PDA

View Full Version : Power Outage While Playing

PQQLK9
06-25-2002, 05:23 PM
It had to happen sooner or later...I treated the wife to lunch and pool at Mother's Billiards today and while I was lining up the 9 ball the power went off. The place was as dark as night (no windows)....they were back on in a minute or so..... I was wondering whats the weirdest thing to happen to you while playing?

cheesemouse
06-25-2002, 06:02 PM
PQQLK9,
When in highschool my buddies and I were playing a ring nineball game in the local PH. I was lining up a shot on the nineball when the guy on the next table miscued, mad, he reached out and swiped the cueball whereupon it flew onto our table and pocketed the nine in the pocket I was going for before my cueball reach the nine. It was a big laugh..... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
06-25-2002, 06:45 PM
While playing late (matching up) a long time ago in Memphis, there were about 6 of us in the pool hall when one of the windows about 30 feet from us, made a loud cracking sound, and when we all looked at that window, the window on the opposite side of the pool hall made the same loud cracking sound.

When we investigated, we found two bullet holes.. maybe a 22 caliber.. went right through the pool hall ... it was about 3 in the morning..

06-25-2002, 07:07 PM
Definitely...the bat incident.

Lots of strange things happen at WPBA tour stops, from hurricanes to earthquakes to tornadoes, but the strangest one was when we had to evacuate the place when a bat got into the room and started dive-bombing us while we were playing matches.

I was down on a shot and saw him coming towards me out of the corner of my eye. Tough choice...shoot the shot or duck the bat? I ducked. I draw the line at bats.

Fran

Kato
06-25-2002, 07:47 PM
I was playing with a buddy of mine, he broke, the cue ball shot straight up in the air and shattered the light. It was really funny. When I was practicing at home a few months back I had a shot and I couldn't figure out how to get to my last ball. I loaded it up with some kind of wacky stuff. The cue jumped off the table and danced on the wood part of the rail for 2 or 3 feet, spun into the opposite rail and died for perfect position. It ain't much, it's all I've got.

Kato

TheFish
06-25-2002, 08:06 PM
I got a pretty funny one.

My friend was trying this trick shot where if you are snookered by a ball and the rail u jump the ball into the rail and the ball should ideally bounce over the blocking ball into the object ball. Well, he was trying it and trying it, and i was laffing my butt off because he looked like such a retard doing it over and over again, and finally i decided to do a stupid imitation of him. So I placed a ball in the same position as his and jumped the cue ball into the rail.

The hilarious part.....
The cue ball jumps into the rail, and I think it was a little high so it flew up (like a pop up in baseball) and sailed 1 feet high and about 4 feet across (opposite the table direction ) and right smack in the center of my friends mobile fone screen. Needless to say, i felt guilty so i repaid him, but to this day, i never imitate my frineds stupid trick shots again.

Barbara
06-25-2002, 08:28 PM
Okay, so one time I'm playing at this PH and there's a fly buzzing and diving the table (not to be confused in the "nasty" section with Fran's bat - personally I would've been running and screaming if that happened). So I'm up taking my shot on a ball and as I hit the CB the fly decides to land on the table in the direct path of the CB. Got the fly and the ball in the same shot!!

Barbara~~~not so glam a story but then again, I am boring anyway...

Rich R.
06-26-2002, 04:34 AM
A couple weeks ago, playing in the APA playoffs, I got down on a shot, on the side of the table, with my back toward the next table. I'm aiming and getting ready to shoot, when the cue ball from the next table comes flying over the top of my head and bounces in front of me on the table. If I was still standing, it would have hit me in the head.

Does anybody know a source for helments for pool players?

Rich R.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-26-2002, 06:47 AM
APA match at a joint called Williamsdale Inn. My opponent was down on his shot. Lightning hit a tree in the parking lot just as he was stroking. It was the most god-awful sound I've ever heard. My opponent was so shook up he lost the match.

BTW we have a lot of storms aound here so I have played by candlelight, flashlight, and often by the emergency lamp thingy that sits by the EXIT sign.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-26-2002, 06:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fran Crimi:</font><hr>
Lots of strange things happen at WPBA tour stops, from hurricanes to earthquakes to tornadoes,
<hr></blockquote>

IIRC y'all had about a 2 hour delay due to power outage at VF 2000. Bad timing too because it occured just as the Sat. evening matches were winding down.

Fred Agnir
06-26-2002, 07:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>IIRC y'all had about a 2 hour delay due to power outage at VF 2000. Bad timing too because it occured just as the Sat. evening matches were winding down. <hr></blockquote>
I was there, but I don't know if it was 2000. I'm thinking it was '99. It was Gerda's shot against Allison (as well as a few other games). We waited and waited and waited. In the amateur area, some of the power was inexplicably still working, so play continued there.

When the lights came back on, the 6 or 7 of us that were still crazy enough to stick it out at the wee ours watched Gerda miss her shot. Allison ran out the game, and that was that. Set over. IIRC.

Fred &lt;~~~ probably has it all wrong

Wally_in_Cincy
06-26-2002, 08:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fred Agnir:</font><hr>
I was there, but I don't know if it was 2000. I'm thinking it was '99. It was Gerda's shot against Allison (as well as a few other games). We waited and waited and waited. In the amateur area, some of the power was inexplicably still working, so play continued there.

When the lights came back on, the 6 or 7 of us that were still crazy enough to stick it out at the wee hours watched Gerda miss her shot. Allison ran out the game, and that was that. Set over. IIRC.

Fred &lt;~~~ probably has it all wrong <hr></blockquote>

Well it WAS 2000 /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

I left at 11:00 p.m. cause I was tired and hungry. I'll never do that again. I missed a classic WPBA moment. I know Chris in NC stuck it out also.

I'm going to the Peoria WPBA event in August and I vow to watch ALL the matches....maybe /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

06-26-2002, 08:38 AM
I'm going to the Peoria WPBA event in August and I vow to watch ALL the matches....maybe

Is that in Peoria, IL.?

Wally_in_Cincy
06-26-2002, 08:53 AM
WPBA Midwest Classic in Peoria Aug. 22-25

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=20068&amp; page=0&amp;view=expanded&amp;sb=6&amp;o=2&amp;fpart=&amp;vc=

Barbara
06-26-2002, 09:21 AM
Fred,

It was year 2000. I was downstairs in what used to be an old movie theater (where I took my Mom to watch "Star Trek - The Movie") and I was running a 32-man tournament. When the lights went out it was pitch black since there weren't any emergency lights rigged up. In the upstairs amateur area, the only table lights that were on happened to be connected to the emergency lines.

What had happened was a car accident out on South Gulph Road that took out a light pole.

Barbara