PDA

View Full Version : Gambling Etiquette

Bassn7
11-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Last night I was approached by a young man (21-ish), and was asked if I play for money. I said a cheap set of race to 5 on the bar box (8-ball) would be OK for $20. He agreed. After the first 2 games I realized he had no business playing for money. A Wal-Mart cue and shaking hands showed up quite clear.(Although he could have been baiting me.) I thought it was best to offer him to stop at two games and just pay $10. I'm not up for robbing the kid. He responds "We'll play the whole set. You're not that good." So ... it was 5-0. Is is rude to offer a "pre-buy out"? I thought I was just being nice.

Billy
11-12-2005, 04:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bassn7:</font><hr> Last night I was approached by a young man (21-ish), and was asked if I play for money. I said a cheap set of race to 5 on the bar box (8-ball) would be OK for $20. He agreed. After the first 2 games I realized he had no business playing for money. A Wal-Mart cue and shaking hands showed up quite clear.(Although he could have been baiting me.) I thought it was best to offer him to stop at two games and just pay $10. I'm not up for robbing the kid. He responds "We'll play the whole set. You're not that good." So ... it was 5-0. Is is rude to offer a "pre-buy out"? I thought I was just being nice. <hr /></blockquote>

being nice would have been to tell the kid to keep the money because he was getting robbed

jmo

dave
11-12-2005, 04:58 PM
I disagree. You were just being nice and his own ego got in the way.

9ball_master
11-12-2005, 06:22 PM
I've only played for money once in my life, I don't like to gamble on pool, I guess I like this sport too much...
But this one time, after a big tournament at my local pool hall, this kid comes up to me bragging that since he finished the tournament better then me then he is better then me.... that kid had to learn a lesson !! I offered him a bet taken from "the hustler", 10 racks, $10 a rack, looser also pick up the bill for the table time, I knew I was much better then this kid, I also knew that that this kid did not have a lot of money so I won the first 6 matches just to make sure that I'll win and I dumped the last 4, he paid for the table time and he still owed me $20, I let him go and only asked him to pay for my two beers.

When it comes to betting there are two sides, one is a hustler and the other is a fool, I don't like to be either /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif .

Rich R.
11-12-2005, 07:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy:</font><hr> being nice would have been to tell the kid to keep the money because he was getting robbed

jmo <hr /></blockquote>Bassin would have been robbing the kid if he had dumped a set and the upped the bet for a second and subsequent sets. He didn't and he was not robbing anyone.

Bassin did not initiate the action, the kid did. I believe Bassin was being more than fair to offer the pre-buy out. If nothing else, the kid paid $20 for a very good lesson.

If Bassin didn't take the money, the kid wouldn't have learned a thing. The kid had to learn that, when he gambles, he may lose.

supergreenman
11-12-2005, 08:12 PM
I have no sympathy for people that make bad bets. I was playing pool for fun in the bar and was actually quite loaded when this kid figured he'd try and take advantage of me. The lesson cost him $20, and he didn't challange the table again.

I prefer to play for fun, tournaments provide enough chance to play for money for me.

Cali
11-13-2005, 12:42 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gifHow many of us were like that kid? I know I was. A little older, well maybe alot older and much wiser now. After beating him 2 games and offering to buy him out, where and what time do you want to play? LOL You are a true gentleman but remember sick children need their medicine! Sometimes the bully gets the bull, he needed the well deserved lesson. I dont really gamble all that much anymore because I have gotten plenty of medicine in my drunkin "No one can beat me" days, with alot of payouts that were not in my favor. I enjoyed the aggressive younger lad that approached me playing 20 a rack on 3 1/2 X 7. HE decided we were gonna play at least 5 games. 8 on the break, he broke I ran, I broke and ran, he broke made a few balls-I ran out and yet another break and run. OUCH!! Very humbling for him, he never gets loud at the Sat tourney anymore, and never runs his mouth to anyone about how good he is, kinda quiet lately. I was him in my younger years, which is why I let THEM approach me and have no problem taking his money, when they are actually able to pay. Sometimes they cant even do that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Bassn7
11-13-2005, 09:38 AM
You are exactly right. I was that kid as well. Took lots of beatings too. Lessons learned.

Sid_Vicious
11-13-2005, 09:57 AM
You could have done a little better if you'd took a set, maybe two and gave the weaker player some weight. You would have had competition and he would have realized, in a non threatening way, that he was in over his head. I've played a lot of losers for cash(sorry but that's the truth) and yet most every time I've ended up not taking a lot of anyone's money who happens to be disallusioned about their skills. Maybe I am a softie but I'd rather break even with these types than to take their money. NOW if they INSIST, act as a butt-head...then they get what they asked for.

I've many times had a gentleman's talk with some of these players about the reality of losing bigger money later, offering advice especially about the fact that they found a nice guy this time, but others won't think a second about raping him whenever they can. As you can tell, my interest is not in winning the money, it's more of a drive within me to find competition and possibly help a new friend in the process. My personality just happens to be that way....sid~~~a sap

Snapshot9
11-13-2005, 01:54 PM
What's that about young and dumb? Some people you can not
tell, they have to be shown. Please tell me we do not
have to go from the 'buyer beware' to the 'let the seller
be responsible' mentality in Pool. He has a brain, if he
can not figure it out on his own, let him learn his lesson,
and a cheap lesson it is. It's called 'Tough Love'... lol

supergreenman
11-14-2005, 10:19 AM
I suppose we could look at it like we're all embassadors to the world of pool too, even if you take thier money, I think it's important to leave newcomers with a positive impression. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif (so they come back to lose more money) just kidding :P

Cali
11-17-2005, 12:29 AM
LOL Supergreen, yeah like "oh I'm just on tonight" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif, "hey, you were RIGHT there all night" /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif "where did you get such a great stroke?" /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif "I just got lucky" /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif"you played very well, I just shot over my head" /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif "wow, that was an awesome shot" /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif "you shoulda had me" /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif "do you play this good ALL the time?" /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif "do you need change for that hundred" /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif and finally "are these MY pennies we were keeping score with?" /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif