PDA

View Full Version : The secret to a very controlled jump shot.

supergreenman
11-15-2005, 10:20 AM
Last night my team was playing an away match. I was 2 balls to the end of a very nice run out and I got a couple of inches out of position and had to get the jump cue out. I took a look at the table and put the cue back /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I like jump shots and have an acceptable success rate with them, but the problem was the Huge plate glass window behind the table. It made me very nervous. I ended up jumping and making the ball anyways because I didn't have a kick, but let me tell you I was very carefull not to over hit the ball.

The whole scene reminded me of a jump shot on an 8 ball I saw this guy attempt once, it wasn't a very difficult jump, as jumps go, but he hit the cb so hard it left the table and landed on the table next to it pocketing the 8 on that table in the corner he had called on his table.

Anybody else have some funny jump stories?

catscradle
11-15-2005, 02:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote supergreenman:</font><hr> ...

Anybody else have some funny jump stories? <hr /></blockquote>

Well I once saw a guy (who wasn't much of a player incidentally) jump from one table into a trash can placed on the next table. I also saw him jump from one table to the next to the next. Like I said he couldn't play very well, but he could jump the hell out of the ball, I always wondered if it had something to do with his karate training.

Fran Crimi
11-15-2005, 02:38 PM
I have a student who I was teaching at his home, and I noticed that he had his table setup where the foot spot end of the table was located very close to a glass sliding door to his balcony. I immediately pictured a break shot sending the cb flying into the glass, so I asked him wouldn't it be better to switch the foot spot to the other side where there was just a wall? He said, "I'd rather risk the glass than the Rembrandt." Yikes! The guy had an original Rembrandt hanging on the wall over his pool table.

So, when we got to learning jump shots, I made sure to teach him: "When facing the Rembrandt, KICK. When facing the glass doors, JUMP.

Fran

supergreenman
11-15-2005, 03:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> I have a student who I was teaching at his home, and I noticed that he had his table setup where the foot spot end of the table was located very close to a glass sliding door to his balcony. I immediately pictured a break shot sending the cb flying into the glass, so I asked him wouldn't it be better to switch the foot spot to the other side where there was just a wall? He said, "I'd rather risk the glass than the Rembrandt." Yikes! The guy had an original Rembrandt hanging on the wall over his pool table.

So, when we got to learning jump shots, I made sure to teach him: "When facing the Rembrandt, KICK. When facing the glass doors, JUMP.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

That is too funny /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

James

DickLeonard
11-16-2005, 08:32 AM
Fran that is a great story only in NYC could that happen. He is my jump shot story, this happened in Joe Canton's room in Troy. A violin teacher/pool instructor was showing a beginer how to hit the cueball and was standing behind the rack his pupil hit the cueball hard and it became airborne and hit the pint of Vodka he had in his coat pocket. Scattering the Vodka down his coat and pants everyone was laughing so hard and he was saying he would never show anyone anything in the future.

It was a scene from a movie it happened in a matter of seconds. We took up a collection to replace the Vodka. We still talk about 50 years later.####

Fran Crimi
11-16-2005, 09:16 AM
Haha! Dick, that scene definitely needs to be written into a film. That is too funny.

You're right about NYC being unique. This isn't a jump shot story but it's funny. I was teaching at another student's penthouse apartment on Park Ave. His billiard room was really cool looking, all decorated to look like an Egypitian artifacts museum, with pieces on pedistals everywhere. I thought it was just decor stuff. I was shooting a shot from the corner of the table and when I took the shot, the butt of my cue hit a statue and it started to wobble. I turned around and grabbed the piece to steady it. My student just stood there calmly and said, "I guess that's not the right place for that." I replied, "Well no, but it's just a decoration, right?" He said, "Oh no, I picked it up at auction last week for 1.5 million."

He had to go get me a glass of water while I sat down and calmed my nerves. Geez...

Fran

loyter
11-16-2005, 01:42 PM
A friend and I were out shooting a bit at a bar one night. It was busy and there were lots of people around. My girlfriend was waiting for a game at the next table. (the tables were end to end) My buddy was breaking on our table toward hers. She had her back turned to him. He hit the rack, but on the bounce and the cue ball became airborne and bounced off of a big pillar then took her cocktail cleanly out of her hand from behind. Well, almost cleanly, she ended up with a pretty good cut on her thumb.

