end with a magnifier. I bet if you ask the supplier they would not even know what they have. The striped because of the way it is made would seem to have a tendency to split but it is more them strong enough to stand up to playing pool. It is what I buy and I have never had a problem. If you are having a problem with it not staying clean you most likely have rolled. With the rolled, the weave is exposed all the way around the surface of the ferrule. The holes in the weave seems to never be completely filled with resin and picks up chalk that is hard to clean. This does not happen with the stripped.

Rod
06-25-2002, 12:45 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. I am interested in color and I didn't see an answer. I'm told Schon uses a "special" ferrule. Does aegis or ivorene match that color? I went to one pro shop here, he had two rods. I believe one was aegis but neither seemed to match, they were to white. I'll have to call and check what everyone has in stock. I just need to know what to ask for, especially if I had to order over the internet. When you guys replace a ferrule, do you match the taper? I'm being a little critical but my shaft is 13-1/4 mm with a conical taper. It gets fat in a hurry and a straight cut may look a little strange? If it becomes a problem I'll just send it to Schon. I have 3 more and a snooker shaft but this shaft is my favorite, mostly because of the wood grain. Thanks again

Rod
06-26-2002, 01:08 AM
Just bringing this to the top, in hope of an answer.

SpiderMan
06-27-2002, 11:03 AM
Rod,

If you have an older cue, it could be that the material has yellowed with age and won't be matched well by new material of the same composition.

The Atlas catalog has color pictures of various cuemaking materials. I don't think I've seen the same pictures online at their web site.

SpiderMan

Rod
06-27-2002, 10:12 PM
It is an ivory color from the factory. I checked Atlas and they don't show colors on the web site. A friend told me of a guy in town that does have most of those rods to make ferrules. I'll call him tommorrow, the tips should be in this week. I just did not want a white ferrule.

stickman
06-28-2002, 08:53 AM
Here's an e-mail addy that might help you, schoncue@ameritech.net
It is from the Schon website.

I'm sure they should be able to assist you with the replacement ferrule. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

SpiderMan
06-28-2002, 09:12 AM
Rod,

That's what I was saying, the pictures are not on the web site. But if you get their catalog, there are lots of color pictures of the various ferrule, joint, inlay, etc, materials. I'll try to remember this weekend and get out my catalog. If I can tell which material is more yellow, I'll email you.

SpiderMan

TomBrooklyn
08-16-2002, 02:41 PM
Quote: stickman:Thermoset Plastics: This type of plastic consists of a resin to impregnate either paper, linen or glass fibers. This category includes popular ferrule materials such as: Aegis, Ivorene, Linen Phenolic, Linen Melamine, Paper Phenolic, Epoxy Glass fiber, etc.

Jim, I think I had that article from Tony but can't find it now. I wonder what the difference is between all the thermosets you mention. I believe a thermoset ferrule will be appropriate for my secret super-hard hitting jump/break cue, but I don't know which one to use. I would like to get a hard one to provide the greatest impact and a kind that doesn't get clogged with chalk easily. =TB=

TomBrooklyn
08-16-2002, 02:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Q-guy:</font><hr> You can see the difference if you look at the end with a magnifier. <hr></blockquote>Joe, do you mean to look at the end of the ferrule or look anywhere on the shaft of the ferrule. I want to avoid the chalk collecting type. -TB

ted harris
08-16-2002, 03:38 PM
In my experience, thermoplastics are not even close to being as durable as thermosets.