PDA

View Full Version : Deer hunting in "Bama

wolfdancer
11-14-2005, 12:40 PM
Yep, thar's more to hunting deer down there, then freezing em in your pickup's headlights. i knew they were jes a little behind the times, but....
[ QUOTE ]
<hr /></blockquote> HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) - An ancient weapon that struck fear in the hearts of Spanish conquistadors, and that some think was used to slay wooly mammoths in Florida, may soon be added to the arsenal of Pennsylvania's hunters.

The state Game Commission is currently drafting proposed regulations to allow hunters to use the atlatl, a small wooden device used to propel a six-foot dart as fast as 80 mph. The commission could vote to legalize its use as early as January.

It's unclear which animals atlatlists may be allowed to hunt, but the proposal is being pushed by people who want to kill deer with a handmade weapon of Stone Age design. The name, usually pronounced AT-lad-ul, is derived from an Aztec word for "throwing board."

"For me, it would be a thrill to have a deer get up close enough and to throw my dart and hit the deer, bag it like my ancestors did," said Jack Rowe, 45, a veteran hunter and atlatl enthusiast from Sayre.

In Alabama, one of a handful of states that currently allow the use of atlatls for hunting or fishing, few hunters use them during deer season, said Allan Andress, the chief fish and game enforcement officer for the state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources.

Even spear hunters - Alabama game law also allows spears - outnumber those using atlatls.

"As you might imagine, it's not something that most people have the skill or the patience for," Andress said.

Pennsylvania Atlatl Association president Gary L. Fogelman, who got the atlatl bug about 20 years ago, said he doubts that large numbers of deer will ever be killed with the weapon.

"You've got to know what you're doing, you've got to be good with all the outdoor skills in order to be able to score with this thing," said Fogelman, of Turbotville, publisher of Indian Artifact Magazine.

To use an atlatl, throwers hook arrowlike hunting darts into the end of the atlatl, which is generally a wooden piece about 2 feet long. The leverage of the atlatl allows them to throw the 5- to 8-foot darts much farther than they could throw a spear.

At BPS Engineering in Manhattan, Mont., a leading manufacturer of atlatls, sales have averaged about 450 in recent years, said owner Bob Perkins. Customers pay $140 for his company's 2-foot maple production-line model, the Warrior, along with a set of five 5 1/2-foot aluminum darts.

Perkins has killed two deer with atlatls and, a couple weeks ago, got his first buffalo.

"Atlatls were the first true weapon system developed by the human race," he said. "They were used longer than any other weapon. Comparatively speaking, the bow and arrow was a recent development in projectile technology."
web page (http://apnews1.iwon.com/article/20051114/D8DRTEO81.html)

SnakebyteXX
11-14-2005, 01:12 PM
http://img289.imageshack.us/img289/60/deerupatree3fa.jpg

wolfdancer
11-14-2005, 01:25 PM
Richard, neat pix...I'll fire that off to my cousin, who's an avid deer hunter.
One of my pool league teammates, the guy that owns the bar...is now hunting deer, in Idaho, with a musket permit

Deeman3
11-14-2005, 03:29 PM
Wolfdancer,

We rely on the time proven method of running them down with our Dodge trucks. I know of three of my employees who have hit deer this week.

Deeman

Barbara
11-14-2005, 03:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Wolfdancer,

We rely on the time proven method of running them down with our Dodge trucks. I know of three of my employees who have hit deer this week.

Deeman <hr /></blockquote>

Yep, that's how it goes down in South Jersey, too. It saves on the vig you pay the hit guy.

Plus the bullets...

Barbara

supergreenman
11-14-2005, 03:53 PM
Aren't deer more like big dogs down in those parts? Up here in Canada, we try to stay on the highway and try avoid driving through the forest. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif jk.... It's that time of year, those pesky deer are busy out there raising everybodys insurance rates.

Rich R.
11-14-2005, 07:38 PM
I'll bet these things would be a lot more accurate, if they made them with pie shaped sections, laminated together. They could call it the Atlatl 314. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Fran Crimi
11-14-2005, 08:33 PM
I hope all deer hunters come back as deer next time around.

Fran

wolfdancer
11-15-2005, 09:18 AM
Rich, they're working on one in N.C.
going to call it the "Opie 1"

supergreenman
11-15-2005, 09:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> I hope all deer hunters come back as deer next time around.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

Why limit it to deer... Instead of the right to bear arms it should be the right to ARM bears :P

wolfdancer
11-15-2005, 10:48 AM
Deer hunters get a bad rap...because most of 'em ain't hunters at all....justa once a year event, so they'll have some macho stories to tell at the water cooler.
Every deer hunting season in NYS brought new horror stories. Two tales that I remember were
There was a deer that had been "adopted" by a small town...he lived wild, but was used to people. To protect him during hunting season, they dressed him in clothes, and hung a sign on him. The guy that shot him, claimed he thought the deer had run into a clothesline.
The saddest story was a young boy killed delivering papers on a bike, wearing an orange vest....I don't remember the details...but after three days of late night drinking sessions, and three days without sighting a deer....as if these "hunters" could actually get close to one...they're ready to shoot anything that moves, and usually do...including each other.
But Fran, wishing bad things on people can come back to haunt you...you might come back as a tobacco chewing, banjo playing...growed up version of the kid in "Deliverance"

Fran Crimi
11-15-2005, 11:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote supergreenman:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> I hope all deer hunters come back as deer next time around.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

Why limit it to deer... Instead of the right to bear arms it should be the right to ARM bears :P <hr /></blockquote>

That's silly. I was responding to a post about deer hunting. I kept my response in context. But now that you broadened the spectrum...there's another group I wouldn't mind seeing come back as their victims.

A guy once came to me for lessons, saying he wanted to improve his focus and concentration skills and thought pool would help. He said he played a sport but was reluctant to tell me what it was. Half-way throught the lesson, after questioning him, he finally told me. He said it was for pidgeon shooting competitions. I said, "Oh, you shoot clay pidgeons?" He said, "No, live ones." He told me there are private clubs out on Long Island that secretly do it (because it's illegal) and the money is big. It costs $10,000 to enter and you can win $200,000 for first place. I was appalled. I told him to get lost.

Fran

Fran Crimi
11-15-2005, 11:30 AM
We know deer hunters today don't kill for food. They kill for sport. They may eat the meat, but that's not their motivation---that's their trophy.

Well, if I do happen to come back as the guy from Deliverance, the Dali Lama will probably be the guy dueling banjos with me.

Fran