PDA

View Full Version : So, I was playing in a local tournament last night

loyter
11-11-2005, 04:07 PM
When this guy came in and asked if I play for money. He was looking for a money game. We ended up playing $20/rack 8-ball, and I ended up $160 ahead. He kept missing little rattlers and catching nipples on the side pockets. Honestly, I was expecting him to "flip the switch" and really bury me, but he never did. I didn't know what to think.

Either he has too much money and needs to spend it. (think Brewster's Millions) or last night was part of a bigger hustle.

Have any of you ever seen a hustle that involves walking out for a day or week before the big payoff? That seems a little strange.

Also, I have noticed that there isn't much talk of gambling and hustling on this board. Is that because you all don't do it, or because it is a taboo subject?

9ball_master
11-11-2005, 04:36 PM
I think that gambling in billiard is bad for the sport, it gives it a bad name.
If players wish to get more recognition and to make more money in the long run and make this sport an olympic sport then they should stop gambling

randyg
11-11-2005, 04:48 PM
Gambling has very little to do with pool.

Gamblers usually will gamble at most anything if they think they got the nuts. Golf, Bowling and cards come to mind along with pitching coins and Texas Hold-Em. It's a way of all sports not just pool....randyg

Bob_Jewett
11-11-2005, 04:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote loyter:</font><hr>... Have any of you ever seen a hustle that involves walking out for a day or week before the big payoff? That seems a little strange.
... <hr /></blockquote>
I think the best road players never took that chance. What happens if word gets back to you before the delayed match?

When I was a sophomore in school, there was a new freshman who came in to the Student Union in September, and started losing to many of the regulars. He often wore a bright yellow shirt, which got him the nickname "Goldfish." After a couple of weeks, he pulled his trap, but as I recall he didn't work it very well and didn't get back much more than he had invested. He could run 30-40 balls on a good day, and could have strung us along for quite a while by missing more.

I think he took up card playing and pro skiing prior to graduation.

randyg
11-12-2005, 07:07 AM
Hey Bob, I think that guy went to my College Student Union also. Little guy, we called him "guppy" until (when the game was right) he ran out for the cash. Then we just called him lucky. Found out later he made all the Student Unions in the area......randyg

Fran Crimi
11-12-2005, 09:03 AM
Suggestion: Don't play the guy again until you get a line on him---meaning, find out if he's local or if anyone knows him. If he says something like he's been transfered by his company from another city or if he's in town on business, it should be a red flag for you, especially because he seemed to just barely miss so many shots, and just showed up out of nowhere asking you to play for money.

It happens all the time.

I watched a guy win 100k that way. We had a local player with big money who only gambled big. He wasn't very good but he was a smart game-maker and he won a lot. So, one of the local guys imported someone from another city to get this big money player. The import, claiming to have just transfered from another city, shilled for a month. Lost to weaker players and dropped 100 to 500 at a time, all the while, the big money player standing at the rail watching the import play.

After a month, the big money guy decided it was safe to ask for a match, and so it began. Over the course of 6 weeks, the import nailed the big money player for 100k. One day, the import stopped coming around. Never saw him again. Word was he went back to where he came from.

Gun for hire.

You may have been benefiting from a shill move, but it's the unwritten rule (or at least it used to be) that you try to keep local money in town. People keep playing each other with the same money and it gets distributed around. Once it leaves the town, it's gone for good.

Fran

Sid_Vicious
11-12-2005, 11:36 AM
Hang around, we do talk gambling from time to time. To me, 9-ball or any game for that matter, without a little "something" on the side is rather meaningless unless you are only in an organized event. I respect the opinion that gambling might negatively flavor the public to our sport, but personally I find playing for a little money as a good cheap tester of oneself under pressure. Besides, the players I win and lose to are people I don't mind tossing money at anyway. Over time the cash gets returned anyway, as long as you don't let your balls get bigger than your stick or refuse to quit when you get stuck. Getting stuck is a good thing to IMO. When you can fight back to even after getting down 5 or more sets is quite the measure of your "heart" in this world of billiards. I've personally played 12-14 hours straight to get only $20 or lose $20, while not noticing it was 2am in the morning. There is a value to knowing you can push yourself beyond your physical and mental capacities like that. It is IMHO cheap pool lessons to "play for a little"..sid

Snapshot9
11-13-2005, 02:23 PM
I started gambling as soon as I felt I was a decent player,
even if for a dollar a game. I am an old money player that
gradually later came into leagues and tournaments on a regular basis, but the main reason I play is for the CASH only, even in leagues and tournaements. I have played almost 44 years, and I figure my knowledge and skill are worth something on an hourly basis. As a reasonable rate,
I use $75 an hour, with a low rate of $50 an hour. If I don't figure that I can make that on an hourly basis, I am
hesitant to play, unless I am teaching or if I am real low
on money, then I will play cheap to build a roll up for
bigger games. And yes, I love Pool, but I enjoy it more
when I win something, especially money.

loyter
11-16-2005, 01:21 PM
I have never been a money player. In fact, in the dozen or two money games I have ever been in, I have played poorly. I probably shouldn't have beat the guy the other night, but like I said, he just missed a lot of shots.

I prefer tournament pool myself.

Up above, someone said that gambling is bad for pool. That may be true, but it is part of the game. A big part. Even tournament players will gamble on other tournament players. Calcutta is just a method of gambling. It's rampant. Personally, I don't gamble because A) I don't want to lose my money and B) because I don't really need the other person's money. In fact, telling the other person that you don't need their money is a fun way to turn down a money game.

Sid_Vicious
11-16-2005, 02:41 PM
You answered a question I've wondered a lot about over time. I've seen players sit alone without taking games unless they get a certain price, killing hours of time,,,dullsville in my opinion. I thought, "Hell I'd play someone cheap just to be moving around a table", I mean it's a pool hall and I am here and the table is right there with someone asking to play. I respect your personal attitude, it's just that I don't think I'll ever get where you are today on the hourly worthiness of my skills. I gamble for the heightening of interest to this game, plus it's fun to cash out, but mainly it is only for the added focus. You belong to a large group, I'm just not there yet. To each there own, but I've got to get on a table if I'm already there with someone barking at me to play...sid

FastJoey
11-17-2005, 12:14 AM
There are people in this world both rich and poor that will gamble knowing full well that they don't have any chance at all winning in pool..they just enjoy playing whether they win or not...