It was a one-in-a-million shot. Funny thing was, she didn't even know she had been hit by a cue ball. She thought that the glass had just shattered for no good reason.

Cali
11-17-2005, 01:05 AM
Fran, sounds like you should reconsider your rates and take out statue insurance! I was slightly bragging about my "wheels" meaning legs, riding with my K9 buddy at work. We had a suspect bail out of a car 5 min. later and I began to chase him and was just about to do my Lawrence Taylor tackle when I busted my ass on some wet grass, hence If you guys see him anywhere tell him I am looking for him, because all my friend did was fall on the ground with me laughing. Anyways that is a good laugh in the K9 unit nowadays. Well, It got around I am a pretty good pool player, probably the same way they know how fast I am!!! Or by the time I take off for the BCA gig each year. Well my friend decided to "see how good he really is" one night while working in the area he stopped by just in time to see me attempt a jump shot. It was on a 9 footer and my opponent "safed" me leaving the cue ball on the dot in the kitchen. His ball was directly up table almost dead center between the side pockets, and the 8 ball was on the dot at the head, strange but true. I felt a little cocky and after looking at it for a split second I decided to jump the ball rather than kick. Without even thinking twice I grabbed my j/b cue, broke it down, got in a Bruce Lee "grasshopper" stance (with one foot on the floor of course) and BLASTED the cue ball up and over my opponents ball nailing the 8 ball and splitting the corner pocket in a perfect half!!!Like any good pool player, I held in my amazement keeping my "Yeah I MEANT to do that" look on my face. My friend walked away shaking his head, and turned and said "I am just glad to see your pool is better than your running" and left the building. OUch!! I am pretty efficient at jumping, but that shot was one in a million cause of the distance. Running? Open mouth, insert foot! Pool? No one in K9 that was interested in $$$ games wants to play me anymore!!! Priceless.

Fran Crimi
11-17-2005, 09:17 AM
Great story, Cali. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sounds like you're turning into a legend over at K9. The guy can't run but he sure can JUMP. LOL!

Fran

Cali
11-17-2005, 08:25 PM
Yes, A legend in my own mind! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

DickLeonard
11-18-2005, 05:57 AM
Cali if you dig deeper you will find out that most pool players thought they were great long before they became great. It is one of the main ingredients to being a great player.####

supergreenman
11-18-2005, 09:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Cali if you dig deeper you will find out that most pool players thought they were great long before they became great. It is one of the main ingredients to being a great player.#### <hr /></blockquote>

Hmmmmm..............

Fran Crimi
11-18-2005, 09:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Cali if you dig deeper you will find out that most pool players thought they were great long before they became great. It is one of the main ingredients to being a great player.#### <hr /></blockquote>

Yup. One of my favorite sayings is "Being a Champion often means overcoming reality." It was either Billie Jean King or Arthur Ash who said it.

Fran

Cali
11-22-2005, 08:52 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gifDick L. , you are absolutely right. I shoot way over my head every day. I am an exellent(just below great) barbox player. Supergreen, have you seen my shovel? I need the one I shovel sh*t with, not the one I use to dig deeper! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

daniels_jack
11-23-2005, 12:16 AM
i remember when me and my friend were still playing with house cues and felt cool cause we rolled them on the table to check for warpage, we racked up a game of 8 and when i broke it kicked it cleanly over the rack hit the bank behind bounced back and broke from behind,i was just glad that it didnt bounce off the table for the gentlman who had decided to turn around at what could have been the wrong time may have limped away that night

supergreenman
11-23-2005, 09:05 AM
If that's what you use your shovel for cali, I'm not sure I want to get close enough to see it /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nhp
11-24-2005, 05:07 AM
A few years ago, I remember I was having a really, really bad day. Nothing was going right. I went to the poolhall to blow off some steam. Right when I walked in, I saw some friends shooting on a corner table. As I was approaching, my friend broke the balls and hit the rack very thin, sending the cueball flying towards me. I dodged as quickly as I could, but I felt it hit my wrist and I heard a loud crack. The cueball shattered the glass on my brand new expensive watch. Later that day, my mom ran over my foot in the driveway. True story.

supergreenman
11-24-2005, 08:26 AM
A bad day like that someone could make a movie about. Add a few good pool games and it could be better than pool hall junkies :P

J