PDA

View Full Version : Just an Intro...

Shorty
11-16-2005, 11:50 AM
Hello to all, my name is Shorty and I am a wheelchair pool player from central Florida. I play mostly on my home table, love to play 9 ball, 8 ball, and one pocket being my favorite game. I don't play much as I spend a lot of time raising my 16 year old step-daughter and 5 year old step-son as well as taking care of my 6 pets. We have 2 dogs, 3 cats, and 1 ferret. My wife and I have been married for a little over 2 years and she is also in a wheelchair. I have been playing pool since I was 11, starting with bumper pool, working my way up from bar tables, now preferring nine footers. I consider myself a C/D player at best...but I find a groove on occasion.

Looking forward to reading the board and thanks for having me.

Shorty

wolfdancer
11-16-2005, 11:59 AM
Shorty, welcome aboard!!!!!
sounds like you have your hands full...i'm surprised you are able to find the time to play some.

Deeman3
11-16-2005, 12:02 PM
Shorty,

A hearty welcome. I really enjoy watching the wheel chair events and actually tried to play form one a few years ago. I have deep admiration for those of you who can do it.

Is it not much more difficult to play on a nine footer? Do you get much one pocket in central Florida and where do you most often play? at home or in a pool hall?

Deeman

Tom_In_Cincy
11-16-2005, 12:27 PM
What took you so long?????

I've been reading some (not all) of your posts on AZ and also SouthernBilliards forums....

CCB has been around a long time and there are some great people/players that post here often.

Welcome

supergreenman
11-16-2005, 12:44 PM
Hi Shorty, nice to meet you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

James

9 Ball Girl
11-16-2005, 12:46 PM
Where have I seen you before???

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Shorty
11-16-2005, 12:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Shorty,

A hearty welcome. I really enjoy watching the wheel chair events and actually tried to play form one a few years ago. I have deep admiration for those of you who can do it.

Is it not much more difficult to play on a nine footer? Do you get much one pocket in central Florida and where do you most often play? at home or in a pool hall?

Deeman <hr /></blockquote>

Playing from a chair has it's advantages and disadvantages. I think you can see contact points easier being down low, but it's harder to bank and get a good overall view of the lay of a table from down low as well. I am lucky to have found a chair with a seat that can go up and down help me to see better.

I guess just going through the motions of maturing my game, I have always felt the nine foot tables are more challenging and I adjusted to them pretty well. I spent about 6 years of college shooting on a shimmed Diamond 6-8 hours a day four or five days a week. I play more of a finese game nowadays and the bigger table caters to that I suppose. Yes, a larger table does make it more difficult to reach some shots, but that does not come up nearly as often as having the additional space to manuever around balls. It's funny, I tried playing on a bar table here recently and felt like I was shooting marbles it was so crowded. Took me 3 games before I was able to string 3 balls together. I used to only shoot on them when I was drinking in college, and I graduated college and gave up drinking altogether.

I don't play much outside my own home table these days, since I don't drive. I was shooting on an APA team for five sessions and really enjoyed it. The problem was getting rides to and from the pool room some 20 miles away, and not to mention getting in at 1am to get right back up at 5am for work. That can get old in a hurry. In five sessions we finished 1st twice and 2nd once. This was on 8 foot tables, which is a good compromise between bar tables and 9 footers. I like them, but when it came to my home table, it was no question, I preferred 9 footer with Simonis.

I am not much of an action player, I prefer tournaments overall. I play cheap when I have to go looking for action. I guess you can say I am just a guy that enjoys rolling balls around that occassionally find a pocket to fall in. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Shorty

Shorty
11-16-2005, 01:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> What took you so long?????

I've been reading some (not all) of your posts on AZ and also SouthernBilliards forums....

CCB has been around a long time and there are some great people/players that post here often.

Welcome <hr /></blockquote>

Thank you Tom,
Shorty

DickLeonard
11-17-2005, 06:06 AM
Shorty, welcome to the board, most all the truly great players[Hoppe,Greenleaf] to name a few started playing at a young age and developed the sidearm stroke. So being short has one advantage the sidearm stroke. The rest has to do with your desire and it reads like you have that mastered. ####

Scott Lee
11-17-2005, 01:46 PM
Welcome Shorty! I've worked with many wheelchair players, all over the country! I learned to teach wheelchair players, by playing in a chair myself. It gave me a lot of insight into the difficulties faced by poolplayers like yourself, that able-bodied folks take for granted. One thing for sure, you become BEST friends with the mechanical bridge!
Good luck to you! Does your wife or daughter play?

