PDA

View Full Version : Ferrules---Ivorine or Ivory?

Cali
11-13-2005, 12:53 AM
I have never played with an Ivory ferrule long enough to tell the difference between manmade materials and Ivory. Could someone with some knowledge please comment? I like a very firm hitting cue. I am having Ivory inlaid on my new cue, but think its silly to switch to "manmade" at the ferrule even though that is what I have always shot with. Any help is appreciated.

Ronoh
11-13-2005, 01:25 AM
True Ivory is only decrative. Playability of the man made products is what you want, if you want to improve your stoke.

I've played with Ivory, ferrule only, ferrule and joint, joint only, ivory inlay only, ivory inlay and joint, and ivory ferrule, ivory joint, invory inlay.

Ivory and Ivorine have almost the same density. They're close enough that very few would be able to tell the differance.

Save yourself some money, go Ivorine.

HALHOULE
11-13-2005, 03:24 AM
STOKE IT KID, STOKE THAT FIRE.

cubswin
11-13-2005, 07:32 PM
http://ivor-x.com/performance.htm has a bit of info about various ferrule material.

I like Linen based melamine (spelling is wrong I'm sure) and ivory the most. Easier to keep clean than some other types.

Lot of variables in hit, the ferrule being just one part of the equation.

Cali
11-13-2005, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the replies. At 39, I have been shooting a number of years and finally found a great playing custom cue in my area. I am doing ivory inlays because I think I will be keeping this cue, after having over 50, for awhile. I wanted a little something extra, to hold the value. I like the fact the Ivory cleans a little better than most and if I am going to do Ivory in the cue, Im going to do Ivory in the cue. Everthing white is going to be the same material, Ivory. I will read the information from the site you gave me Cubs. If the Ivory has about the same consistency as the manmade stuff, I wont have any problem putting it at the joint either. Mr. H, stay off drugs.LOL

Cane
11-15-2005, 10:35 AM
I have to agree with Ronoh on this one. While I love the look of ivory, for an inlay or even for a ferrule, I've had ivory ferrules that I loved to play with and ivory ferrules that I hated. Ivory is an organic material and therefore is NOT consistent from piece to piece. Ivorine, however is synthetic and undergoes quality control, therefore you get the same thing very time. Just no way to QC the way a Walrus or Elephant or extinct Mammoth or whatever grows their tusk. It depends on environment and nutrition greatly, so ivory is NOT consistent in either quality, grain or composition. Ivorine IS.

I have an outrageously priced custom cue that I play with most of the time. It does NOT have ivory ferrules on it. I sure think they're pretty, but then again, I don't let anyone get close enough to my cue to see whether it's ivory or not, so I'd rather go with the more consistent man made materials, whether it be ivory or any of the other popular ferrule materials.

Later,
Bob