PDA

View Full Version : RIP Eddie Guerrero

sack316
11-14-2005, 04:46 PM
By: Associated Press
11/14/2005 4:38:38 PM

'Consummate performer' WWE's Guerrero found dead in Minneapolis hotel room

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- World Wrestling Entertainment superstar Eduardo Gory Guerrero was found dead in his hotel room Sunday morning in Minneapolis, where he was scheduled to appear that evening in a WWE Supershow.

When Guerrero, 38, didn't respond to a wake-up call, hotel security at Minneapolis Marriott City Center and Guerrero's nephew and fellow WWE wrestler, Chavo Guerrero, forced entry into the room shortly after 7 a.m., police said.

The 5-8, 220-pound wrestler was found on the floor. Attempts to revive him were unsuccessful.

There were no apparent signs of foul play or suicide, police said. An autopsy was planned at the Hennepin County medical examiner's office.

He was a featured star on the UPN series WWE Smackdown! and son of Mexican wrestler Gory Guerrero.

He is survived by his wife, Vickie, and daughters Shaul, 14; Sherilyn, 9; and Kaylie Marie, 3, according to WWE Web site.

"This is a huge loss," said WWE chairman Vince McMahon. "Eddie was a wonderful, fun-loving human being. Eddie was a consummate performer."

Chavo Guerrero and McMahon said Guerrero was open about his past drug and alcohol abuse but they said he'd been sober for four years.

Guerrero was in the Twin Cities with 60 to 80 other wrestlers to film Friday Night Smackdown at the Target Center.

"I know Eddie would want the show to go on," Chavo Guerrero said.

In February 2004, Guerrero became the second wrestler of Hispanic heritage to be WWE champion when he defeated Brock Lesnar, a former University of Minnesota wrestling standout. Guerrero lost the title four months later.

In May 2004, UPN aired the special Cheating Death, Stealing Life: The Eddie Guerrero Story. The one-hour program chronicled his childhood and his struggle with drug addiction that almost cost him his job, family and life before his recovery and eventual capture of the WWE championship.

Guerrero grew up in El Paso, Texas. He and his three older brothers were all wrestlers.

end

on another personal sidenote, I know he had only a few days ago celebrated his four year sobriety date. I'm not sure how many wrestling fans we have on this board-- but love him or hate him he was a hell of a performer and will be missed

Sack

pooltchr
11-14-2005, 06:03 PM
That is very sad news. Eddie was quite a performer, and a lot of fun to watch. Like you said...love him or hate him...he was one of the best in his profession.
Steve

DebraLiStarr
11-14-2005, 08:19 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

http://www.totalwrestling.net/eddietribute.gif

http://drunk.b33r.net/eddiesig.jpg

Big_Jon
11-14-2005, 08:20 PM
Yes, he will be greatly missed /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Jon~*~Not really much of a wrestling fan now (than i was years and years ago) but nonetheless----> /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

ARJ
11-15-2005, 03:35 PM
I always thought Eddie was a great performer. Watching the tribute show also showed how much the wrestlers in the lockeroom thought of him. RIP Eddie.

ARJ

Deeman3
11-15-2005, 04:11 PM
I never knew of him as I am not a wrestling fan but what a shame a 38 year old young man should die like this. We never know when or how it will happen but these guys are usually very fit, I think.

Deeman
did play softball on Jerry Lawler's team in the 1980's.

DebraLiStarr
11-16-2005, 11:57 PM
I had a friend send me this link... its a really cute story about Eddie vs "The Monkey"

Eddie Vs The Monkey (http://www.wwe.com/content/media/video/494698/1519562/1564376/eddievsmonkey)

sack316
11-17-2005, 02:41 AM
from 1wrestling.com

After the untimely passing of Eddie Guerrero, WWE and the entire sports-entertainment community is still reeling from the devastating loss of a champion. The initial autopsy reports on Guerrero have come in. WWE.com spoke with Eddie’s widow, Vickie Guerrero, earlier today.

“It was heart failure. It was from his past – the drinking and the drug abuse. They found signs of heart disease. She (the examiner) said that the blood vessels were very worn and narrow, and that just showed all the abuse from the scheduling of work and his past. And Eddie just worked out like crazy all the time. It made his heart grow bigger and work harder and the vessels were getting smaller, and that’s what caused the heart failure. He went into a deep sleep.