Scott Lee

Shorty
11-17-2005, 02:12 PM
Hi Scott and thanks for the welcome!

No, my wife refuses to play the game. Matter of fact she will hardly touch a cue other than to photograph it for me. My daughter bangs balls around on occasion, and her form is actually pretty decent for someone having played as little as she has. My son gets a little discouraged, but he tries hard and likes to use my bridge as well...I will explain it later on.

You do instruction for wheelchair players eh? Where are you located if I may ask? I would not mind some lessons. It is very difficult getting lessons from able bodied people because they expect you to hit balls the way "normal" people do. Totally different perspective swinging a cue sidearm and from my view down at "Butt" level I as I call it.

Speaking of mechanical bridge, I have my own I developed and use exclusively. I have tried every other device on the market and still come back to my bridge. Feel free to check it out at my website, http://www.shortycues.com/

Looking forward to some lessons!
Shorty

cycopath
11-17-2005, 03:34 PM
Hello my friend. Welcome aboard.

Folks don't let this guy fool ya, my buddy Shorty can play.
_______

cycopath loves it when he can ruin somebody's action... ha ha ha... j/k.

Deeman3
11-17-2005, 03:47 PM
Shorty,

Good news, Scott comes to you! He's a good guy and a fine instructor. He's reasonable and never shuts up... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman
did I say that?

Deeman3
11-17-2005, 03:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> Hello my friend. Welcome aboard.

Folks don't let this guy fool ya, my buddy Shorty can play.
_______

cycopath loves it when he can ruin somebody's action... ha ha ha... j/k. <hr /></blockquote>

Cycopath:

Now that I'm trapped in Southern Alabama, maybe me, you and Shorty can meet somewhere in between (if I ever get a day off) and we can settle the Lower Alabama Championships. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Deeman

DebraLiStarr
11-17-2005, 04:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Shorty:</font><hr> Hello to all, my name is Shorty and I am a wheelchair pool player from central Florida. I play mostly on my home table, love to play 9 ball, 8 ball, and one pocket being my favorite game. I don't play much as I spend a lot of time raising my 16 year old step-daughter and 5 year old step-son as well as taking care of my 6 pets. We have 2 dogs, 3 cats, and 1 ferret. My wife and I have been married for a little over 2 years and she is also in a wheelchair. I have been playing pool since I was 11, starting with bumper pool, working my way up from bar tables, now preferring nine footers. I consider myself a C/D player at best...but I find a groove on occasion.

Looking forward to reading the board and thanks for having me.

Shorty <hr /></blockquote>

Behave yourself, Shorty. We reserve the right to dress you up as an Oompa Loompa and pelt you with rocks and garbage if you start any of your $hit over here. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry, there's not many people in this world that are shorter than me, so when I want kick a midget, I kick Shorty. He loves me.

Welcome to CCB you pain in the butt!!!!!!!!!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Debra
aka
Straybullet

John_Madden
11-17-2005, 09:30 PM
Hi Shorty
Scott Lee is east of the mountains from me - and we have a little snow on this mountains. No where near Florida ---
Jack
www.johnmaddencues.com (http://www.johnmaddencues.com)

Shorty
11-18-2005, 06:39 AM
Oh thank you Miss Debra...and ya know it's just a "Small world" after all!

My buddies used to get me drunk and then try to talk me into doing midget tossing. I was like "NO!" My brittle bone disease would definitely not like that at all...no matter how drunk I was.

I will try to be a good midget here /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Shorty

Scott Lee
11-18-2005, 09:59 PM
Jack...True that I live in Montana, but I travel all over the country teaching!

Scott

Qtec
11-18-2005, 10:48 PM
I saw this Q on your website. I,m pretty sure the wood is Ash.

Q
http://www.shortycues.com/images/unknown-forearm.jpg

cycopath
11-21-2005, 01:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr>Cycopath:

Now that I'm trapped in Southern Alabama, maybe me, you and Shorty can meet somewhere in between (if I ever get a day off) and we can settle the Lower Alabama Championships. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Well, Shorty lives in Florida (and that's all I can say, he has many enemies... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif j/k) so he couldn't attend.

But I'm willing to go heads up with you for the Lower Alabama Championship. What discipline is this championship formatted for?

Seeings how there ain't no decent poolhall between you and I, we'll have to meet at a seedy bar halfway between us. Evergreen, AL. That limits the game of choice to 8ball or 9ball.