As soon as they saw his heart, they saw the lining of his heart already had the heart disease. There was no trauma, and Eddie hadn’t hurt himself in any way. It answered a lot of questions. I knew Eddie wasn’t feeling very good for the last week. He was home and kept saying he wasn’t feeling good and we thought it was just “road tired.” So we thought he just had to rest. It answered a lot of my questions, too, because he was just so exhausted. She said it was normal because the heart was working so hard.

When he didn’t call me last night and the night before I knew it was for real, because he would call me every night. I miss his phone calls. I cried through the whole thing (last night).

I loved his laugh. His laugh was the best.

We just celebrated his four-year sobriety last Thursday. We just thought we had life by the handful. We thought we had it all figured out. He worked so hard to make a better life for us.

I’m just overwhelmed by how people are coming out. It’s touched my heart a lot.

Everybody was just in awe last night in how beautifully everything was put together.

All my life was wrestling. All he did was take care of them and live for that. And I don’t know what to do now.”

DebraLiStarr
11-17-2005, 12:01 PM
There seems to be a lot of scrutiny to see if Vince McMahon is ignoring health issues. This is from another website that looks in that issue. The wrestler they are talking about that may be on a "death watch" is Kurt Angle. There is a history of Angina (http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/Angina/Angina_WhatIs.html) that runs in his family. He is also very susceptible to fall into the extreme "stress" category due to personal issues.

Lifestyle of WWE wrestlers being examined - one star on death watch?

With the passing of Eddie Guerrero this past weekend, the lifestyle of WWE wrestlers have no doubt been put under the microscope a little more lately than ever before and has caused many to question how the company can allow a situation like this to operate and be deemed acceptable.

With these questions come some answers that many people may not want to hear. It has been heavily documented in the past that WWE doesn't have doctors on staff with the power to order a wrestler off the road if they are becoming over stressed with the road schedule they are on, thus playing a role with their health in turn. The problem many have with this statement is that the fear within WWE is that those who take time off will in turn be de-pushed and lose the spot they helped build for many months, or even years for some. In Eddie Guerrero's case, some have argued that if expensive, elaborate tests were put into place that could help determine an individuals stress level, then it could help establish a ruling of giving a wrestler a month or two off to rest up and keep themselves healthy, possibly saving a career or even a life in the process.

According to recent reports, there is said to be a top wrestler in WWE today who many consider to be on the "unofficial death watch" whose death, due to his credentials, would make news coverage of Guerrero's death this past week look very minor in comparison. It is said to be no secret to those in WWE about this current top wrestler's situation and if it isn't something that has been made aware to Vince McMahon by now, many are lobbying to the higher-ups that the current system needs to be changed and changed fast. Says one WWE source, "It's one thing to show how much you care about a colleague by crying on the air after he dies. It's another to care enough about someone to do what it takes while he's alive to keep him from dying - even at the expense of box office receipts, storyline interruptions, and being deemed pushy, nosy, or a nark."

Following the passing of Guerrero this week, former WWE star Andrew "Test" Martin issued a statement on his official website speaking of this situation and some of the things he was around while he was with the company. "I can remember hearing a conversation from some unnamed WWE head guys talking about how this certain person needs to go to rehab but they couldn't send him because he was too important to the show," said Martin. "That's the reality people. That is how we are treated. Look at me. I break my neck in the ring and had to have two discs taken out of my neck and a steel plate put in and was told at the time by Johnny Ace when I asked if my job would be in jeopardy, 'We don't fire people with injuries like that.' Hmm, that's funny, because two months after surgery I got fired because I wasn't working."

Either way, the current system within WWE has come to the forefront and it remains to be seen if any changes will take place.

If you were a fan of Eddie's, you would really enjoy this video tribute.

Tribute video - Three Doors Down - Here Without You (http://www.wwe.com/content/media/video/494606/1515310/1581782/3tdeddietribvid)

Cueless Joey
11-17-2005, 12:13 PM
Vince dun't care.
He just wants the cash.
Heck, Owen died in the ring and the show went on.

sack316
11-17-2005, 02:32 PM
actually Vince does care, and he cares much more than most owners of a large cooperation do. I base this not as a fan who keep up with some stuff, but as someone who knows many current and former employees of the company. Yes he is a businessman and yes making money is high on the priority list, but above that are the fans and workers (who he considers extended family BTW). I know he takes a lot of flack, and the outward appearance of many circumstances gives the impression that he is a greedy SOB, but the actual fact of the matter is that he is actually a caring and fair boss (from the mouths of employees...even ones that have been fired).
When the Owen Hart tragedy occurred, a general consensus was taken and agreed that the show would continue as most wrestlers competing felt that's what Owen would want, as well as doing it for the fans. I agree this was questionable (after all, the fans would have understood), but they'd take flack one way or another from somewhere on this one.

As far as the schedules and all that of the wrestlers... hell yeah it's hard and grueling and wears you down. But they get paid and paid well for it, and it's not any more strenuous for them than it is for the indy wrestler that works 50-60 hours and week on a loading dock then performs for small promotions on weekends for $25 a show. The WWE gives extended leave to people who need it when possible, but the fact is that most wrestlers don't want to take time off because it can damage their careers (we as fans bear most of the blame for that fact). Test's firing was the exception and not the rule. Generally when someone is injured they are not fired, or at least not until they are able to work again. His injury had bad timing, as he was going to be released anyway. He was someone who had the look and decent wrestling ability, but the charisma wasn't there on camera. He had a few pushes and attempts thrown to him to have him big (he was originally planned to be one of the big stars of the future), but he never really got off the ground. I do agree, however, that it could have waited until he was recovered. He did begin wrestling again this past may.
Kurt Angle works himself do death yes... on his own no matter what he is doing. You could say he's been on the death watch since his amateur days because he's always worked a grueling schedule and pushed himself to the limit since he was very young. He won that gold medal for us with an injured neck, and never complained once. He just wants to be the best and give us fans what we want. I doubt he'd ever take time off unless forced to for some reason. He came back in less than a year from an injury and surgery that should have ended his career. The man is a freak of nature, and quite possibly immortal /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Anyway, I think that's my little rant on that. Obviously as a big company every move is under a microscope, and when a tragedy occurs everything is scrutinized tenfold. I respect everyone's opinions, be they good or bad, about Vince and the WWE. Obviously it is not perfect, but it's not a hard labor sweatshop either.
After all, this was about Eddie anyway-- and the man had no complaints that I am aware of. He loved the company and loved what he did... period.

Sack

DebraLiStarr
12-09-2005, 01:15 PM
This came out yesterday. It says he died of natural causes due to a heart condition. It also says that he had enlarged heart and organs due to past use of anabolic steroids.

Link to AP story.... (http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/13360919.htm)
Posted on Thu, Dec. 08, 2005

Medical examiner's report says wrestling star died natural death

Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS - World Wrestling Entertainment star Eddie Guerrero died of natural causes related to heart disease, while past steroid use and the use of narcotic pain medication may have been contributing factors, officials said Thursday.

Guerrero, 38, died from "natural causes related to arteriosclerotic heart disease," which is a hardening and narrowing of the arteries that supply the heart with blood and oxygen, the medical examiner's report said.

Guerrero also had an enlarged heart and other enlarged organs related to a history of anabolic steroid use, said Dr. Kathryn Berg, the assistant chief medical examiner in Hennepin County who conducted the autopsy.

Guerrero also had recently used narcotic pain medication.

"They were contributing conditions," Berg said. "When you have larger organs, et cetera, your body works a little bit harder to maintain your normal physiologic state."

Guerrero, a star of "WWE Smackdown!" died Nov. 13 in Minneapolis, where he was supposed to film a show. His body was found on the floor of his hotel room after he failed to respond to a wakeup call.

Guerrero's widow, Vickie Guerrero, said last month in report on the WWE's Web site that her husband died from heart failure, and that the heart disease was due to past drinking and drug abuse combined with an aggressive workout regimen.

After Eddie Guerrero's death, WWE said it would start random drug testing to detect illicit drugs, steroids and prescription drug abuse among its performers