So there it is. The Lower Alabama 8Ball or 9Ball Championship will be held in a seedy bar in or near Evergreen, AL on an as of yet undetermined date and time.

Deeman3
11-21-2005, 03:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr>Cycopath:

Well, Shorty lives in Florida (and that's all I can say, he has many enemies... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif j/k) so he couldn't attend.

But I'm willing to go heads up with you for the Lower Alabama Championship. What discipline is this championship formatted for? <font color="blue"> Heck, I like one pocket, nine ball, anything that clicks.... </font color>

Seeings how there ain't no decent poolhall between you and I, we'll have to meet at a seedy bar halfway between us. Evergreen, AL. That limits the game of choice to 8ball or 9ball. <font color="blue"> I've seen Evergreen on a map so I can find it. I live in Brantley so I'll just put the truck in 4Wd and cut across country to the west/south/west. </font color>

So there it is. The Lower Alabama 8Ball or 9Ball Championship will be held in a seedy bar in or near Evergreen, AL on an as of yet undetermined date and time.

<font color="blue"> Just let me know with enough advanced notice to escape from work.... </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

Deeman

Shorty
11-22-2005, 03:20 AM
Hey Deeman, if you think Alabama is hot, try Mississippi...at least you guys got some great fishing there. I got friends up around Pine Hill and of course there in Mobile. Some mighty fine crappie fishing back in those waters, especially if you know how to sink an old Christmas tree.

Yeah, cyco is right...I am a wanted man on these forums these days. Been claiming I know how to shoot pool and know alot about cues and such. Evidently I don't know anything...so I guess I need the 5 and out from EVERYONE...might as well throw in the breaks as well. And oh I can try ya some of that game called one pocket if you will spot me 12-3 and bet at least a jelly a game.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Shorty

Deeman3
11-22-2005, 07:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Shorty:</font><hr> Hey Deeman, if you think Alabama is hot, try Mississippi...at least you guys got some great fishing there. I got friends up around Pine Hill and of course there in Mobile. Some mighty fine crappie fishing back in those waters, especially if you know how to sink an old Christmas tree.

Yeah, cyco is right...I am a wanted man on these forums these days. Been claiming I know how to shoot pool and know alot about cues and such. Evidently I don't know anything...so I guess I need the 5 and out from EVERYONE...might as well throw in the breaks as well. <font color="blue"> Shorty wants the Orange Crush from a stranger? </font color> And oh I can try ya some of that game called one pocket if you will spot me 12-3 and bet at least a jelly a game. <font color="blue"> Shorty, your a locksmith, I'm not fallin' for any of it. </font color>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Shorty <hr /></blockquote>

Qtec
11-22-2005, 08:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and know alot about cues and such <hr /></blockquote>

Is that why you ignored my post?
You dont know the dif between Maple and Ash? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
I take the time to view your website, I find a description of a cue you have for sale that I think is innacurate and I make a friendly suggestion that the wood the Q is made of is not Maple as you describe and you ignore me..?
Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif ...could be wrong about this but I dont think so.

cycopath
11-22-2005, 08:52 AM
DM3,

If we are to play one pocket, we'll have to meet in either Mobile or Montgomery to be able to play on a full sized table.

I'll let you know with plenty of time. Are your weekends or weekdays more open?

Deeman3
11-22-2005, 09:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> DM3,

If we are to play one pocket, we'll have to meet in either Mobile or Montgomery to be able to play on a full sized table. <font color="blue"> I'll settle for the nine ball or eigfht ball just so we don't have to travel so far. </font color>

I'll let you know with plenty of time. Are your weekends or weekdays more open? <font color="blue">Weekends are probably better for me. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Deeman
equal opportunity player...

Shorty
11-22-2005, 11:29 AM
Thanks Qtec for the correction...but the other side of that cue looks like BEM to me. Regardless, I sold the cue last Friday and it's on its way to its new owner in Maryland. I have not had a chance to go and update the website.

Thanks for pointing out my oversight...

Shorty

tateuts
11-22-2005, 08:38 PM
Welcome Shorty!

Chris

Shorty
11-23-2005, 06:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> Welcome Shorty!

Chris <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Chris, man I love your pages and want to say again I appreciate the work that went into them.

Now to find me that elusive old Schon /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Shorty

SplinterHands
11-23-2005, 08:52 AM
Welcome Shorty. Have you seen Drivermaker lately? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
SH/RO